From October 2007 / Keegan Retires from Management

smoggeordie

Former England boss Kevin Keegan says he is unlikely to manage a team again.

Keegan, 56, stepped down from his last job as Manchester City manager in March 2005 and now runs interactive football attraction Soccer Circus in Glasgow.

"I don't think it will happen," he told BBC One's Inside Sport. "I think my life has gone in a different direction.

"You never know, I mean I do get offers to go back into football, but I made a decision that I would come and do something different with my life."

He added: "I mean I haven't watched a game of football, I mean live, since my last game at Manchester City and I can't even remember what game that was now."

Keegan went into management after a glorious playing career with, among others, Liverpool and Hamburg, which earned him four league titles, a European Cup, two European Footballer of the Year awards and 63 caps.

He became Newcastle boss in 1992 and spent five rollercoaster years there before spells with Fulham, England and Manchester City.

Keegan was linked with a return to Newcastle in the summer as director of football after lifelong Magpies fan Mike Ashley took control of the club.

Manager Sam Allardyce was reportedly unhappy at the prospect but Keegan says he would never go back to St James' Park in that capacity.

"It's absolutely impossible to give Sam Allardyce a job at Newcastle and then go and fetch someone who is going to be some sort of threat, it doesn't work," said Keegan.

"Sam would be a fool to let it happen and the guy who goes in would be a fool to accept it.

"The chairman, who is not a fool, would be a fool to go and do it, too. It doesn't work."

Keegan, who led Newcastle to second place in the Premier League in 1996, also believes the monopoly Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool have had on the top four places is bad for the English game.

He said: "It's very difficult to get into the top four. Why? Because the money they get from being there keeps them away from the others down there.

"So when you are at the smaller clubs or even some of the bigger clubs that aren't in there, it's about how you get in - it's very very difficult, as Newcastle and Man City have found out.

"Everyone says there are the top four and they are one league and then there's another league.

"You have got the people fighting to get in, that's the way I see it, that has been the big change."

after lifelong Magpies fan Mike Ashley took control of the club.

Geordie Nation.

Is that actually true? :unsure:

First time I have heard that anywhere. I Bin livin in Bora Bora or what?

Geordie Nation.

It was reported at the time he took over he was an England fan and had no particular affiliation to any club. First I've heard about this. I'm guessing it's made up.

Geordie Nation.

It was reported at the time he took over he was an England fan and had no particular affiliation to any club. First I've heard about this. I'm guessing it's made up.

Seems the fact he's turned up to matches in a Newcastle shirt makes him a lifelong fan in the eyes of the press.

I'd like to see Keegan get back into management, he's a great personality. Obviously he seems happy enough doing the Football Circus thing, so good on him.

I love the way there's nothing new in the interview, and the only justification in doing it is to deny a press started rumour about Newcastle. Self serving parasites the lot of them.

• 10 months later...
Former England boss Kevin Keegan says he is unlikely to manage a team again.

Keegan, 56, stepped down from his last job as Manchester City manager in March 2005 and now runs interactive football attraction Soccer Circus in Glasgow.

"I don't think it will happen," he told BBC One's Inside Sport. "I think my life has gone in a different direction.

"You never know, I mean I do get offers to go back into football, but I made a decision that I would come and do something different with my life."

He added: "I mean I haven't watched a game of football, I mean live, since my last game at Manchester City and I can't even remember what game that was now."

Keegan went into management after a glorious playing career with, among others, Liverpool and Hamburg, which earned him four league titles, a European Cup, two European Footballer of the Year awards and 63 caps.

He became Newcastle boss in 1992 and spent five rollercoaster years there before spells with Fulham, England and Manchester City.

Keegan was linked with a return to Newcastle in the summer as director of football after lifelong Magpies fan Mike Ashley took control of the club.

Manager Sam Allardyce was reportedly unhappy at the prospect but Keegan says he would never go back to St James' Park in that capacity.

"It's absolutely impossible to give Sam Allardyce a job at Newcastle and then go and fetch someone who is going to be some sort of threat, it doesn't work," said Keegan.

"Sam would be a fool to let it happen and the guy who goes in would be a fool to accept it.

"The chairman, who is not a fool, would be a fool to go and do it, too. It doesn't work."

Keegan, who led Newcastle to second place in the Premier League in 1996, also believes the monopoly Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool have had on the top four places is bad for the English game.

He said: "It's very difficult to get into the top four. Why? Because the money they get from being there keeps them away from the others down there.

"So when you are at the smaller clubs or even some of the bigger clubs that aren't in there, it's about how you get in - it's very very difficult, as Newcastle and Man City have found out.

"Everyone says there are the top four and they are one league and then there's another league.

"You have got the people fighting to get in, that's the way I see it, that has been the big change."

Really interesting reading that back after what's happened this week....

i've changed the title slightly, i dont want anyone else suffering the same near heart attack i did!

:huh:

Incidentally, has anyone got a link to the youtube clip of the program? I think it was posted ages ago but I can't find it :razz:

i've changed the title slightly, i dont want anyone else suffering the same near heart attack i did!

:huh:

Incidentally, has anyone got a link to the youtube clip of the program? I think it was posted ages ago but I can't find it :D

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...mp;#entry474587

:razz:

Cheers HF - no longer available though <_<