Taylor not about to jump ship

Scottish Mag

STEVEN Taylor is adamant that his commitment to Newcastle remains intact after insisting that he is unconcerned about his contractual situation at St James’s Park.

The 21-year-old’s representatives last month rejected an improved five-year deal, but although the furore that followed the Taylor camp’s decision to air their grievances in public ensured the defender’s future at the club was called into question, United’s talented stopper has no plans to leave.

A player who has lost his place in Sam Allardyce’s team in recent weeks last night admitted that winning back his central defensive role is more important than improving his personal terms. As he prepares to concentrate on challenging Abdoulaye Faye, Claudio Caçapa and David Rozehnal for first-team football, it seems contract negotiations are not on his personal agenda.

“I want to be playing for Newcastle, that’s the main concern,” said the England Under-21 international, who was an unused substitute during Sunday’s dramatic 3-2 win over Everton at St James’s Park. “If people want to sort out the contract, that will get sorted out. The main thing for me is to be playing for Newcastle – there’s no doubt about that.”

Charles N’Zogbia and James Milner have both signed improved contracts in recent weeks, but Newcastle’s initial offer to Taylor was turned down. Allardyce last month admitted the situation was a concern and claimed Taylor’s representatives were asking too much given the player’s age and experience. That the episode has been played out in public didn’t impress the United boss or aid Taylor’s cause. The situation also led some supporters to question the defender’s commitment to the club – a subject he has been keen to address.

“I’m committed to the club 100%,” he said last night. “This is the club I want to be playing for.”

Taylor’s current contract runs until 2009, but given the player’s growing reputation, St James’s Park officials will hope agreement can be reached soon. Having starred in this summer’s European Under-21 Championships, Taylor was appointed Stuart Pearce’s captain and was called into Steve McClaren’s senior squad.

Although not assured a regular place in Allardyce’s starting XI, the former Wycombe Wanderers loanee is not without Premier League admirers. Taylor will hope to further his reputation when he leads Pearce’s side into tonight’s European Championship qualifier against Montenegro at Leicester’s Walkers Stadium.

It is a game in which Milner will add to his record Under-21 cap collection. Middlesbrough’s David Wheater and Andrew Taylor are also in the squad.

England’s Under-19s will also be in action this evening. Newcastle’s Andy Carroll – on loan at Preston – Sunderland’s Jamie Chandler and Middlesbrough’s David Steele are in Brian Eastick’s squad for the game against Iceland at Doncaster.

Meanwhile, Newcastle could be about to make a fresh raid on Le Havre after sources in France revealed 18-year-old striker Wesley Ngo Baheng has emerged as a United target. N’Zogbia’s move from the French club to the North-East prompted a protracted argument over compensation and led to a long-running court case only resolved this summer.

That seems not to deter United from targeting another Le Havre footballer, with talks understood to have taken place with a view to a deal in the January window.

Steven Taylor has voiced his 100 per cent commitment to Newcastle United.

In September the promising defender rejected a contract offer to extend his stay on Tyneside.

The 21-year-old has established himself as a defensive lynchpin at St James' Park but the offer he received from the club has not sat well with his father, and advisor, Alf.

Taylor's contractual situation has been up in the air for several months and the player's camp are hoping for an improved offer reflecting the defender's development into a genuine first team member.

But the young centre-back has quashed claims that he is seeking a move away from the club, and has declared that he sees his future on Tyneside.

"I want to play for Newcastle. That is my main concern," Taylor said.

"I'll play, if people want to sort out the contract then that'll get sorted out. My main thing is that I want to play for Newcastle, there's no doubt about that.

"I'm committed to the club 100 per cent, that's the club I want to play for."

From SSN

Steven Taylor has voiced his 100 per cent commitment to Newcastle United.

In September the promising defender rejected a contract offer to extend his stay on Tyneside.

The 21-year-old has established himself as a defensive lynchpin at St James' Park but the offer he received from the club has not sat well with his father, and advisor, Alf.

Taylor's contractual situation has been up in the air for several months and the player's camp are hoping for an improved offer reflecting the defender's development into a genuine first team member.

But the young centre-back has quashed claims that he is seeking a move away from the club, and has declared that he sees his future on Tyneside.

"I want to play for Newcastle. That is my main concern," Taylor said.

"I'll play, if people want to sort out the contract then that'll get sorted out. My main thing is that I want to play for Newcastle, there's no doubt about that.

"I'm committed to the club 100 per cent, that's the club I want to play for."

From SSN

Says everything really. He is putting the ball firmly in NUFC's court regarding whether he stays or goes. The other bullshit about playing for NUFC is just patter in light of the recent Owen shite.

Sell him IMO.

I reckon we could get £10 million for him from some mug just because he's young and English, yet we've already brought in 3 better centre backs for a combined fee of half that.

Sell him IMO.

I reckon we could get £10 million for him from some mug just because he's young and English, yet we've already brought in 3 better centre backs for a combined fee of half that.

Just seen this after replying in the other thread. £10m would be bloody ridiculous, theatre fees or not