Michael Owen and his relationship with the toon fans

Guest stevieintoon

Owen  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If he left, and you couldn't blame him given the shit he gets, it's Newcastle that lose, not Owen.

If he left he'd be taking a wage cut and we'd be saving over 100k a week so I'm not too sure about that.

Except we'd have to buy a replacement (probably paying over the odds for him) and we'd have to pay that replacement a comparable wage.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he left, and you couldn't blame him given the shit he gets, it's Newcastle that lose, not Owen.

If he left he'd be taking a wage cut and we'd be saving over 100k a week so I'm not too sure about that.

Are we brassik then?

Far superior to Martins and better than we are likely to get as a replacement should he leave. Hope he proves the doubters wrong as he could be a huge player for the club, fitness permitting. That last bit being the main problem. His attitude on the pitch for us has been spot on though.

He could do better on the PR-side re: Newcastle though. Not so much the recent comments that so much has been made of, rather things he hasn't said about being fully committed. I'd be gutted if he was forced out by an element within the fans. The same fucking muppets who sing the names of very average players, i.e. Steven Taylor, no doubt.

This where I've read up to in the thread and these are my thoughts, I will now proceed to the end of the thread.

P.S If i was at that talk in I would have told the daft cunt who piped up to wind his fucking neck in for being a tree. Where was the talk-in? Sunderland

Are we brassik then?

Not anymore now Ashley owns the club, however the wage bill is still too high and we've been losing alot of money over the past few years which is why we were so deep in debt.

Just because we're owned by a billionaire doesn't mean the club has to continue being ran at a loss.

Flog please.

Although I despise the little shit, I wouldn't boo him. It's just bad form to boo any one specific player I think. That said, the sooner...well, you've heard it all before.

Anelka is a possibility as many have said, I think some Spurs strikers might be willing to jump ship in January depending on how badly Jol wrecks their season before he's shown the door. Bent jumps out at me as having almost no play time there yet, he might want out. Defoe also hasn't had the best experience there as of late.

Flog please.

Although I despise the little shit, I wouldn't boo him. It's just bad form to boo any one specific player I think. That said, the sooner...well, you've heard it all before.

Anelka is a possibility as many have said, I think some Spurs strikers might be willing to jump ship in January depending on how badly Jol wrecks their season before he's shown the door. Bent jumps out at me as having almost no play time there yet, he might want out. Defoe also hasn't had the best experience there as of late.

He scores the winner against Wigan then gets another against Everton WTF do you want him to do?

He is employed to score goals, which he is doing.

He wants to play for the club and he wants to play for his country, he is passionate about England, so am I. I want England to do well and wish all the players had his attitude towards the national side.

Anyone who thinks we would be a better team without Owen knows nowt about football and those who think Oba is a better option just look at how many chances he misses

Flog please.

Aye, that'll be good news if they sign Owen. a player in a different league to the two others you mention above. Fucking clueless.

The thing about Owen is he never talks. Consequently, every man and his dog thinks they know what goes on in his head, and take his silence as validation of their sometimes idiotic viewpoints.

I do kind of agree with that, I would much rather footballers shut up and got on with it (I'm talking to you Stephen Taylor). However, having said that, Owen really should have come out at the start of the summer and put all the transfer speculation to bed. Instead, he did it just as the season started. Which adds fuel to the flames that he wanted to fuck off in the summer.

Flog please.

He scores the winner against Wigan then gets another against Everton WTF do you want him to do?

He wants to play for the club and he wants to play for his country, he is passionate about England, so am I. I want England to do well and wish all the players had his attitude towards the national side.

Anyone who thinks we would be a better team without Owen knows nowt about football and those who think Oba is a better option just look at how many chances he misses

QFT ;)

Flog please.

QFT ;)

QFT QFT

Flog please.

QFT ;)

QFT QFT

:icon_lol: weird

Flog please.

i'm struggling to think why you'd despise a player who has only ever given his best when fit, maintaining a strike rate of 1 goal in every 2 games he's played for us.

dispair at his injury record by all means, but you're obviously something of an oddball if you despise owen's attitude which has been nothing less than 100% professional since he's been at newcastle. and bent and defoe aren't in the same league as a fit michael owen.

The thing about Owen is he never talks. Consequently, every man and his dog thinks they know what goes on in his head, and take his silence as validation of their sometimes idiotic viewpoints.

I do kind of agree with that, I would much rather footballers shut up and got on with it (I'm talking to you Stephen Taylor). However, having said that, Owen really should have come out at the start of the summer and put all the transfer speculation to bed. Instead, he did it just as the season started. Which adds fuel to the flames that he wanted to fuck off in the summer.

I'd like to think it would have changed a thing, I doubt it though. We've got people on here who think Anelka is coming here after signing a contract 3 months ago, there's nothing factual you can say to some people, like I said, they think they know the kid better than himself. That's why he says nothing.

The only time he has said anything is when prompted by ill advised comments from the club itself, from Fat Fred and now Sam, which is a clear sign he does care, when you're getting shit off you're own club that's different from tripe written by half-wit journos digested by chronicle texting spackas.

Flog please.

i'm struggling to think why you'd despise a player who has only ever given his best when fit, maintaining a strike rate of 1 goal in every 2 games he's played for us.

dispair at his injury record by all means, but you're obviously something of an oddball if you despise owen's attitude which has been nothing less than 100% professional since he's been at newcastle. and bent and defoe aren't in the same league as a fit michael owen.

Bold #1: Edgar played what, 2 games for us last season? And scored against Man U? There's a 1 goal to 2 game strike rate for you. What I'm saying is, if he'd played 60 for us and scored 30, we might have something to talk about. He's played 20 league games. Those are some expensive 10 goals.

Bold #2: Disagree with this statement. Although most people on here are lamentably stuck in "hear-no-evil" mode when it comes to Owen, I think (and in this I am not alone even if others want to ignore it) that he places too much emphasis on playing for the national team and not enough on his club. That is unprofessional in my eyes.

Bold #3: Everyone keeps saying, fit Owen is class. Fit Owen is the best striker we've had, Fit Owen is glorious, etc. Who is this fit Owen guy? I don't think I've ever seen him. There comes a time when it's not just an "injury problem" any more.

Look, as I have said before, and maybe this will get the frankly ridiculous anti-Martins crowd off my back: I don't know if Martins is the man for the job at Newcastle. But I am sure that Owen as he is now is not. Maybe when we signed him, but no longer.

I'd like to think it would have changed a thing, I doubt it though. We've got people on here who think Anelka is coming here after signing a contract 3 months ago, there's nothing factual you can say to some people, like I said, they think they know the kid better than himself. That's why he says nothing.

The only time he has said anything is when prompted by ill advised comments from the club itself, from Fat Fred and now Sam, which is a clear sign he does care, when you're getting shit off you're own club that's different from tripe written by half-wit journos digested by chronicle texting spackas.

Players have left under big contracts before haven't they? I never said he's coming here either, someone asked a question who we'd replace Owen with if he left and I said Anelka =) Just have to look at their international records to see who's the better goalscorer so I hope we keep him.

I do also think Owen may have had some valid reasons for wanting to fuck off in the summer: Big Sam's trademark Big man up top style of football, our lack of european football, the players who were here at the beginning of summer.-.-. These are all reasons for me that Owen may have wanted to leave especially with that clause in his contract making him easy-pickings for whoever wanted to gamble on him.

Flog please.

Bold #1: Edgar played what, 2 games for us last season? And scored against Man U? There's a 1 goal to 2 game strike rate for you. What I'm saying is, if he'd played 60 for us and scored 30, we might have something to talk about. He's played 20 league games. Those are some expensive 10 goals.

Bold #2: Disagree with this statement. Although most people on here are lamentably stuck in "hear-no-evil" mode when it comes to Owen, I think (and in this I am not alone even if others want to ignore it) that he places too much emphasis on playing for the national team and not enough on his club. That is unprofessional in my eyes.

Bold #3: Everyone keeps saying, fit Owen is class. Fit Owen is the best striker we've had, Fit Owen is glorious, etc. Who is this fit Owen guy? I don't think I've ever seen him. There comes a time when it's not just an "injury problem" any more.

Look, as I have said before, and maybe this will get the frankly ridiculous anti-Martins crowd off my back: I don't know if Martins is the man for the job at Newcastle. But I am sure that Owen as he is now is not. Maybe when we signed him, but no longer.

Did you see the goals Owen scored against Israel and Russia? the 2nd against Israel was world fucking class. He did that how long ago? After major knee surgery on what was a career ending injury for some even five to ten years ago. He looks pretty sharp to me and I admit before the season started I had serious doubts about him as many had. He sure as heck proved me wrong with what he's done so far this season. If he stays fit for the rest of it then hopefully he can prove you and others wrong =)

that analogy is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

his attitude hasn't been anything less than professional. you can't argue with his commitement and his quality when he's played for us, surely? he stands out as one of our best players - not much debate there is there? the problem most people rightly have with owen is that we haven't seen enough of him, but then neither have england during the times when he's been injured.

a fit owen is class, and streets ahead of any of our other strikers in terms of natural ability and finishing. if you deny that, you are a moron.

i take that point if his ridiculous injury record continues but i think he's worth the gamble as we're unlikely to persuade another of the world's top strikers to join us.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Flog please.

Yep!! Sell Owen because he loves playing for his country the Fucking traitor.

Wake up!!

it could be argued he's motivated playing for England than he is for Newcastle. It could also be argued that the caliber of both teammates and opposition could be a contributory factor in his international form.

To all the doubters out there. There`s no doubt if he can get the service from the likes of Zoggy, Emre and Barton he will score a LOT of goals. Once he gets a feel for playing off Viduka that will also be a massive boost. If he can stay fit (ish) for the season I can see him bagging 25 goals at least.

He`s Englands number one striker and he plays for us FFS get off his case and get behind him

Edited by jaythesouthernmag

The press are obsessed with him playing for england man, have been ever since 1998. They see him as the great hope and given his goals for England its fair enough. The national press would not even bother to show him saying anything about the toon cos THEY couldn't give a fuck. This does not mean Michael doesn't give a fuck.

We are spoon fed the quotes the press want us to eat, and look what it is doing? Driving toon against toon. This is what they want man! ;)

Micheal Owen is 100% quality. I am over the moon he is playing for us. If he is getting a negative vibe from some supporters I'm sad to hear it. As a professional footballer, I'm convinced he is 100% committed to playing for us - as he would be for whichever club he played for.

As for cocking his ear to the Gallowgate, I missed when he did this. If he did it on Sunday, I would be surprised if he wasn't referring to the fact that the 'header' came off his ear.

As to going to Liverpool - no chance; they have their four strikers now.

Agree 100 percent, as for the cocking of the ear i am sure it was for the Everton fans and not the gallowgate, just so happened he wasnt at that end.

On a good day brilliant but how many of those have we had in the last 2 years.

ITS OBVIOUS HE ONLY CARES ABOUT ENGLAND.

True when he does play for us he usually manages to score but remember he is getting older 27 now another serious injury we see him approaching 30 before he is fully fit again so if he is to go down as a great player for us time is running out.