The Michael Owen Appreciation Thread

trophyshy

I look forward to reading comments from the doubters when he scores a shit load of goals this season

I am willing to be proven wrong. My opinion of Owen could still change, if he gets his head up, stays fit, and for God's sake stops putting England before us. A bucketload of goals won't necessarily change that, however.

Example: Sib v. Owen. The gulf in class is immense. I still feel better about Sib pulling on the black and white than I do about Owen. Just because Owen is six times the striker doesn't mean he's six times the Mag. He's got something to prove - and that is that NUFC is important to him, that it is an honour for him to go out in our colours, and that other obligations aren't tying him down.

If he can prove it, you won't hear me complaining.

Fuck off

;)

That reminded me of that episode of Phoenix Nights where Potter's out on his date and the bloke comes round with the roses.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look forward to reading comments from the doubters when he scores a shit load of goals this season

I am willing to be proven wrong. My opinion of Owen could still change, if he gets his head up, stays fit, and for God's sake stops putting England before us. A bucketload of goals won't necessarily change that, however.

Example: Sib v. Owen. The gulf in class is immense. I still feel better about Sib pulling on the black and white than I do about Owen. Just because Owen is six times the striker doesn't mean he's six times the Mag. He's got something to prove - and that is that NUFC is important to him, that it is an honour for him to go out in our colours, and that other obligations aren't tying him down.

Fuck off

:icon_lol:

That reminded me of that episode of Phoenix Nights where Potter's out on his date and the bloke comes round with the roses.

"Rose for the lady?"

"Fuck off"

;)

;)

Not too much fuckin appreciation going on I note. ho hum.

I work with some people who are ruthless selfish mercenaries and total cock-knockers, but as long as do what they're meant to then I am happy enough. If I like them then that's a bonus.

Michael does what we need when he can. Does his job well when he can. Does he REALLY need to bleed black and white to satisfy some of you people?

I tell you what, if you think he's such a cunt then boo him next time he scores the winner for us.

Edited by trophyshy

;):icon_lol::rolleyes:B)

Fuck right off you clueless twat! "Six times the Mag....our colours...blah blah blah". Perhaps if you had to part with money to stand in the pissing cold watching the numbers board go up and seeing that...oh...Antoine fucking Sibierski's coming off the bench to save the bastard day, is he?! (I cannot tell you how depressing it was to see the floodlights bouncing off his shiny head and realising that THIS was the only attacking option we had to turn the game around, and yet here you are telling me you'd sooner see him there than Michael Owen) you'd feel a bit different about the Sibierski vs Owen conundrum. I know I've had a go at you for not having a clue about football on several occasions, but I had no idea that the situation was quite this bad.

It's morons like acrossthepond that allowed Scott Parker to run around in circles week in, week out and get the captains fucking armband.

"He brings nothing to the team and he's average....

"Aye! But he's got pashun, yer knaaaaaaaaaa!"

;)

Fuck right off you clueless twat! "Six times the Mag....our colours...blah blah blah". Perhaps if you had to part with money to stand in the pissing cold watching the numbers board go up and seeing that...oh...Antoine fucking Sibierski's coming off the bench to save the bastard day, is he?! (I cannot tell you how depressing it was to see the floodlights bouncing off his shiny head and realising that THIS was the only attacking option we had to turn the game around, and yet here you are telling me you'd sooner see him there than Michael Owen) you'd feel a bit different about the Sibierski vs Owen conundrum. I know I've had a go at you for not having a clue about football on several occasions, but I had no idea that the situation was quite this bad.

This mentality about Newcastle being something oh so special has to change. If Owen comes out after every match telling every fucking newspaper in the world that he wants out I couldnt care less, as long as hes scoring goals. Its the same as when people were telling me they'd rather play "sexy" football and lose 4-3 instead of having a regular match winning 1-0. If every player thats supposed to play for us has to BLEED black and white, we're going to be stuck with Shola and if we're lucky, Fattison... I just dont want that, it was depressing enough last season :icon_lol:

This mentality about Newcastle being something oh so special has to change. If Owen comes out after every match telling every fucking newspaper in the world that he wants out I couldnt care less, as long as hes scoring goals. Its the same as when people were telling me they'd rather play "sexy" football and lose 4-3 instead of having a regular match winning 1-0. If every player thats supposed to play for us has to BLEED black and white, we're going to be stuck with Shola and if we're lucky, Fattison... I just dont want that, it was depressing enough last season :icon_lol:

I completely agree. Michael Owen can have black and white toilet roll specially made for him by a factory full of mackems just so he can wipe his arse on the colours, for all I care. He's the best player in the squad, he's better than anyone we can feasibly get in to replace him, and he'll score shitloads of goals for us. That's all that matters. Fucking Sibierski 6 times the Mag ffs. Who gives a shite who's the better "mag".

I completely agree. Michael Owen can have black and white toilet roll specially made for him by a factory full of mackems just so he can wipe his arse on the colours, for all I care. He's the best player in the squad, he's better than anyone we can feasibly get in to replace him, and he'll score shitloads of goals for us. That's all that matters. Fucking Sibierski 6 times the Mag ffs. Who gives a shite who's the better "mag".

Exactly. Narrow minded, sentimental tribalism is fucking irrelevant. And in the face of perpetual underachievement it is just sad.

Clarification: As you may read, in no way did I say I'd rather have Sib coming on than Owen because Sib will be better. That much is plain.

I stand by everything else. If Newcastle's nothing special, why do you support? Go support a special team then, whoever they are. If you don't want tribalism, ask yourself: what the fuck else do we have? Why do we have 50000 fans a game? It's not because the weather at SJP is nice.

;):icon_lol:

He's the best player in the squad, he's better than anyone we can feasibly get in to replace him, and he'll score shitloads of goals for us. That's all that matters.

Amen to that, brother.

As I said this morning, some of the simpletons chasing Owen away should be careful what they wish for. They'll maybe realise that as we're scrabbling around in the bottom six with a team of committed Ramages, Pattisons and Ameobis.

He's the best player in the squad, he's better than anyone we can feasibly get in to replace him, and he'll score shitloads of goals for us. That's all that matters.

Amen to that, brother.

As I said this morning, some of the simpletons chasing Owen away should be careful what they wish for. They'll maybe realise that as we're scrabbling around in the bottom six with a team of committed Ramages, Pattisons and Ameobis.

Clarification: As you may read, in no way did I say I'd rather have Sib coming on than Owen because Sib will be better. That much is plain.

I stand by everything else. If Newcastle's nothing special, why do you support? Go support a special team then, whoever they are. If you don't want tribalism, ask yourself: what the fuck else do we have? Why do we have 50000 fans a game? It's not because the weather at SJP is nice.

I don't expect players to be supporters in this day and age. If you believe they should be then you're deluded. Owen, like any other player is doing a job and one that he just happens to be bloody good at. He could have a face like a smacked arse for 90 minutes but if he's knocking in the goals I don't give a toss.

you won't hear me complaining.

I severely doubt it as you've set some pretty ridiculous standards for him to meet.

As Owen's already scored more in less than Sibi, I guess you had no other option than to resort to the universally recognised football stat, 'Magness' ;)

Guest Patrokles

As a Newcastle supporter, I am more than happy to see Owen playing for us and scoring. I won't be sobbing myself to sleep if he scores 25 this season, but doesn't get a Newcastle tattoo.

For the record, I also believe that he does care to an extent about the club. Just not to the extent of an Alan Shearer or Bobby Robson.

But here's a thought; I bet he cares far more whether we win or lose than you do.

Why do we have 50000 fans a game? It's not because the weather at SJP is nice.

To see good footballers maybe?

I think you must be the only person on the planet who actually agreed when Fat Fred made his 'team full of geordies' comments.

All we need is for his injuries to clear up so he can get a good run of games for us and all this shite will, hopefully, go away.

A good run in the team, and a lot of goals scored, and Owen will see how much even the most cold-hearted of Newcastle supporters love him and want him to stay. Let's just hope he stays injury free.

Rest assured, I will be singing 'There's only one Michael Owen' against Spurs, so he can hear it quite clearly.

All we need is for his injuries to clear up so he can get a good run of games for us and all this shite will, hopefully, go away.

A good run in the team, and a lot of goals scored, and Owen will see how much even the most cold-hearted of Newcastle supporters love him and want him to stay. Let's just hope he stays injury free.

Rest assured, I will be singing 'There's only one Michael Owen' against Spurs, so he can hear it quite clearly.

;)

Acrossthepond will have to shout very fucking loud to scupper that plan

Why are we even having this debate?

The reason Owen left Madrid in the first place was to get regular first-team football as without it, his england place wasn't guaranteed. That still stands so why in the name of christ would he be not wanting to turn out for Newcastle?

Nowt more than tabloid bullshit which some people seem to be docile enough to take in. Scratch the surface and its not hard to see there's absolutely no foundation or substance.

I seriously doubt too many Premiership footballers actually give a flying fuck about the club they play for other than them being a vehicle to further their careers.

I seriously doubt too many Premiership footballers actually give a flying fuck about the club they play for other than them being a vehicle to further their careers.

I agree....

But then without actually playing for the club in question, how on earth can they further their careers?

I wonder if over at Wigan they were slagging Heskey for playing for England, beating him with the fact that Sibierski had more 'Wigan-ness' than Heskey?

I wonder if they're at all pissed off at having one of their players thinking about England, or are they more concerned with having two crap footballers on their books rather than the likes of Owen?

Edited by RlCO

I agree....

But then without actually playing for the club in question, how on earth can they further their careers?

It just goes to show how overblown this whole thing is, I don't recall either Allardyce saying Owen must not play for England, nor do I recall Owen saying he's not prepared to play for his club.

This whole shit-storm is just media bullshit.

Nobody is questioning his ability as a player. that at his best he is a world class player is not in doubt.

Neither his desire to play for England, top class player belongs in the team.

What is at question is his loyalty to Newcastle over England especially when he seems to be ignoring the advice of the club doctors and Big Sam in order to get in the England team.

All of us want him to stay at Newcastle and become another Shearer, Gascoine , Beardsley etc. but untill he changes his attitude it aint going to happen. He seems to think playing the odd game for us and scoring the odd goal is enough but it aint.

Shearer retired from international football early saying at the time it was to spend more time with his family but it also enabled him to concentrate on playing for us. He even had the chance to move on and didnt.

Need i say more?

Edited by pertoon

Nobody is questioning his ability as a player. that at his best he is a world class player is not in doubt.

What is at question is his loyalty to Newcastle over England especially when he seems to be ignoring the advice of the club doctors and Big Sam in order to get in the England team.

All of us want him to stay at Newcastle and become another Shearer, Gascoine , Beardsley etc. but untill he changes his attitude it aint going to happen. He seems to think playing the odd game for us and scoring the odd goal is enough but it aint.

Shearer retired from international football early saying at the time it was to spend more time with his family but it also enabled him to concentrate on playing for us. He even had the chance to move on and didnt.

Need i say more?

I wish spastics like you would realise we can't expect every world class player (and we are very fucking lucky to have one) who plays for us to love us so irrationally like Shearer did. The three players you mention are all geordies. Owen isn't. Would you be happy if Gerrard or Rooney quit international football to further their club careers, or turned down moves to us to be with their beloved teams? Stop being so narrow minded you one eyed twat.

Need i say more?

Any liverpoo supporter could tell you that, he was the same when he played for them. We knew exactly what we were getting when we signed him (and therefore have no right to complain about it). He's a single minded lad so that aint going to change now.