Big Al: Owen loves life at Toon

smoggeordie

.cock

ALAN Shearer says that he cannot understand why big pal Michael Owen has been criticised for wanting to get back playing and scoring goals for club and country.

The 27-year-old underwent stomach surgery over two weeks ago and declared himself fit for the Magpies clash with Everton just eight days later, the United No.10 coming from the bench to score the all-important third in a 3-2 victory.

And Geordie legend Shearer, who knows Owen better than most, insists that the former Real Madrid ace is loving life on Tyneside with his wife and children settled in the area.

"He's very happy here - he's come out and said it numerous times," Big Al told Newcastle World TV after scoring a hat-trick in the Princes Trust Challenge Trophy at St.James' Park on Sunday.

"He loves the area - his family's here and his kids are at school.

"He can't control what's been said, and he can't come out every week. He's happy, and he shouldn't have to do that.

"He's frustrated, but he's a tough lad. He'll handle it, and he'll score goals."

Owen travels to Russia this week with the Three Lions for their crunch Euro 2008 Qualifier in Moscow having played 70 minutes of Saturday's 3-0 victory over Estonia at Wembley.

And Shearer says that he cannot see the crime in a player wanting to get back in action as quickly as possible following injury.

"I don't understand how it's such a crime to first of all get back to playing for Newcastle," he added.

"I know Sam said he was fit to start the game (against Everton), and Michael said he was fit to start the game. He came on and scored, and did very well.

"He wants to play for England, and I don't see the crime in that.

"I don't understand where the criticism's coming from."

"He loves the area - his family's here and his kids are at school."

is that true? i thought he'd been commuting by chopper from the north west. looked that way from the documentary on him the other week.

Edited by Dr Gloom

I know where you're coming from, Alex.

However, there's shit-stirring written every day by the rags about him. There's no need for him to come out every other day saying he's content here. He made a statement in his newspaper article a couple of months ago saying he was happy, and I'm sure that is still the case.

Why should he have to make statements to let everyone know he is happy?

He is here, he is scoring goals

I do think he should sign a new deal with no release clause and that would put an end to any speculation and put the club firmly in control of the situation

I know where you're coming from, Alex.

However, there's shit-stirring written every day by the rags about him. There's no need for him to come out every other day saying he's content here. He made a statement in his newspaper article a couple of months ago saying he was happy, and I'm sure that is still the case.

Not saying he should come out every day and The Sun have been ridiculous over the last week or so re: this. The problem is when he has been interviewed recently and this has cropped up he's been fairly vague on the matter. He could have easily said something along these lines but, for whatever reason, chose not to.

Why can't Owen make statements like this?

Does he need to? Does Martins weekly 'I love the toon' articles convince you he wouldn't move to the top 4 if wanted? Sure it won't happen, but they said Owen would never come here either.

Even if he did say it, he wouldn't be believed. I had someone this very weekend swore blind Owen didn't live in Newcastle, and pretty much used that as the basis he's off in Jan. You can't fight ignorance like that.

Does he need to? Does Martins weekly 'I love the toon' articles convince you he wouldn't move to the top 4 if wanted? Sure it won't happen, but they said Owen would never come here either.

Even if he did say it, he wouldn't be believed. I had someone this very weekend swore blind Owen didn't live in Newcastle, and pretty much used that as the basis he's off in Jan. You can't fight ignorance like that.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...ticle250409.ece

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...article7604.ece

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...ticle264962.ece

He hates Newcastle Utd.

To be fair if I were him I wouldn't want to get into the game of endless demonstrating his "love" for the club either, he'd have to spend more time at it than playing, training or even returning from injury. :unsure:

He hates Newcastle Utd.

To be fair if I were him I wouldn't want to get into the game of endless demonstrating his "love" for the club either, he'd have to spend more time at it than playing, training or even returning from injury. :unsure:

I know you're 'avin' a larf but it wouldn't do any harm now and again, would it? Especially at present. I know 'he doesn't have to' etc.

He hates Newcastle Utd.

I know you're 'avin' a larf but it wouldn't do any harm now and again, would it? Especially at present. I know 'he doesn't have to' etc.

Totally agree.

What other top players have to make these regular statements to appease the fans?

It's purely down to needing to calm some people's inferiority complex about NUFC, it's just sad.

He hates Newcastle Utd.

Maybe, but in all seriousness it might be something that once started he cannot stop, and that's IF it doesn't backfire on him (either by fans saying it's just guff or feeding even more media frenzy on the subject).

Really a decent run of games would be the best for all thing.

Guest James_coDurham
What other top players have to make these regular statements to appease the fans?

It's purely down to needing to calm some people's inferiority complex about NUFC, it's just sad.

Other top players make them when consantly linked with moves away. The only ones that don't move to stop the speculation are the ones who want out, Henry and Robben being recent examples of prolonged speculation before their respective moves.

He hates Newcastle Utd.

To be fair if I were him I wouldn't want to get into the game of endless demonstrating his "love" for the club either, he'd have to spend more time at it than playing, training or even returning from injury. ;)

Maybe, but in all seriousness it might be something that once started he cannot stop, and that's IF it doesn't backfire on him (either by fans saying it's just guff or feeding even more media frenzy on the subject).

Really a decent run of games would be the best for all thing.

He could do it VERY easily. If he wanted to. :unsure:

I agree though, doing it on the pitch is what matters. I really hope he comes back fit this week because people really will turn on him if he doesn't (however stupid that might be).

Other top players make them when consantly linked with moves away. The only ones that don't move to stop the speculation are the ones who want out, Henry and Robben being recent examples of prolonged speculation before their respective moves.

Henry said he was staying many times.

He stayed at Arsenal a canny while tbf. I don't think his loyalty was called into question much.

He stayed at Arsenal a canny while tbf. I don't think his loyalty was called into question much.

His regular pronouncements of his love for the club were pretty pointless though weren't they? Why has anyone questioned Owen's loyalty? Because of his lack of press comment - what does press comment mean in the grand scheme of things - nothing.

Emre pissed off to play for his country after returning from injury and playing a game for us. Nobody batted an eyelid. Perhaps it was because he came out in the press the other week proclaiming his love, even though he would be as likely to move as anybody given the right offer.

His regular pronouncements of his love for the club were pretty pointless though weren't they? Why has anyone questioned Owen's loyalty? Because of his lack of press comment - what does press comment mean in the grand scheme of things - nothing.

Emre pissed off to play for his country after returning from injury and playing a game for us. Nobody batted an eyelid. Perhaps it was because he came out in the press the other week proclaiming his love, even though he would be as likely to move as anybody given the right offer.

Emre should have got hammered for that too. It was mentioned on here at the time.

Re: Henry, he did it on the pitch. If Owen does the same, there won't be a problem.

Edited by alex