Extra pay

Walliver

I was away on holiday at the end of last month so I've only just been given my pay slip. This is my third payment in this job but for no apparent reason I've been given an extra £200. Is there a logical explanation for this? Should I tell anyone?

Edited by Walliver

I would think it would be a good idea, as if its a mistake they can ask for it back and I'm not sure how much notice they give you.

This could explain why you are happy at work. ;)

Lob it in a high interest account then wait until they notice.

Then pay them back the £200 and keep the interest. ;)

Or if you're honest, tell them, they're entitled to it back if it's a mistaken overpayment.

Then pay them back the £200 and keep the interest. :icon_lol:

Or if you're honest, tell them, they're entitled to it back if it's a mistaken overpayment.

Aye, he might make a fiver ;)

I'd tell them. The last thing you want is to look dishonest in your new job.

Then pay them back the £200 and keep the interest. :rolleyes:

Aye, he might make a fiver ;)

I'd tell them. The last thing you want is to look dishonest in your new job.

Better than nowt. :icon_lol:

Nah I've done legal action on this sort of thing with work (for the employer) and seriously.. tell them.

I'd say it's more than likely you are owed it than the payroll has made a mistake. On that basis I'd just make an off hand comment about it so you can at least say you queried it.

The fact you queried it to the cleaner should not come into it ;)

I've spoken to someone I work with and they reckon it might be because I was being taxed too much before so it's a bit of that back. She's had similar done to her. Is this true/likely?

Yeah I guess you might have been on an emergency tax code for that first month or so untill you either handed in your p45 or filled in a p46.

Before I was on salary, back in the day when I could do overtime, I would get more money than the standard rate if I took a holiday, I would be put on holiday rate that had factor based on my recent overtime, it was the maddest thing ever, you could earn more money being on holiday than actually being at work, I still don't understand it to this day.