CPU Cooler

Besty

I've got an AMD Athlon 64 3800+ CPU and it's loud as fuck and pissing me off.

Can you buy quiet coolers for CPU's, what's the best option, helpppp

Edited by Besty

How do you know its the cpu fan making the noise?

Could it be the power supply?

Water cooled ones are practically silent but can be expensive, is your fan new ? if not check to see that it isn't clogged with dust on the blades, this can make the fan unbalanced and cause noise, invest in an air duster spray to keep your fan clean and blow out the fins of the heat-sink.

Bought a new 'silent' power supply about a month ago and it's definately not that. Only had me computer about 9 month or something so I doubt it's because of dust or owt, it's always been noisy.

EDIT: Reckon this one would be good: http://www.computerorbit.co.uk/Itemdesc.ht...amp;eq=&Tp=

Edited by Besty

Bought a new 'silent' power supply about a month ago and it's definately not that. Only had me computer about 9 month or something so I doubt it's because of dust or owt, it's always been noisy.

EDIT: Reckon this one would be good: http://www.computerorbit.co.uk/Itemdesc.ht...amp;eq=&Tp=

ok.

£25 is a fair bit of money to spend on a cpu cooler - if your gonna spend that sort of money id go with eith the artic freezer or zalman.

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Components/cat/Cooling-Fans

Watercooling is definitely the way to go for peace and quiet.

It tends to be relatively expensive though and can be a bit complex, but there's new all in one kits out now that aren't much more complex to fit than a normal air-cooled heatsink.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Bought a silent one in the end but my computers still so noisy, reckon it's the PSU then?

Just stick your head in the case when it's running and see what's making the noise.

If it is get a high quality PSU - more efficient and therefore run cooler and quieter for fan speed, also get one with the big 5-6" fans.

Best way for quiet though is watercool your CPU, graphics card/s and maybe motherboard heat sink, get quiet running HDs and CD/DvD drives and a good quality PSU. I have a couple of gaming PCs that run virtually silently like that, if it's just a business/media PC then with decent air cooling/flow you should be able to get nearly the same effect.

What PSU are you running

Also it could be the heatsink on your GFX card? Sounds like the PSU IMO. I bought a "silent" one and it was like a fucking jumbo taking off!

Definitely the PCU mate, checked it out before and it's the only thing making a noise really, so much for it being silent. :woosh:

Just checked and it's not the PSU like, definitely the CPU.

Could try something like this, should be fairly straightforward compared to bigger/custom jobs:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=WC-028-SW

Cheers mate, might give it a go. :lol:

Cheers mate, you've explained it a bit better now, great help. (I built the computer btw but I still wouldn't feel confident with the water cooling) ;)

np's, Scythe make some really nice high performance/low noise fans, so that cooler should be grand if its using one of those fans on it.

watercooling is good, just expensive

if you get custom bits and put it together yourself it can be a bit cheaper and the performance will be better.

But kit wise they all tend to be mediocre performance (as far as watercooling goes)

and more expensive due to it being a bit easier to install

the Koolance stuff isn't bad but your talking upwards of £200 for one of their kits, because its not to bad to install and performs well..

Ive got the scythe ninja meself - you can leave the fan off and just use the heatsink passively. no fan = no noise.

Looking at that photo - your power supply fan is THICK with dust - are you sure its only a month old?

if so - see if you can remove the heatsink and fan from the cpu and give them both a good clean as there probably worse. Dont forget the thermal paste when you reseat the heatsink.

Cheers mate, you've explained it a bit better now, great help. (I built the computer btw but I still wouldn't feel confident with the water cooling) ;)

np's, Scythe make some really nice high performance/low noise fans, so that cooler should be grand if its using one of those fans on it.

watercooling is good, just expensive

if you get custom bits and put it together yourself it can be a bit cheaper and the performance will be better.

But kit wise they all tend to be mediocre performance (as far as watercooling goes)

and more expensive due to it being a bit easier to install

the Koolance stuff isn't bad but your talking upwards of £200 for one of their kits, because its not to bad to install and performs well..

Ive got the scythe ninja meself - you can leave the fan off and just use the heatsink passively. no fan = no noise.

Looking at that photo - your power supply fan is THICK with dust - are you sure its only a month old?

if so - see if you can remove the heatsink and fan from the cpu and give them both a good clean as there probably worse. Dont forget the thermal paste when you reseat the heatsink.

That's another advantage with water cooling, if you build it correctly you can move most dust collecting items externally (and easy to clean), then you can soundproof your case properly and reduce case air flow (and therefore internal dust issues).