Sven wants Owen at Man City

Scottish Mag

Guest Patrokles
Not being pro or against Owen but at 15m it would almost be sensible to sell but only if the club has someone like Anelka lined up. Premiership proven and with a future.

There is no doubt Owen's injuries have taken their toll on his overall game and you have to wonder in another year or two whether he will be as prolific a goal scorer.

That's basically speculation, nothing more. He's had an injury that Ruud Van Nistelrooy got before he joined Man Utd. He's had an injury that Wayne Rooney and Ronaldo have come out of. I really don't get the 'overall game' comment, he's never had one as far as I can see.

Money is irrevelevant, I'd be amazed if Owen was sold for pure money reasons. And as for getting Anelka, he signed a contract with Bolton at the start of the season, so it's quite clear Allardyce didn't want him.

The only reason Owen might leave is if Allardyce actually really doesn't like him, which unless they are both total liars, is just rubbish.

When did Rooney do his cruciate.... ;)

metatarsel

Aye, because that's the injury you were on about.

Yes it was. Hence the full stop.

OK, sorry. But how is that injury relevent to what you're on about? I.e. effecting his game? It would be pertinent if another player had had two injuries like Owen but the metatarsal alone isn't really going to make any difference so I don't get the Rooney comparison.

Well I'm not sure what you're on about either, but I don't think having those two injuries would affect his game, certainly not physically anyway. The point is all that was basically speculation as to possible effects, you'd be mad to sell him for those reasons.

And to my mind, Sam would definitely have had him AND Owen, unless he thought he would make too much noise from the bench. No way would Sam think Shola is better than Anelka, and possibly not even Martins on the experience front.

You didn't understand my question? OK.

Maybe because you used the wrong form of effect/affect, mr. pedant!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being pro or against Owen but at 15m it would almost be sensible to sell but only if the club has someone like Anelka lined up. Premiership proven and with a future.

There is no doubt Owen's injuries have taken their toll on his overall game and you have to wonder in another year or two whether he will be as prolific a goal scorer.

That's basically speculation, nothing more. He's had an injury that Ruud Van Nistelrooy got before he joined Man Utd. He's had an injury that Wayne Rooney and Ronaldo have come out of. I really don't get the 'overall game' comment, he's never had one as far as I can see.

Money is irrevelevant, I'd be amazed if Owen was sold for pure money reasons. And as for getting Anelka, he signed a contract with Bolton at the start of the season, so it's quite clear Allardyce didn't want him.

The only reason Owen might leave is if Allardyce actually really doesn't like him, which unless they are both total liars, is just rubbish.

metatarsel

OK, sorry. But how is that injury relevent to what you're on about? I.e. effecting his game? It would be pertinent if another player had had two injuries like Owen but the metatarsal alone isn't really going to make any difference so I don't get the Rooney comparison.

Well I'm not sure what you're on about either, but I don't think having those two injuries would affect his game, certainly not physically anyway. The point is all that was basically speculation as to possible effects, you'd be mad to sell him for those reasons.

And to my mind, Sam would definitely have had him AND Owen, unless he thought he would make too much noise from the bench. No way would Sam think Shola is better than Anelka, and possibly not even Martins on the experience front.

You didn't understand my question? OK.

The only thing I could gather was that you thought those in combination affected his game, as I had only given examples of one injury per player.

Edited by RlCO

How's the Rooney injury relevent? Is that better? ;)

I don't see how it is. You'd expect someone to come back from it with no ill effects. You'd think a cruciate knee injury would have a good chance of seriously effecting someones game though.

Guest Patrokles

I don't see how it is. You'd expect someone to come back from it with no ill effects. You'd think a cruciate knee injury would have a good chance of seriously effecting someones game though.

YOU DID THAT ON PURPOSE.

Hence the RVN example. People keep saying he's injury prone, but when you break :icon_lol: it down it's a crock :rolleyes: of shit.

Hence the RVN example. People keep saying he's injury prone, but when you break :icon_lol: it down it's a crock :rolleyes: of shit.

I thought I phrased it simply enough that time too.

But you said you were on about broken foots not cruciates....

But you said you were on about broken foots not cruciates....

I was on about both.

Incidentally RICO, are you saying he isn't injury-prone?

Not in the sense that he has a predisposition for injury. There's a subtle difference between prone to injury and historical bad luck.

He's had two freak injuries, nothing in my opinion that suggests he won't return to form. And let's face it, at 90% he is still better than anyone we've had here for years.

Not in the sense that he has a predisposition for injury. There's a subtle difference between prone to injury and historical bad luck.

He's had two freak injuries, nothing in my opinion that suggests he won't return to form. And let's face it, at 90% he is still better than anyone we've had here for years.

I can't agree with that. Putting aside the last two, which are a case of very bad luck imo, he's been pretty injury-prone throughout his career.

He only managed 10 games up until he injured his foot at Spurs which was on the last day of December tbh.

He's always missing games with strains and niggling injuries.

Money is irrevelevant, I'd be amazed if Owen was sold for pure money reasons.

The only reason Owen might leave is if Allardyce actually really doesn't like him...

#1. I agree with completely. Would I have 15mil for Owen? Like many others, I would. (Or, yes, Martins, I don't love him that much...) Are we so desperate for the money that we'd need to sell him? I don't think so.

#2. This is the only reason he might be sold... not sure if it's the only reason he might leave.

The only reason Owen might leave is if Allardyce actually really doesn't like him...

#1. I agree with completely. Would I have 15mil for Owen? Like many others, I would. (Or, yes, Martins, I don't love him that much...) Are we so desperate for the money that we'd need to sell him? I don't think so.

#2. This is the only reason he might be sold... not sure if it's the only reason he might leave.

Go Team!

Of course money is relevant and it's naive to think it isn't, whether we're owned by a billionaire or not it doesn't take away from the fact the club is being ran as a business, no other business would turn down £15 million for a player who could possibly leave in the summer for alot less if we don't qualify for Europe due to a buy out clause, or even for free in 18 months time.

Woodgate is proof that the club will cash in on a player if they feel financially it's the best time to sell, we may have Mort here now but I'd be surprised if he didn't do the same.

Of course money is relevant and it's naive to think it isn't, whether we're owned by a billionaire or not it doesn't take away from the fact the club is being ran as a business, no other business would turn down £15 million for a player who could possibly leave in the summer for alot less if we don't qualify for Europe due to a buy out clause, or even for free in 18 months time.

Woodgate is proof that the club will cash in on a player if they feel financially it's the best time to sell, we may have Mort here now but I'd be surprised if he didn't do the same.

We've been down this road before, you seem obsessed with money. On absolutely no account would Owen be sold for financial reasons, everything I've read from Mort and everything he's done so far confirms that to me. If he was sold for money reasons alone it would be a disgrace, and show an alarming precedent from the new regime.

We've been down this road before, you seem obsessed with money. On absolutely no account would Owen be sold for financial reasons, everything I've read from Mort and everything he's done so far confirms that to me. If he was sold for money reasons alone it would be a disgrace, and show an alarming precedent from the new regime.

I'm not obsessed with money, it's called being realistic which is what happens when a club is being ran as a business.

Realistically we would never get a chance to get £15 million for Owen again, if we don't qualify for Europe what would his buy out clause drop to?

The club should offer him a new contract and if he refuses to sign it then cash in on him in January.

I'm not obsessed with money, it's called being realistic which is what happens when a club is being ran as a business.

Realistically we would never get a chance to get £15 million for Owen again, if we don't qualify for Europe what would his buy out clause drop to?

The club should offer him a new contract and if he refuses to sign it then cash in on him in January.

Ashley has just pumped in nearly £200m for the cause of making this a succesfull club. Do you seriously think he's going to sell the best footballer on the books just to claw back £15m?

metatarsel

Ok, seeing it was my post originally, let's get the facts straight. I was referring to the acl rupture not his broken foot and as someone who has had the acl reconstruction let me tell you it is never the same. Rico your example of van nistelhorse is a bad argument because his game was never about blinding pace. That and his move to Spain which is a not as physical league has helped him. Taggart knew that and that's part of why he moved him on when he did. He got the best years out of him and then cut his losses. Owen has the intelligence but pyhsically he won't age into a Shearer or Hasselbank or a Viduka.

I made no reference to reoccuring injuries just the major one he suffered and has recovered from but that will effect him at some point down the track.

metatarsel

Ok, seeing it was my post originally, let's get the facts straight. I was referring to the acl rupture not his broken foot and as someone who has had the acl reconstruction let me tell you it is never the same. Rico your example of van nistelhorse is a bad argument because his game was never about blinding pace. That and his move to Spain which is a not as physical league has helped him. Taggart knew that and that's part of why he moved him on when he did. He got the best years out of him and then cut his losses. Owen has the intelligence but pyhsically he won't age into a Shearer or Hasselbank or a Viduka.

I made no reference to reoccuring injuries just the major one he suffered and has recovered from but that will effect him at some point down the track.

If RVN was peddled for fitness reasons that's news to me. And like I said, a 90% Owen is far better than we've had for years, I can't believe people are shocked that he can't run as fast as when he was 19. To reduce his game simply to 'he can run fast' you might as well sell him as Martins can do him in the hundred metres.

Ashley has just pumped in nearly £200m for the cause of making this a succesfull club. Do you seriously think he's going to sell the best footballer on the books just to claw back £15m?

But the £200 million he's spent is still there, by wiping the debt off it will only add to the value of the club.

Do you think he won't cash in on Owen and risk losing him in 6 months for half of that if we don't qualify for Europe? He's not Abramovich who seems happy to throw money at a club with little chance of getting it back, he's a business man and there is no way he's going to risk losing that sort of money.

But the £200 million he's spent is still there, by wiping the debt off it will only add to the value of the club.

Do you think he won't cash in on Owen and risk losing him in 6 months for half of that if we don't qualify for Europe? He's not Abramovich who seems happy to throw money at a club with little chance of getting it back, he's a business man and there is no way he's going to risk losing that sort of money.

Do you think that attitude is the mark of running a succesful club, abramovic style or not?

I can only think of Man U that actively sold good players, but the difference to us is they did it from a position of having a steady supply of better players coming in and revenues to buy them. Ferguson is on record as having admitted selling some of those players was a mistake.