Sven wants Owen at Man City

Scottish Mag

football_index_spla_371270a.jpg

SVEN-GORAN ERIKSSON will plead with his board to sign Michael Owen in January.

The Newcastle striker has been rowing with boss Sam Allardyce about whether he is fit to play two games for England in four days after recent operations.

Manchester City manager Eriksson hopes to capitalise on the unrest with a bid but Owen’s fee could be a whopping £15million plus £110,000-a-week wages.

That could be too much cash for former England boss Eriksson, even though he has been told by owner Thaksin Shinawatra there will be cash available in January.

Owen, 27, has failed to settle on Tyneside and the fans have never truly taken to him.

They feel he would have rather returned to Liverpool or signed with another big English club when he joined Toon for £16m from Real Madrid in 2005.

But Newcastle were the only ones prepared to take the gamble.

The perception in the North East is Owen loves his country more than his club, having made just 17 starts for the Geordies.

Owen was also slow to pledge his commitment to Newcastle when it was revealed he could leave last summer due to an £11m get-out clause in his contract — which has since expired.

He was booed when he came on in the 3-2 win over Everton last weekend — and cocked an ear towards the fans when he scored.

A move to City may not be his ideal choice but Manchester United refused the chance to sign him in the summer.

United are unlikely to change their minds — and the same goes for Liverpool.

During his time as England boss, Eriksson told a fake sheik in a newspaper sting that Owen was not happy at Toon. But both men will forget the matter if it suits their purposes.

If the hitman moves to City, Allardyce will raid former club Bolton for Nicolas Anelka.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I heard this yesterday, and I can see it happening. Weakening us and strengthening Man City who have probably already leapfrogged us. Still, at least we won't have to worry about him wanting to play for England anymore.

Not being pro or against Owen but at 15m it would almost be sensible to sell but only if the club has someone like Anelka lined up. Premiership proven and with a future.

There is no doubt Owen's injuries have taken their toll on his overall game and you have to wonder in another year or two whether he will be as prolific a goal scorer.

maybe someone can clear things up, was it Owen coming on or Martins going off that was being booed?

Looked more to me like Martins going off... or Martins in general. However, Owens goal celebration was rather subdued so perhaps he thought otherwise?

Not being pro or against Owen but at 15m it would almost be sensible to sell but only if the club has someone like Anelka lined up. Premiership proven and with a future.

There is no doubt Owen's injuries have taken their toll on his overall game and you have to wonder in another year or two whether he will be as prolific a goal scorer.

Have to agree there. If this allowed us to bring in Anelka and another top player it would be a good move for all concerned. Or a swap deal for Elano or Richards would do ;)

Have to agree there. If this allowed us to bring in Anelka and another top player it would be a good move for all concerned. Or a swap deal for Elano, Richards & Petrov would do ;)

FYP

Have to agree there. If this allowed us to bring in Anelka and another top player it would be a good move for all concerned. Or a swap deal for Elano or Richards would do ;)

I am another whilst neither pro or anti Owen who would be more than happy to see Anelka brought in if Owen goes.

I wouldn't see it as weakening us either as whilst Anelka may not be as prolific as Owen I think his all round general play is IMO. That and the fact that I would think Anelka would go for a fee around 9 million meaning we would have another 6 million to strengthen the team elsewhere.

Assuming this isn't utter BS then £15 million might well be a decent price.

BUT the thing is no matter the price who would we get that is as good?

Martins was £11m (I think?) and is he really within £4m of Owen in ability?

That's basically speculation, nothing more. He's had an injury that Ruud Van Nistelrooy got before he joined Man Utd. He's had an injury that Wayne Rooney and Ronaldo have come out of. I really don't get the 'overall game' comment, he's never had one as far as I can see.

Money is irrevelevant, I'd be amazed if Owen was sold for pure money reasons. And as for getting Anelka, he signed a contract with Bolton at the start of the season, so it's quite clear Allardyce didn't want him.

The only reason Owen might leave is if Allardyce actually really doesn't like him, which unless they are both total liars, is just rubbish.

That's basically speculation, nothing more. He's had an injury that Ruud Van Nistelrooy got before he joined Man Utd. He's had an injury that Wayne Rooney and Ronaldo have come out of. I really don't get the 'overall game' comment, he's never had one as far as I can see.

Money is irrevelevant, I'd be amazed if Owen was sold for pure money reasons. And as for getting Anelka, he signed a contract with Bolton at the start of the season, so it's quite clear Allardyce didn't want him.

The only reason Owen might leave is if Allardyce actually really doesn't like him, which unless they are both total liars, is just rubbish.

When did Rooney do his cruciate.... ;)

He was booed when he came on in the 3-2 win over Everton last weekend — and cocked an ear towards the fans when he scored.

I didn't hear anyone boo him

Even tho £15m would be a good price to sell him for, Anelka would be available for max £13m so we could make a bit of profit.

Edited by bawan

metatarsel

You tell me then we both know :icon_lol:

Edited by bawan

metatarsel

Aye, because that's the injury you were on about.

metatarsel

Yes it was. Hence the full stop.

metatarsel

OK, sorry. But how is that injury relevent to what you're on about? I.e. effecting his game? It would be pertinent if another player had had two injuries like Owen but the metatarsal alone isn't really going to make any difference so I don't get the Rooney comparison. Re: Anelka, I'm pretty sure Allardyce would have gone in for Anelka if either Owen or Martins had left and his signing a new contract doesn't stop him going in for him in the future either.

Edited by alex

15m might be a little too much to turn down, all things considered. But of course, it'll be 15m to get us interested/him talking, and by the time it's done, 9m.

metatarsel

OK, sorry. But how is that injury relevent to what you're on about? I.e. effecting his game? It would be pertinent if another player had had two injuries like Owen but the metatarsal alone isn't really going to make any difference so I don't get the Rooney comparison. Re: Anelka, I'm pretty sure Allardyce would have gone in for Anelka if either Owen or Martins had left and his signing a new contract doesn't stop him going in for him in the future either.

I'd much rather have Anelka AND Owen than Anelka OR Owen though.

metatarsel

I'd much rather have Anelka AND Owen than Anelka OR Owen though.

So would I.

Edited by alex

metatarsel

OK, sorry. But how is that injury relevent to what you're on about? I.e. effecting his game? It would be pertinent if another player had had two injuries like Owen but the metatarsal alone isn't really going to make any difference so I don't get the Rooney comparison.

Well I'm not sure what you're on about either, but I don't think having those two injuries would affect his game, certainly not physically anyway. The point is all that was basically speculation as to possible effects, you'd be mad to sell him for those reasons.

And to my mind, Sam would definitely have had him AND Owen, unless he thought he would make too much noise from the bench. No way would Sam think Shola is better than Anelka, and possibly not even Martins on the experience front.

metatarsel

OK, sorry. But how is that injury relevent to what you're on about? I.e. effecting his game? It would be pertinent if another player had had two injuries like Owen but the metatarsal alone isn't really going to make any difference so I don't get the Rooney comparison.

Well I'm not sure what you're on about either, but I don't think having those two injuries would affect his game, certainly not physically anyway. The point is all that was basically speculation as to possible effects, you'd be mad to sell him for those reasons.

And to my mind, Sam would definitely have had him AND Owen, unless he thought he would make too much noise from the bench. No way would Sam think Shola is better than Anelka, and possibly not even Martins on the experience front.

You didn't understand my question? OK.