Middlesbrough: worst town in England

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Middlesbrough 'worst town'

A new survey has named Middlesbrough as the worst place to live in England.

The poll - for Channel 4's property show Location, Location, Location - studied cities across the country on the basis of culture, crime, health and education.

And while the 'best' place to live in the country will be named this Wednesday, the Teesside town has topped the table of the worst England has to offer.

Researchers found that some 27 per cent of residents binge-drink - nine per cent more than the national average - while just one in ten residents are physically active.

And with an average wage of £16,998, compared to the national figure of £23,580, Middlesbrough has the 16th-lowest average salary in England.

David Budd, leader of the Labour group on Middlesbrough city council, dismissed the show's findings.

"We've got a massive regeneration programme taking place, we have one of the country's fastest growing universities, we have the largest new public square in the country and the BBC Proms hosted a concert here this year," he told the Daily Mail.

"No one would deny we have enormous problems but to say Middlesbrough is the worst place to live in the country is ludicrous."

Last year's 'worst place to live', Hackney in east London, was named the 12th worst in 2007 while Hull was named the second-least desirable town.

Researchers found that some 27 per cent of residents binge-drink - nine per cent more than the national average - while just one in ten residents are physically active.

:unsure:

1 in ten? fucking hell!

:unsure:

1 in ten? fucking hell!

Surely that's only the one's gannin to collect all the drink?

Tell you a few places that are absolute shit holes of the highest order that I have had the unfortunate pleasure of frequenting quite often in my time, Easington, Murton all of those places spring to mind.

Tell you a few places that are absolute shit holes of the highest order that I have had the unfortunate pleasure of frequenting quite often in my time, Easington, Murton all of those places spring to mind.

St. Helens

Derby

Hull

Keighley

Grimsby

Doncaster

Blackpool

Milford Haven

Staines

Chatham

Strood

Bollocks is it the worst place in the country. London is just lucky that its so big that the shitholes there all come under one big umbrella and theres enough nice places to outweigh it.

I'd live in Middlesbrough over a place like Peckham every day of the week.

If you keep reading, it gives Redcar and Cleveland 5/5.

Quick guide: The Borough of Redcar and Cleveland is positioned on the east coast of England and covers over 93 square miles, with a population of 139,500. The borough is one of visual contrast - it borders the North Yorkshire Moors, has rugged North Sea coastlines, plenty of countryside and several eye-catching market towns. Redcar and Cleveland is also home to some of Britain's biggest industrial companies and plays a vital role in the UK's chemical and steel industries. As such, the average weekly wage of the workforce is £455, which is considerably higher than the North East standard. Conversely, property in the area is relatively cheap - at £128,716, house prices have increased by just 4.1% in the last year and remain extremely affordable.

So it goes from the worst to one of the best within about 3 miles? Fucking hell some of Middlesbrough is in R&C!!

All they've really done is rate places on crime, house prices and GCSE results. Hardly the best way to determine the best place for anyone to live. I seriously hope the programme is supposed to help anyone choose where to live, as opposed to being typical provacative Channel 4 crap.

Quick guide: The Borough of Redcar and Cleveland is positioned on the east coast of England and covers over 93 square miles, with a population of 139,500. The borough is one of visual contrast - it borders the North Yorkshire Moors, has rugged North Sea coastlines, plenty of countryside and several eye-catching market towns. Redcar and Cleveland is also home to some of Britain's biggest industrial companies and plays a vital role in the UK's chemical and steel industries. As such, the average weekly wage of the workforce is £455, which is considerably higher than the North East standard. Conversely, property in the area is relatively cheap - at £128,716, house prices have increased by just 4.1% in the last year and remain extremely affordable.

So it goes from the worst to one of the best within about 3 miles? Fucking hell some of Middlesbrough is in R&C!!

I know you've a soft spot for the town and I know it'll always be a sensitive subject so I'll be as diplomatic as possible.

it's a shit hole. :lol:

Bollocks is it the worst place in the country. London is just lucky that its so big that the shitholes there all come under one big umbrella and theres enough nice places to outweigh it.

granted there are some rough estates in peckham but it's nowhere near as bad as people make out. hpeckham rye is actually really nice. i'd much rather live in peckham than somewhere like croydon or boro

The area around it isn't so bad, the coastal areas are pretty nice (to the south if not the immediate east and north) and you're onto the moors quite quickly too.

But Boro itself is an unremitting shithole..... kinda reminds me of Stoke only dirtier (although in fairness it's cleaned up a lot but still feels very grimy).

granted there are some rough estates in peckham but it's nowhere near as bad as people make out. hpeckham rye is actually really nice. i'd much rather live in peckham than somewhere like croydon or boro

Parmos > darkies

Guest stevieintoon

I can't believe some of the comments on here. "I'd rather live in Middlesbrough than Peckham" would ye? Well I wouldn't as long as I wasn't somewhere like Nelson Mandela House. Middlesbrough is the biggest shithole in Western Europe that I've seen. Remember this is about MIDDLESBROUGH, not Stockton or Nunthorpe or Yarm. To be fair it's worse than Sunderland and that's saying something.

You come down the A19, you get about 15 miles away and ye come owa that hill, and aal ye can see for miles and miles across the horizon, is chimneys smoke, just horrible, and the closer ye get to it the more it becomes like a scene from Mad Max. Fully justified as the worst town in Britain, and to be honest most places are shitholes, but none more so than Boro. It's quite accurate I think because, I'd have had Boro and Hull in my top 5 and they are 1 and 2.

Boro, Hull, Luton, Burnley and Sunderland would be in my top 5

If there's any justice we'll be given best city award.

The poll - for Channel 4's property show Location, Location, Location - studied cities across the country on the basis of culture, crime, health and education.

And while the 'best' place to live in the country will be named this Wednesday, the Teesside town has topped the table of the worst England has to offer.

And with an average wage of £16,998, compared to the national figure of £23,580, Middlesbrough has the 16th-lowest average salary in England.

David Budd, leader of the Labour group on Middlesbrough city council, dismissed the show's findings.

"We've got a massive regeneration programme taking place, we have one of the country's fastest growing universities, we have the largest new public square in the country and the BBC Proms hosted a concert here this year," he told the Daily Mail.

"No one would deny we have enormous problems but to say Middlesbrough is the worst place to live in the country is ludicrous."

Last year's 'worst place to live', Hackney in east London, was named the 12th worst in 2007 while Hull was named the second-least desirable town.

Webbed hands?

Guest stevieintoon
Well, I'm standing by a river but the water doesn't flow, and it boils with every poison you can think of

Well said Chris Rea

Fair point on the generalisation:

Marton, Nunthorpe and Stokesley, all nice places, classed as Middlesbrough

Grangetown and South Bank (two of the worst places on Teesside) come under Redcar & Cleveland's boundary.