Terrcy Mac on Souness

wykikitoon

A Mate of mine emailed me this, I thought it was a good read.

Face to face: Terry McDermott Sep 13 2005

By John Gibson, The Evening Chronicle

Terry McDermott tells of the moment when Magpies boss realised the enormous passion Geordies have for their team.

Terry McDermott remembers well the moment hard man Graeme Souness almost broke down in tears at the realisation of exactly how deep the passion runs in black and white veins.

It struck home like a thunderbolt and has remained the driving force behind a manager striving against mighty odds - and public opinion - to bring a trophy to St James' Park after a lifetime of waiting for devoted Geordies.

"I remember it clearly and I know it was the moment when Graeme witnessed for himself the raw passion, desire and intensity of literally thousands upon thousands of Geordies," McDermott told me.

"He knew this was a fanatical soccer area as everyone does but what he actually experienced was something totally different. It bit deeply into a hard, tough guy and almost reduced him to tears.

"He's carried it with him every day since and it spurs him on to keep chasing success until he gets it."

McDermott has come back more often than a homing pigeon - twice he signed for Newcastle as a player and three times he's been assistant to different managers. So, by now, after more than 30 years living amongst us, he knows the obsession that beats in every Geordie breast, the love and the craving for success.

"However, until you've experienced it like I have you can never fully understand," said Terry. "For the gaffer that awakening came on FA Cup semi-final day last April.

"Remember three days earlier we'd been beaten 4-1 by Sporting Lisbon in the quarter-finals of the UEFA Cup and we were all destroyed by the result. It had ripped out our hearts.

"I honestly believe that if we'd been able to keep Titus Bramble, Kieron Dyer and Jermaine Jenas on the pitch in Lisbon we would have scored again and won. It was an absolute killer.

"We flew into Cardiff with all these thoughts swirling in our minds. Come match day, the coach was nosing its way to the Millennium Stadium. The streets were virtually empty but the word must have got out that the Newcastle coach was on its way because suddenly the roads filled up with hundreds and thousands of Geordies.

"The whole place was a sea of black and white. It was frightening - we'd just been knocked out of one competition and were having to face Manchester United of all teams in another yet the loyalty and passion was overflowing. We hadn't been deserted.

"When we got into the ground Graeme asked the driver to switch off the engine and he turned to the players. `If you can't perform for those people you shouldn't b****y well be at this club', he said and, turning to me,

added: `I'm going to have to go now'.

"Here was a tough guy who sorted everyone out on the football field - and I mean everyone - but he was almost crying. I've never seen him so emotional. He's kept that vision with him ever since. It proved to him what he already thought - and a lot more.

"It was the same when he flew in from Malaga to attend the Michael Owen unveiling at St James' Park and 20,000 turned up simply to cheer. Moments like that and at Cardiff are what football up here is all about.

"I'd seen it and felt it, coming back with United in '74 after losing the Cup final when we hadn't had a kick, but the ground was full of cheering folk. And when we went round the city on an open-topped coach after winning promotion with Kevin Keegan. But for Graeme Souness it was a totally new experience."

If Souness still has much to do to convince the Toon Army that he is a man equipped to deliver silverware then McDermott harbours no such negative thoughts. Given a fair wind he believes the bookies' favourite to receive his P45 will change countless minds.

"He's taken some dreadful stick but he hasn't moaned, not for a second," said McDermott. "If it hurts - and it must sometimes - he has never shown it. He has merely stuck to his job and got on with it.

"Graeme was brought in a year ago to clean up the dressing-room and get the club on an even keel again. That isn't a vote winner. It's hard. Tough decisions had to be made.

"For example, Craig Bellamy was a good player who was liked by the fans but he had to go because no-one is bigger than the club. The boss was brave, it wasn't a popular decision, but if Michael Owen is a straight swap for Bellamy then the club have come out of it all the better.

"I believe that now, after the late flurry of signings, we have a squad of players that's as good if not better than the one when we finished second top of the Premiership under KK. And that was some side.

"The secret is keeping everyone fit. Or as many as possible - I know you can't expect everyone to be available but we need that little bit of luck. We've been down to the bare bones on so many occasions this season and last, having to play kids who ought to have been nowhere near the first team as yet.

"It's ridiculous. Even on Saturday against Fulham we had five players not available (Solano, Dyer, Emre, Ameobi and Moore) and then had Luque stretchered off before half-time and out of action for six weeks. What sort of luck is that? KK used to say that this club was jinxed and there are times when I think he's right.

"However, we have now got quality across a wide range. The likes of Michael Owen, Scott Parker, Emre, Nobby Solano and Albert Luque are not just top-drawer players but real diamond blokes who, along with Alan Shearer and the like, make for a good dressing-room. We can at last see some light."

While we're talking on the patio at the back of United's training complex, McDermott nods towards the window where a Newcastle player can be seen working relentlessly on a treadmill.

"See him, Emre? He's genuine quality. He has such a sweet left foot he reminds me of Terry Hibbitt."

Returning to his theme, Terry Mac went on: "The chairman has also taken flak, which I can't understand. He has always backed his managers by giving them money. And I feel that he has just shown beyond doubt that he believes in Graeme because almost £30m has been spent on Owen, Luque and Solano. He wouldn't have allowed that much cash to be splashed if he didn't have faith in his manager. It wouldn't make sense.

"Maybe Souness wasn't his first choice when he was looking around for a replacement for Bobby Robson but that doesn't matter now. Graeme has the job and the opportunity to do things.

"Owen has been a breath of fresh air. We now have in him and Shearer the best two strikers the Premiership has seen since it began in the '90s."

McDermott believes that in his time as an assistant, United have gone agonisingly close to capturing their first trophy since 1969 - promotion and runners-up in the Premier League under Keegan, second again and a Cup final appearance with Kenny Dalglish.

However, when I point out that he himself needed a bullet-proof removal van to transport his medals from Anfield to his Liverpool home, McDermott shakes his head in acceptance of stark reality. The man sitting before me won three European Cups, four championships, and two League Cups as well as the 1980 Footballer of the Year trophy.

"Yeah, sure, but it's all relative," he maintained. "Here at Newcastle it's first things first. We ought to have won the title when Kevin was boss and we finished second to Manchester United. We were the Entertainers, everyone loved Newcastle United.

"But when we blew up at the end, losing games at Liverpool and Blackburn when we had them won, I think it affected KK hugely. It destroyed him. I think he has felt it to this day.

"Now we're still searching but if Graeme gets the opportunity I honestly believe he can win something here. He's desperate to because he knows after Cardiff what would happen. The city would go crazy."

Only sticking up for his mate like everyone else would do.

Canny read. I do feel a bit for Souness you know, I genuinly think he's a decent bloke who has the best interests of NUFC at heart. Sadly he's just a poor manager tactically and that lets him down. Nothing he can really do it, its a fact of life. Theres not a chance that he isn't giving his all to the club, but a combination of bad luck and poor management lets us down.

Canny read. I do feel a bit for Souness you know, I genuinly think he's a decent bloke who has the best interests of NUFC at heart. Sadly he's just a poor manager tactically and that lets him down. Nothing he can really do it, its a fact of life. Theres not a chance that he isn't giving his all to the club, but a combination of bad luck and poor management lets us down.

32559[/snapback]

I must admit I felt the same way but then I think that may be us getting sentimental and falling for the propaganda hook, line and sinker.

Everyone in the world is likeable for their own reasons but this man is a bully, an emotional cripple with low self confidence. If Terry Mac chooses to believe the hard man facade of a weak and pathetic character then he's doing his job well.

32559[/snapback]

I must admit I felt the same way but then I think that may be us getting sentimental and falling for the propaganda hook, line and sinker.

Everyone in the world is likeable for their own reasons but this man is a bully, an emotional cripple with low self confidence. If Terry Mac chooses to believe the hard man facade of a weak and pathetic character then he's doing his job well.

32563[/snapback]

Perhaps, but his bullying, as you put it, its done for the club. Thats how he sees it anyway. At both here and Blackburn he got rid of the lads with chips on their shoulders or general bad attitudes - he may have gone about this in the wrong way but he's done it to create a better, more harmonious club.

I certainly wouldn't go about things the way he has, but I definetly think he does it for the right reasons.

*Thanks Graeme for the £50 :icon_lol: *

He needs a fight on his hands at all times though for the sake of his ego. When he first comes in that's grand - big fights and he'll take them down one by one (notice the love affair with Robert when he was still battling Bellamy). But once the real battles are fought he'll go after people for no reason, who was the valuable Blackburn captain who was busted to the reserves for the terrible crime of attending the Christmas party of a member of staff Souness didn't like?

He's not brave by the way, he stands behind his posse, the media and lies to take out one player at a time. He may have a use in certain scenarios but I wouldn't confuse that with him doing things for the right reasons. The man's got issues and is probably a deeply unpleasant character to be on the wrong side of.

32559[/snapback]

32563[/snapback]

Perhaps, but his bullying, as you put it, its done for the club. Thats how he sees it anyway. At both here and Blackburn he got rid of the lads with chips on their shoulders or general bad attitudes - he may have gone about this in the wrong way but he's done it to create a better, more harmonious club.

I certainly wouldn't go about things the way he has, but I definetly think he does it for the right reasons.

*Thanks Graeme for the £50 :icon_lol: *

32564[/snapback]

I am certain that I care more for the club than Souness. Difference is, I'm not getting millions to ruin it.

Unbelievable that some people could fall for this sentimental bollocks, but clearly they have. Poor Gwaemme, nearly crying after leading us to a humiliating slaughter at Cardiff. Diddums. :angry:

Perhaps, but his bullying, as you put it, its done for the club.

32564[/snapback]

I have a question about this. How do you think management styles come about? Do you think they're handed out, or that a manager is told - for this situation we're going to need you to be a bully - and the manager then puts his bully hat on. Or is it that management style comes from their personality and then they are given jobs/get success accordingly.

Maybe the shy and retiring Roy Keane turned up to sign his first professional contract and saw 'overly aggressive cunt of a defensive midefielder' on his contract and thought - ooh I could never do that - and had to grow into the role?

It wasn't just a turn of phrase by the way, I think Greme Souness epitomises the pathology of a bully.

Like Keegan, Souness seems to be tactically naive. However, the big difference is that Keegan compensated by spotting a good player more often than not and being a superb motivater and installer of belief. We look more clueless than ever under Souness. Terry Mac may be right that he's a canny bloke, but he doesn't seem to be a very good manager of a football team.

Terry Mac may be right that he's a canny bloke

32580[/snapback]

I doubt he is right about this. It amazes me that many people have this perception he's an alright bloke. I have seen nothing to convince me that he isn't a complete cunt, if I'm honest.

32580[/snapback]

I doubt he is right about this. It amazes me that many people have this perception he's an alright bloke. I have seen nothing to convince me that he isn't a complete cunt, if I'm honest.

32585[/snapback]

That's why I said 'he may be right'.

32580[/snapback]

32585[/snapback]

32589[/snapback]

I used to work with a lad who knows souness's brother.

According to him souness doesnt get his brothers kids any presents at christmas and he rarely gets in touch with the family, the father of the family spoiled souness from day one when he realised he had footballing talent and he is nothing more than a self centered spoilt kid.

And thats his own brothers opinion.

Could be sour grapes like but I saw the email that was sent from him.

I feel a bit sorry for the bloke because he genuinely wants to be a success, pity he is shit really and doesnt seem to be prepared to put the work in to learn the game from a management point of view.

we need rid, and he needs to retire from football management or go to a lower league in england.

32580[/snapback]

32585[/snapback]

32589[/snapback]

Aye, I know, it wasn't aimed at you.

I just getting a bit narky because I am so sick of the shit we have to put up with at the moment, it would be better if Souness and his cronies said nothing. Actions speak louder than words, after all. And those actions speak volumes.

Seriously, Souness's record now is unbeleivably shocking. Even his greatest critic coud not have predicted he would do this bad - I certainly didn't. I just want him to go, now, so I can look forward again. :icon_lol:

I sadly agree with the snorting contempt.

I also have to say however that there have been umpteen players at this sodding club who have pulled their dick more than they have pulled their weight. In fact the number of ones who actually have pulled their weight can be counted on the fingers of one hand. Starting with Alan Shearer. He always pulls his weight.

Passion of the fans ? It seems to lead to piss taking of the fans by most of the players. Dyer and Jenas and Bellamy, anyone ?

Let's all make sure that twat Jenas in paticular gets the reception he so thoroughly deserves.....

I also have to say however that there have been umpteen players at this sodding club who have pulled their dick more than they have pulled their weight. In fact the number of ones who actually have pulled their weight can be counted on the fingers of one hand. Starting with Alan Shearer. He always pulls his weight.

Passion of the fans ? It seems to lead to piss taking of the fans by most of the players. Dyer and Jenas and Bellamy, anyone ?

Let's all make sure that twat Jenas in paticular gets the reception he so thoroughly deserves.....

32603[/snapback]

If he gets a game you mean.

32580[/snapback]

32585[/snapback]

32589[/snapback]

Aye, I know, it wasn't aimed at you.

I just getting a bit narky because I am so sick of the shit we have to put up with at the moment, it would be better if Souness and his cronies said nothing. Actions speak louder than words, after all. And those actions speak volumes.

Seriously, Souness's record now is unbeleivably shocking. Even his greatest critic coud not have predicted he would do this bad - I certainly didn't. I just want him to go, now, so I can look forward again. :icon_lol:

32599[/snapback]

I know, the pain of having to watch Amdy Faye play is a long lasting one.

Aye, but will anyone actually realise he's playing...

`If you can't perform for those people you shouldn't b****y well be at this club', he said and, turning to me,

An after this rousing and emotional teamtalk what did we get? An embarrassingly lacklustre, heartless, shameful capitulation. Nice one.

32603[/snapback]

If he gets a game you mean.

32604[/snapback]

If ever there has been a case of someone who deserves to fall through the leagues in double quick time to end up playing for Gasworks XI at £20 p.w. its Jenas. (Unless you also consider a certain tosser who was the originator of Jenas's mentality - a certain Mr Dire. (Yeah, I know its misspelt - but far more accurate, wouldn't you think ?) :icon_lol:

Wonder how much souness bunged Terry Mac for that little master piece?, or did he give him the day off from the bookie run :angry:

Jenas is a cunt who deserves nothing less than to be pelted with coins upon his return to St James so have your copper pots ready for April Fools day, I've already started filing mine into shape :icon_lol:

`If you can't perform for those people you shouldn't b****y well be at this club', he said and, turning to me,

An after this rousing and emotional teamtalk what did we get? An embarrassingly lacklustre, heartless, shameful capitulation. Nice one.

32623[/snapback]

Exactly, despite having a massive vocal backing in the ground we still got twatted. So Terry Mac hasn't really given a very good example has he. :icon_lol:

Terry Mac- what a load of old bollocks, you could never write propaganda like that, it can only have been written by some expensive PR machine to try and quell further disharmony of the fans when we reach the bottom of the pit on Sunday. It might even be Saturday because the Makems just might win at home and that would leave us bottom, God fecking help us.

Why don't you just get off with the rest of the cronies that SOURNESS has brought to this club and hopefully never return. Terry Mac your words are just one big pile of shite.