Current Toon Heroes

wykikitoon

Whilst listening to the wireless and TalkSport in particular this evening, there was talk of current sporting heroes, or the lack of them.

I was wondering apart from Shay, there isnt anyone in the current squad that makes me smile and think, Yes he plays for us. Owen for me is a good but too injury prone.

In the past we have had Shearer, Les, Pedro, Cole, Lee etc etc Some great players and even the likes of Albert, Ginola have made me think great stuff.

So what do you think?

Whilst listening to the wireless and TalkSport in particular this evening, there was talk of current sporting heroes, or the lack of them.

I was wondering apart from Shay, there isnt anyone in the current squad that makes me smile and think, Yes he plays for us. Owen for me is a good but too injury prone.

In the past we have had Shearer, Les, Pedro, Cole, Lee etc etc Some great players and even the likes of Albert, Ginola have made me think great stuff.

So what do you think?

I think naturally Legend status goes hand in hand with periods of relative success, unless it's in recognition of proper genius (gascoine, beardo)

Given, Martins, Solano.

I know Solano's moved on but I think he spent long enough and certainly had enough fan support to be called a Toon hero. There's a player who had it all - skill, committment, rapport with the fans. A true Mag, Nobby Solano. If we could have a team full of players like him I'd accept wherever we ended up, be it 2nd 12th or 20th. ;)

(only half taking this piss here - serious about Solano.)

Given and Harper are the only two in the current squad that deserve to come close to legend status.

As much as I was a huge fan of Nobby's the way he engineered his move away and that shite club he chose to move to lost him all legend status imho.

Guest stevieintoon
stevieintoon deserves legend status.

The term legend is often overused and chronically misused. On this occasion though I feel it's appropriate.

Nar honestly though, you see the Masters, and they're billed as Newcastle Legends v Sunderland Legends, and you see the likes of Kevin Scott and Ian Bogie running aboot.

To me Newcastle has three legends, although, I'd accept about another ten being loosely called legends. I'd say Peter, Wor Jackie, and Hughie Gallagher who many will tell you was the best player in the world at the time. Maybe I'm being pedantic not putting Shearer and Super Alk in.

We might not have another genuine legend for 50 years.

With the current squad, it seems a lot of fans turn against them.

Taylor has gone from future hero, to billy big bollocks. Martins has gone from the player who kept us up last season to a donkey, Ameobi gets stick, Parker got stick, Carr gets abused, Boumsong and Dyer got loads of abuse, Owen is the current scape-goat.

Barton could go either way, I'm not sure what the City fans thought of him, but the local press were sick of him there.

It seems you'll only be a 'legend' if you're telling the fans how much you love the place in the Chronicle once per week, like Nobby.

Given is our current hero, but like Skol said I could see Enrique, Rozehnal, Cacapa and Barton becoming future heros.

Not so much Cacapa, just because hes on the wrong side of 30 so i don't he will be here long enough to gain hero/legend status.

stevieintoon deserves legend status.

The term legend is often overused and chronically misused. On this occasion though I feel it's appropriate.

Nar honestly though, you see the Masters, and they're billed as Newcastle Legends v Sunderland Legends, and you see the likes of Kevin Scott and Ian Bogie running aboot.

To me Newcastle has three legends, although, I'd accept about another ten being loosely called legends. I'd say Peter, Wor Jackie, and Hughie Gallagher who many will tell you was the best player in the world at the time. Maybe I'm being pedantic not putting Shearer and Super Alk in.

We might not have another genuine legend for 50 years.

How the fuck do you not include Joe Harvey in that list?

For someone who claims to know a lot about NUFC that's a huge omission.