Sven wants Owen at Man City

Scottish Mag

If RVN was peddled for fitness reasons that's news to me. And like I said, a 90% Owen is far better than we've had for years, I can't believe people are shocked that he can't run as fast as when he was 19. To reduce his game simply to 'he can run fast' you might as well sell him as Martins can do him in the hundred metres.

What didn't your mate Sir Alex clear that with you?

Of course it was part of it, just watch Saha go at the end of the season.

It's not just about speed, it's about strength in the knee on his preferred leg.

Anyway discussing this with you is like looking for something worthwhile in the Sun, you don't get the club is a business, you don't get the most of us here understand he is the best striker at the club and you don't get that strength isn't about running really fast.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being pro or against Owen but at 15m it would almost be sensible to sell but only if the club has someone like Anelka lined up. Premiership proven and with a future.

There is no doubt Owen's injuries have taken their toll on his overall game and you have to wonder in another year or two whether he will be as prolific a goal scorer.

Money is irrevelevant, I'd be amazed if Owen was sold for pure money reasons.

The only reason Owen might leave is if Allardyce actually really doesn't like him...

#1. I agree with completely. Would I have 15mil for Owen? Like many others, I would. (Or, yes, Martins, I don't love him that much...) Are we so desperate for the money that we'd need to sell him? I don't think so.

#2. This is the only reason he might be sold... not sure if it's the only reason he might leave.

Of course money is relevant and it's naive to think it isn't, whether we're owned by a billionaire or not it doesn't take away from the fact the club is being ran as a business, no other business would turn down £15 million for a player who could possibly leave in the summer for alot less if we don't qualify for Europe due to a buy out clause, or even for free in 18 months time.

Woodgate is proof that the club will cash in on a player if they feel financially it's the best time to sell, we may have Mort here now but I'd be surprised if he didn't do the same.

We've been down this road before, you seem obsessed with money. On absolutely no account would Owen be sold for financial reasons, everything I've read from Mort and everything he's done so far confirms that to me. If he was sold for money reasons alone it would be a disgrace, and show an alarming precedent from the new regime.

I'm not obsessed with money, it's called being realistic which is what happens when a club is being ran as a business.

Realistically we would never get a chance to get £15 million for Owen again, if we don't qualify for Europe what would his buy out clause drop to?

The club should offer him a new contract and if he refuses to sign it then cash in on him in January.

Ashley has just pumped in nearly £200m for the cause of making this a succesfull club. Do you seriously think he's going to sell the best footballer on the books just to claw back £15m?

But the £200 million he's spent is still there, by wiping the debt off it will only add to the value of the club.

Do you think he won't cash in on Owen and risk losing him in 6 months for half of that if we don't qualify for Europe? He's not Abramovich who seems happy to throw money at a club with little chance of getting it back, he's a business man and there is no way he's going to risk losing that sort of money.

Do you think that attitude is the mark of running a succesful club, abramovic style or not?

I can only think of Man U that actively sold good players, but the difference to us is they did it from a position of having a steady supply of better players coming in and revenues to buy them. Ferguson is on record as having admitted selling some of those players was a mistake.

Yes I do.

If we get offered £15 million for Owen then we would be idiots not to sell unless he signs a new contract, Allardyce will realise he has a better chance of replacing him with £15 million in January rather than £6 million or whatever his buy out clause may be in the summer, it doesn't mean we're not being run properly, it means we realise we're getting the best possible deal that will likely be available to us.

I'd be more worried about how the club was being ran if Owen were to walk away for half of what we could of got for him in January a few months later, do you think Liverpool were wrong to sell him for £8 million when they did or do you think they would have been better off letting him walk away 12 months later for free? Plenty of clubs cash in on their better players, we wouldn't be the first or the last.

If RVN was peddled for fitness reasons that's news to me. And like I said, a 90% Owen is far better than we've had for years, I can't believe people are shocked that he can't run as fast as when he was 19. To reduce his game simply to 'he can run fast' you might as well sell him as Martins can do him in the hundred metres.

What didn't your mate Sir Alex clear that with you?

Of course it was part of it, just watch Saha go at the end of the season.

It's not just about speed, it's about strength in the knee on his preferred leg.

Anyway discussing this with you is like looking for something worthwhile in the Sun, you don't get the club is a business, you don't get the most of us here understand he is the best striker at the club and you don't get that strength isn't about running really fast.

So you claim to know why AF sold him, but I can't? That's a good one. Saha? Exactly my point, you are advocating his sale on predictions of the future. I know the club is a business. How do you increase revenues at a football club? Not by selling good players. Go and read some of Allardyce and Mort's comments if you are confused about their intentions and philosophies regarding football and business. And strength is now what Owen's lost, not speed? That's debatable at the very least.

oh, and for the Sun comment, fuck you too

Not being pro or against Owen but at 15m it would almost be sensible to sell but only if the club has someone like Anelka lined up. Premiership proven and with a future.

There is no doubt Owen's injuries have taken their toll on his overall game and you have to wonder in another year or two whether he will be as prolific a goal scorer.

Money is irrevelevant, I'd be amazed if Owen was sold for pure money reasons.

The only reason Owen might leave is if Allardyce actually really doesn't like him...

#1. I agree with completely. Would I have 15mil for Owen? Like many others, I would. (Or, yes, Martins, I don't love him that much...) Are we so desperate for the money that we'd need to sell him? I don't think so.

#2. This is the only reason he might be sold... not sure if it's the only reason he might leave.

Of course money is relevant and it's naive to think it isn't, whether we're owned by a billionaire or not it doesn't take away from the fact the club is being ran as a business, no other business would turn down £15 million for a player who could possibly leave in the summer for alot less if we don't qualify for Europe due to a buy out clause, or even for free in 18 months time.

Woodgate is proof that the club will cash in on a player if they feel financially it's the best time to sell, we may have Mort here now but I'd be surprised if he didn't do the same.

We've been down this road before, you seem obsessed with money. On absolutely no account would Owen be sold for financial reasons, everything I've read from Mort and everything he's done so far confirms that to me. If he was sold for money reasons alone it would be a disgrace, and show an alarming precedent from the new regime.

I'm not obsessed with money, it's called being realistic which is what happens when a club is being ran as a business.

Realistically we would never get a chance to get £15 million for Owen again, if we don't qualify for Europe what would his buy out clause drop to?

The club should offer him a new contract and if he refuses to sign it then cash in on him in January.

Ashley has just pumped in nearly £200m for the cause of making this a succesfull club. Do you seriously think he's going to sell the best footballer on the books just to claw back £15m?

But the £200 million he's spent is still there, by wiping the debt off it will only add to the value of the club.

Do you think he won't cash in on Owen and risk losing him in 6 months for half of that if we don't qualify for Europe? He's not Abramovich who seems happy to throw money at a club with little chance of getting it back, he's a business man and there is no way he's going to risk losing that sort of money.

Do you think that attitude is the mark of running a succesful club, abramovic style or not?

I can only think of Man U that actively sold good players, but the difference to us is they did it from a position of having a steady supply of better players coming in and revenues to buy them. Ferguson is on record as having admitted selling some of those players was a mistake.

Yes I do.

If we get offered £15 million for Owen then we would be idiots not to sell unless he signs a new contract, Allardyce will realise he has a better chance of replacing him with £15 million in January rather than £6 million or whatever his buy out clause may be in the summer, it doesn't mean we're not being run properly, it means we realise we're getting the best possible deal that will likely be available to us.

I'd be more worried about how the club was being ran if Owen were to walk away for half of what we could of got for him in January a few months later, do you think Liverpool were wrong to sell him for £8 million when they did or do you think they would have been better off letting him walk away 12 months later for free? Plenty of clubs cash in on their better players, we wouldn't be the first or the last.

Liverpool were right to sell as he made it clear he was going to leave anyway, he's done nothing of the sort here, although with the attitude of yours that he could be easily replaced, and fuck off if you don't like it, I'd be right behind him if he said he wanted out. The fact is you've taken this 'the club is a business idea' way over the top to the complete disregarding of Owen's stated ambitions and the not too distant recent record of NUFC being unable to build a squad of good players without spending more than they recieve. If you think there's a player out there who'd come here that's better than Owen for his realistic selling price then name that player.

Guest Patrokles
Liverpool were right to sell as he made it clear he was going to leave anyway, he's done nothing of the sort here, although with the attitude of yours that he could be easily replaced, and fuck off if you don't like it, I'd be right behind him if he said he wanted out. The fact is you've taken this 'the club is a business idea' way over the top to the complete disregarding of Owen's stated ambitions and the not too distant recent record of NUFC being unable to build a squad of good players without spending more than they recieve. If you think there's a player out there who'd come here that's better than Owen for his realistic selling price then name that player.

Michael Chopra.

Michael Chopra.

ScannersExplodingHead.gif

15m for a player we only paid 9m ish for???

i'd be drawing up the contracts now....

£15m is a paper quote, secondly, that ish bit included money we were yet to recieve for Woodgate. This is nowhere near the classification of 'good business', not in football terms or money terms. Selling Dyer is good business. Sacking Souness is good business. Improving the team to improve revenues is good business.

Which is why I've said offer him a contract now and if he turns that down then sell him in January, which would be the same as what Liverpool done apart from we would sell him with 18 months left on his contract for alot more money.

If Owen were to walk away for free in 18 months or for around £6 million in the summer because we didn't qualify for Europe then where is the money going to come from to replace him? The fact is lad bigger clubs than Newcastle cash in on their better players if they think it's a good deal, £15 million for an injury prone player with 18 months on his contract and god knows what sort of get out clauses thrown in is a good deal.

As for a replacement, I'd like Anelka here as he's not only a better striker than Owen but he's more versatile too.

Edited by Baggio

Guest James_coDurham

Which is why I've said offer him a contract now and if he turns that down then sell him in January, which would be the same as what Liverpool done apart from we would sell him with 18 months left on his contract for alot more money.

If Owen were to walk away for free in 18 months or for around £6 million in the summer because we didn't qualify for Europe then where is the money going to come from to replace him? The fact is lad bigger clubs than Newcastle cash in on their better players if they think it's a good deal, £15 million for an injury prone player with 18 months on his contract and god knows what sort of get out clauses thrown in is a good deal.

As for a replacement, I'd like Anelka here as he's not only a better striker than Owen but he's more versatile too.

Bollocks

For a start, Big Sam does not want or couldn't get Anelka, he signed a contract on 30 Aug so that's dead and buried.

As I said before, if you carry on with the attitude you espouse, which basically amounts to 'fuck you, I don't believe what you say' then yes your strategy might be a good one. In the real world it's total crap.

Not that I've been that bothered but I'd be interested to know how much is left on Taylor's contract and what you're opinions are on the lad, regarding this mythical 18 month financial milestone. And let's forget £15m for a start, it's a newspaper figure. If the buying club thinks the way you do he would be worth half that.

Like I've said, for us, Owen is not injury prone but unlucky, as Alex pointed out he might have had a few before, frankly I never paid much attention before he signed for us, it didn't concern me then. Would you have signed Shearer at 27? Just as injury 'prone' as Owen I would bet.

You have a negative attitude that assumes the worst regarding players. No one has won jack shit thinking like that. Like I said, Man U have maybe sold a player for finacnial reasons that deserved to be in the team, Alex Ferguson himself has admitted that was probably wrong.

For a start, Big Sam does not want or couldn't get Anelka, he signed a contract on 30 Aug so that's dead and buried.

As I said before, if you carry on with the attitude you espouse, which basically amounts to 'fuck you, I don't believe what you say' then yes your strategy might be a good one. In the real world it's total crap.

Not that I've been that bothered but I'd be interested to know how much is left on Taylor's contract and what you're opinions are on the lad, regarding this mythical 18 month financial milestone. And let's forget £15m for a start, it's a newspaper figure. If the buying club thinks the way you do he would be worth half that.

Like I've said, for us, Owen is not injury prone but unlucky, as Alex pointed out he might have had a few before, frankly I never paid much attention before he signed for us, it didn't concern me then. Would you have signed Shearer at 27? Just as injury 'prone' as Owen I would bet.

You have a negative attitude that assumes the worst regarding players. No one has won jack shit thinking like that. Like I said, Man U have maybe sold a player for finacnial reasons that deserved to be in the team, Alex Ferguson himself has admitted that was probably wrong.

How do you know he doesn't want Anelka? Also, how do you know he couldn't get him? Contracts mean very little these days and if you think Anelka signed a contract extension at Bolton because he see's his long term future there then I think you will find yourself mistaken in the near future.

As for my attitude, it's one that's realistic to the predicament we're in, here's a question for you; Do you think the club should look to extend Michael Owen's contract? If they offered to extend it and he refused, would you sell him or let him run his contract down?

Also trying to compare Shearer's injuries to Owen's is pointless, Shearer's injuries have always been major injuries where as Owen has always suffered throughout his career with hamstring strains and things like that, he only managed 10 games for us up until he broke his foot on New Years Eve because he was missing games with strains and pulls, similar to how he missed most of pre season with a thigh strain.

As I've told you before which doesn't sink in, better clubs than us have sold their best players because it was the right time financially, Wenger is the prime example of moving players on when it's best financially for them like Overmars and Petit, Juzentus cashed in on Zidane when he was the best player in the World for a World record fee because it was right for them, also Madrid with Redondo etc.

Just to clarify, I'd offer Owen a new contract and if he didn't sign I'd look to move him on and get money for him while we can as the last thing we want is a top player walking away on a free transfer or for a reduced fee, also your comments like "If the buying club thinks the way you do he would be worth half that." are not even worth getting into a debate about, rather pathetic fwiw, similar to the "fuck you, I don't believe what you say" bollocks which has nothing to do with whether Owen would sign a new contract or not.

As for Taylor, he's the most overrated player in the squad and him and Milner are your typical mid table players, I wouldn't lose any sleep if both were moved on.

No offence Rico, but you're hard work.

Anelka signed a contract at the end of August, after Sam had been here for months buying players like they were going out of fashion. It's pretty clear either Anelka didn't wan't to come here, or Allardyce didn't want him.

I don't really care about Owen's contract, that's the grain of your whole argument, if A then B and C so we should do D etc etc etc, it's frankly pointless and get's you nowhere. How about we just concentrate on getting him playing and maybe convince him wants to stay, rather than having this stupid sideshow. For the last time, we absolutely do not need the money, Allardyce has said it, Mort has said it, it's something I thought was pretty obvious.

As for Wenger, that is the same as Fergie, getting rid of players deemed surplus knowing he has a ready supply of equal or better players, that is called squad development not cashing in for financial reasons. And the players you mentioned had put in many seasons for the team and Wenger knew their worth and decided he could improve, something that is definitely not the case here. Allardyce hasn't even seen what Owen could do for us, so thoughts of replacing him now don't even compare to what Wenger or Ferguson do.

He didn't sign Anelka because at the time we had 7 strikers on our books including Luque. As the big man said he wanted to strengthen other areas with a higher priority, the defence. We didn't spend more than 6 mill on any one player, and the amount of dead-wood that was flogged out meant that Sam strengthened the entire squad considerably having spent no more than buying one Anelka. Clearly the summer was Sam laying down the foundations, any proper spending we do in jan or next summer will be after Sam has properly got to know his squad and sees that we desperately need more creativity, or more pace on the wings, or another Striker he if decides to let one of them go. I also think that if a big european club came in for Owen for that 11 mill and Owen decided to move on, back to Liverpool or to Manure, then we would have seen that 11 mill pumped straight into an Anelka for example. Would have been quite fun to see that have gone towards someone like that Beast Zigic who ended up with Valencia haha.

If Owen leaves for whatever reason, then someone like Anelka would be able to be bought pretty easily if Sam wanted him. Especially if Bolton don't make europe again and we do. He would more than likely have a clause in his contracted letting him go to a club with european football or if Bolton were out of the top 10 or some shit like that.

Edited by bassplayerjj

Anelka signed a contract at the end of August, after Sam had been here for months buying players like they were going out of fashion. It's pretty clear either Anelka didn't wan't to come here, or Allardyce didn't want him.

I don't really care about Owen's contract, that's the grain of your whole argument, if A then B and C so we should do D etc etc etc, it's frankly pointless and get's you nowhere. How about we just concentrate on getting him playing and maybe convince him wants to stay, rather than having this stupid sideshow. For the last time, we absolutely do not need the money, Allardyce has said it, Mort has said it, it's something I thought was pretty obvious.

As for Wenger, that is the same as Fergie, getting rid of players deemed surplus knowing he has a ready supply of equal or better players, that is called squad development not cashing in for financial reasons. And the players you mentioned had put in many seasons for the team and Wenger knew their worth and decided he could improve, something that is definitely not the case here. Allardyce hasn't even seen what Owen could do for us, so thoughts of replacing him now don't even compare to what Wenger or Ferguson do.

So we could afford to let Owen's contract run down because we don't need the money?

Is this the same club that spent less net than Man City, Fulham, Sunderland, Everton, Spurs, Liverpool, Man Utd, Aston Villa and Boro? The same club that's been losing on average over £1 million a month?

No club could afford to lose a player like that for next to nothing and if Mort lets it happen then he's an idiot.

He didn't sign Anelka because at the time we had 7 strikers on our books including Luque. As the big man said he wanted to strengthen other areas with a higher priority, the defence. We didn't spend more than 6 mill on any one player, and the amount of dead-wood that was flogged out meant that Sam strengthened the entire squad considerably having spent no more than buying one Anelka. Clearly the summer was Sam laying down the foundations, any proper spending we do in jan or next summer will be after Sam has properly got to know his squad and sees that we desperately need more creativity, or more pace on the wings, or another Striker he if decides to let one of them go. I also think that if a big european club came in for Owen for that 11 mill and Owen decided to move on, back to Liverpool or to Manure, then we would have seen that 11 mill pumped straight into an Anelka for example. Would have been quite fun to see that have gone towards someone like that Beast Zigic who ended up with Valencia haha.

If Owen leaves for whatever reason, then someone like Anelka would be able to be bought pretty easily if Sam wanted him. Especially if Bolton don't make europe again and we do. He would more than likely have a clause in his contracted letting him go to a club with european football or if Bolton were out of the top 10 or some shit like that.

Is the correct answer.

So we could afford to let Owen's contract run down because we don't need the money?

Is this the same club that spent less net than Man City, Fulham, Sunderland, Everton, Spurs, Liverpool, Man Utd, Aston Villa and Boro? The same club that's been losing on average over £1 million a month?

No club could afford to lose a player like that for next to nothing and if Mort lets it happen then he's an idiot.

You know what, fuck it, you clearly won't see what's in front of you. Come back in 12 months and lets have the same conversation.

If he'd wanted Anelka he would have got him, nothing more to it than that for fucks sake.

All the rest is the usual 'if Owen leaves' crap, which as I've said, he bloody will if arseholes keepgoing on like this. No big club has come in, and no club will, you're fucking worse than the Sun.

If he'd wanted Anelka he would have got him, nothing more to it than that for fucks sake.

All the rest is the usual 'if Owen leaves' crap, which as I've said, he bloody will if arseholes keepgoing on like this. No big club has come in, and no club will, you're fucking worse than the Sun.

Baggio is right, you're fucking hard work mate =)

Baggio is right, you're fucking hard work mate =)

Wasn't worth reading past, "we didn't go for Anelka because we had Luque".

We won't sign Anelka because we have Ameobi, Chopra and Luque?

Balls

You could even argue he's better than Martins, and Viduka was signed when we could have had Anelka instead.

Balls

You could even argue he's better than Martins, and Viduka was signed when we could have had Anelka instead.

Owen, Martins, Viduka, Ameobi, Smith, Luque, Carroll. Chopra was sold last summer right when we only had martins, ameobi and Luque with Sib and Dyer also potential forwards.

With a defence consisting of practically just Steven Taylor and people being sold left right and centre, you can see why Big Sam didn't want to sign Anelka or anyone else like him (expensive pacy goalscorer) in the summer, unless Martins or Owen were sold. Vid was a freebie remember, and a completely different option to Anelka up-front. There was no either/or there with Vid or anyone else, it takes a sensible person to think, ''hmmmm we need a striker, Viduka is available on a free, scored a great deal of goals last year, and has played in the premiership for a while. This, or we could try and sign Anelka for 12 million when we don't have a back four.'' (I seem to remember Souness and Roeder both doing similar things at the end of their summer spending =/)

We arguably need a more creative midfielder and more pace on the wing before we need another forward. Big Sam may have wanted Anelka, really wanted him. But did he really need him when we already had Owen and Oba at the club?

Repeating myself once again, IF Owen had wanted to leave for whatever reason, to be with his smelly fucking horses or whatever it may have been, we would have seen Anelka or someone like him here. Luckily Owen seems to be banging them in this season after a career-threatening injury and decided he wants to stay. If however we're offered 12-15 mill for him in jan or the summer, and he says he's sick of being a newcastle player then what?

Edited by bassplayerjj

The Independent

Manchester City target £6m Michael Owen deal

By Rob Stewart

Last Updated: 12:13am BST 15/10/2007

Michael Owen's future looked more uncertain than ever yesterday after it was claimed that the England striker could leave Newcastle United next summer for a knock-down £6 million thanks to a get-out clause in his St James' Park contract.

# Manchester City homepage | Newcastle United homepage

# Fans' forum

The Manchester City manager, Sven-Goran Eriksson, is reported to be ready to take advantage of the escape clause that Owen stipulated when he signed for Newcastle from Real Madrid in August 2005 in a £17 million transfer deal that brought him a four-year contract and an estimated wage of £120,000 per week.

advertisement

There have been suggestions that Eriksson is prepared to wait until next summer, when the get-out clause is reactivated, though £10 million would apparently be enough to secure his services in the January transfer window rather than the £15 million City owner Thaksin Shinawatra was said to have been asked to pay.

Thanks to his get-out clause, Owen, who will be 28 in December, was available for £9 million during the last transfer window but his bad luck with injuries seemingly deterred would-be suitors, despite rumoured interest from Manchester United.

The get-out clause will become effective again on July 1 next year, at which time he will have roughly a year left on his current deal at Newcastle, where manager Sam Allardyce has publicly denied suggestions of a rift with Owen.

A source close to the club said: "The get-out clause that Michael Owen demanded when he signed for Newcastle will become active again next summer. Each year his value on the books is reduced and by next summer it will be in the region of £5 million to £6 million.

"That means that Manchester City or any other club can come in and trigger his release by matching that figure. Newcastle are powerless to stop him moving on.

"Manchester City wouldn't be his ideal choice, but none of the big four was interested in him this year.

"Newcastle would probably be wise to sell him in January if they could because they would obviously land a bigger fee. In any case, they dare not let him get into the final year of his deal without signing a new one because he could then leave for nothing on June 30, 2009."

David Beckham will launch his challenge for a place in England's Euro 2008 showdown with Croatia next month when he makes his LA Galaxy comeback on Thursday.

"I'm hoping to have some involvement in the games over the next week or so," said Beckham, who has had knee and ankle problems.

Balls

they still play Newcastle like :unsure: