The Michael Owen Appreciation Thread

trophyshy

Utter fucking mongs criticising Owen tbh

Lamentable assessment of the situation tbh.

The fact of the matter is, Owen is very very media savvy. He's almost always the post match interviewee in games he's played in since being a very young playing age and he has always been able to articulate himself well. He also has a forum all of his own in the newspapers where, if the facts made it possible to do so, he could have stated a position that was beyond impugnment.

That being the case, nobody can say that we've got here due to a misunderstanding of his position. It's not a case that he's represented himself badly, it's just that, purely as a matter of fact, his position has 'rather taken the piss a bit' with regards to Newcastle United's best interests.

In other words he has prioritised England over Newcastle.

Like it or not, thats going to cause resentment amongst some of those who pay his wages and some of those who care more about the toon than they do about England. That's fair enough and it's a perfectly valid response.

Equally however, others (who also care about the Toon more than England) can live with it and there again this is completely fine-I don't think that position can be criticised either. They conclude that the benefits he brings make this position tolerable.

The only ones who are guilty of mongness however and should be shot with shit are:

a) anyone who boos him during a game-absolutely fucking unpardonable; and at the other end of the spectrum

;) anyone who insists we should believe Owen's version of events re where his priorities lie-utterly fucking insulting tbh.

In a nutshell, he's by far and away the best striker we've got. He's also by far and away better than anybody else we could hope to acquire as a replacement. We'll probably see less of him than any of our inferior strikers however because he's generally injury prone. What is also true is that in the comeback from his inevitable injuries (at a time when the player is most vulnerable to further injury) if the situation arises, he will as a matter of certainty put himself at a greater risk for England than he would do for the Toon, and thus act in complete conflict of interest with his paymasters.

Quite simply, people will take that or leave it and they are perfectly entitled to do so!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact of the matter is, Owen is very very media savvy. He's almost always the post match interviewee in games he's played in since being a very young playing age and he has always been able to articulate himself well. He also has a forum all of his own in the newspapers where, if the facts made it possible to do so, he could have stated a position that was beyond impugnment.

That being the case, nobody can say that we've got here due to a misunderstanding of his position. It's not a case that he's represented himself badly, it's just that, purely as a matter of fact, his position has 'rather taken the piss a bit' with regards to Newcastle United's best interests.

Like it or not, thats going to cause resentment amongst some of those who pay his wages and some of those who care more about the toon than they do about England. That's fair enough and it's a perfectly valid response.

Equally however, others (who also care about the Toon more than England) can live with it and there again this is completely fine-I don't think that position can be criticised either. They conclude that the benefits he brings make this position tolerable.

The only ones who are guilty of mongness however and should be shot with shit are:

a) anyone who boos him during a game-absolutely fucking unpardonable; and at the other end of the spectrum

;) anyone who insists we should believe Owen's version of events re where his priorities lie-utterly fucking insulting tbh.

In a nutshell, he's by far and away the best striker we've got. He's also by far and away better than anybody else we could hope to acquire as a replacement. We'll probably see less of him than any of our inferior strikers however because he's generally injury prone. What is also true is that in the comeback from his inevitable injuries (at a time when the player is most vulnerable to further injury) if the situation arises, he will as a matter of certainty put himself at a greater risk for England than he would do for the Toon, and thus act in complete conflict of interest with his paymasters.

Quite simply, people will take that or leave it and they are perfectly entitled to do so!

I think after that post you can expect a bumming from Snakehips.

Never mind the bumming, what happened to my 'point b??!!!' It's some twat in black glasses instead. This mong here---> :icon_lol: Get this guy sorted mods, his name's not on the list.

:icon_lol: anyone who insists we should believe Owen's version of events re where his priorities lie-utterly fucking insulting tbh.

Never mind the bumming, what happened to my 'point b??!!!' It's some twat in black glasses instead. This mong here---> :rolleyes: Get this guy sorted mods, his name's not on the list.

That's the Sammy I know, posting pointless shit like that. Not the one who posts quite a fantastic post if I do say so. ;)

I dunno, he clearly wants to play for England (which is fair enough).

But he's certainly played for Newcastle through pain.

I think the big problem is always that the question with his injuries in the national press is which England date will he be back for, not which Newcastle Premiership date will he make it back for...... even IF he himself IS aiming for a specific Newcastle game.

I don't think he's really risked himself for England when not doing so for Newcastle, and as I understand this operation he isn't doing so now.

You don't get to 7667 posts talking sense tbh. Just look at Gemmill if you want proof. No it's pointless shit all the way for me!

So by that logic Gemmill posts about 3 times as much pointless shit as you!

Fair point actually!

I think the big problem is always that the question with his injuries in the national press is which England date will he be back for, not which Newcastle Premiership date will he make it back for...... even IF he himself IS aiming for a specific Newcastle game.

I don't think he's really risked himself for England when not doing so for Newcastle, and as I understand this operation he isn't doing so now.

Fair enough if you think that. I just think it's naive in the extreme (at best).

Fair enough if you think that. I just think it's naive in the extreme (at best).

I just don't see how he can really win, and as he's really done nothing wrong I wouldn't be wanting to defend myself constantly either.

If he'd buggered off in the summer transfer then aye there'd be a lot to bitch about with him, but as of yet he hasn't.

Can someone tell me where Owen gets this 'injury prone' tag from? He broke a metatarsel - hardly uncommon in players, he had a freak knee injury (completely nothing to do with fitness whatsoever), and he's had a hernia - from which he's got back quicker than from the several assorted broken fingers, toes and eyes and ebola viruses I can remember from some of the true injury prone players we have had.

I just don't see how he can really win, and as he's really done nothing wrong I wouldn't be wanting to defend myself constantly either.

If he'd buggered off in the summer transfer then aye there'd be a lot to bitch about with him, but as of yet he hasn't.

And you can bet the very people who would bitch about him leaving are the ones pushing him out the door right now ;)

Can someone tell me where Owen gets this 'injury prone' tag from? He broke a metatarsel - hardly uncommon in players, he had a freak knee injury (completely nothing to do with fitness whatsoever), and he's had a hernia - from which he's got back quicker than from the several assorted broken fingers, toes and eyes and ebola viruses I can remember from some of the true injury prone players we have had.

Don't think he's been a one for major injuries to be honest (apart from at ours), but he definitely had plenty of patchy time out through injury at Liverpool.

He's not a crock by any means though and I never said he was.

Owen is a proven striker, he has scored goals in the premiership, in Spain and at international level. The guy is class and the minority who think we are better off without him should take a close look at last seasons efforts with Shola, Martins & Sibierski, none of whome are in the same league as Owen. We are very lucky to have a TOP striker considering we are rebuilding and may just scrape europe this season, with Owens help. I look forward to reading comments from the doubters when he scores a shit load of goals this season

And you can bet the very people who would bitch about him leaving are the ones pushing him out the door right now ;)

Thats neither here nor there. Some people feel disaffected by it all.

Guest stevieintoon

That's a good balanced post, it's said with more intelligence and eloquence than most on here are capable of. He's still a cunt though as far as I'm concerned.

That's a good balanced post, it's said with more intelligence and eloquence than most on here are capable of. He's still a cunt though as far as I'm concerned.

Translation: I still can't get past my irrational hatred of Scousers to the point where I'm able to make a balanced and eloquent post myself.

owen is a world class player playing in a team, that if we're all honest, isn't good enough for him.

This is just over the top now. Christ, man. I thought you had some sense. Have some pride in your team. What about Shearer? Were we not good enough for him? Owen means nothing to NUFC - nothing! - and if we lose him we'll lose nothing. What has he done in black and white?

Rename this thread to the Owen wankfest thread tbh.

For a yank you narf talk sense.

;)

I look forward to reading comments from the doubters when he scores a shit load of goals this season

I am willing to be proven wrong. My opinion of Owen could still change, if he gets his head up, stays fit, and for God's sake stops putting England before us. A bucketload of goals won't necessarily change that, however.

Example: Sib v. Owen. The gulf in class is immense. I still feel better about Sib pulling on the black and white than I do about Owen. Just because Owen is six times the striker doesn't mean he's six times the Mag. He's got something to prove - and that is that NUFC is important to him, that it is an honour for him to go out in our colours, and that other obligations aren't tying him down.

If he can prove it, you won't hear me complaining.

I still feel better about Sib pulling on the black and white than I do about Owen.

you're having a laugh there mate. i don't think i can take your posts seriously anymore if you'd honestly have le sib ahead of owen

I still feel better about Sib pulling on the black and white than I do about Owen.

you're having a laugh there mate. i don't think i can take your posts seriously anymore if you'd honestly have le sib ahead of owen

:icon_lol:

;) le sob.

I look forward to reading comments from the doubters when he scores a shit load of goals this season

I am willing to be proven wrong. My opinion of Owen could still change, if he gets his head up, stays fit, and for God's sake stops putting England before us. A bucketload of goals won't necessarily change that, however.

Example: Sib v. Owen. The gulf in class is immense. I still feel better about Sib pulling on the black and white than I do about Owen. Just because Owen is six times the striker doesn't mean he's six times the Mag. He's got something to prove - and that is that NUFC is important to him, that it is an honour for him to go out in our colours, and that other obligations aren't tying him down.

How can he prove that? Score goals? He's doing it and it means nothing (apparently).

Produce some iffy claptrap about how playing for Newcastle is the greatest honour he's ever had and is something he's dreamed of since he was a child? He'd only get shit for talking out of his arse.

I don't know what people realistically want from him, yes he's been a colossal waste of money in one sense, but on the pitch there's never really been an issue with him. Even off the pitch other than his two main injuries.

He's not going to stop playing for England (any time soon), so what is the point in pretending he is or indeed should?

Fuck off

Fuck off

+1