What is happening to our towns?

Glasgow Mag

Gawd bless local markets. Just got back from mine with all kinds of goodies. Though quite what I'm going to do with half a dozen corn-on-the-cobs is anyone's guess. (Quiet at the back, there.)

In these image obsessed times, people don't trust anything without a 'brand identity' - hence why you see people go to Maccy Dees and Pret a Manger instead of local shops that can be cheaper and have nicer food. But you frankly cannot blame supermarkets for their closure, it is obvious that people prefer them so they can't complain. The only thing to complain about is council planners who allowed rampant self contained develoment, and do not think about 'joined up shopping' - why go to the high street if you are going to get ass-fucked by a traffic warden or be forced to ride a bus with some addict, drunk or charva and his mobile disco. But that is a more general planning issue where the only new building is houses in self contained estates, with no regard for new local shops etc. The irony is that China of all places is planning complete self contained cities with agriculture and farmers markets integrated within the fabric of the city, what are we doing? bulldozing the greenmarket for more bloody clothes shops for twats to buy designer their jeans from.

How come a lot of our towns are becoming shitholes? Off licences, betting shops, take-aways, tanning salons and amusement arcades springing up all over the place, at the expense of small local businesses. Ardrossan on the west coast of Scotland is a prime example. Makes my piss boil. No matter youngsters hang about getting pissed in bus stops and grow up into fat alcoholic smoking unemployable layabouts.

I'm afraid there never was a Golden Age - it's always been a bit uo & down

How come a lot of our towns are becoming shitholes? Off licences, betting shops, take-aways, tanning salons and amusement arcades springing up all over the place, at the expense of small local businesses. Ardrossan on the west coast of Scotland is a prime example. Makes my piss boil. No matter youngsters hang about getting pissed in bus stops and grow up into fat alcoholic smoking unemployable layabouts.

Everything's relative when your frame of reference can be measured in ice ages...

Well theres always been the peasant underclass.

These days the media pay more attention to the underclass...

The real working class are disillusioned, they hate and fear the underclass...

the upper and middle classes run the media that this underclass is a victim of (thus the underclass feel alienated themselves, almost causing themselves to be underclass forever), and this keeps the working class with something to talk about.

as is my perception.

Everything's relative when your frame of reference can be measured in ice ages...

I do have the benifit of a long view I admit................. but it's amazing how time changes people's views

You'd think the 50's on Tyneside were some fabulous time listening to a lot of folk - but it wasn't like that at all

I do have the benifit of a long view I admit................. but it's amazing how time changes people's views

You'd think the 50's on Tyneside were some fabulous time listening to a lot of folk - but it wasn't like that at all

Lets be honest, as far back as the mid-80s and it was shite.

Lets be honest, as far back as the mid-80s and it was shite.

I'm just amazed how chav culture (or fashion anyway) rippled out from places like Liverpool so quickly and destroyed all native scum fashions (although in fairness perhaps they were all pretty similar with only things like the local tart "in" hairstyle being different).

Well theres always been the peasant underclass.

These days the media pay more attention to the underclass...

The real working class are disillusioned, they hate and fear the underclass...

the upper and middle classes run the media that this underclass is a victim of (thus the underclass feel alienated themselves, almost causing themselves to be underclass forever), and this keeps the working class with something to talk about.

as is my perception.

Blair was kinda right about the UK becoming a classless society, or at least in the sense of old classes.

These days I reckon there's probably:

The upper class (which kinda takes in what might have been part of the middle class) - although this has less to do with wealth or even "breeding" so much as self-believe and snobbery.

The TV class (which is most of once would have been called the working class and middle class).

And The Chavs.

And the best/only "solution" is still to kill them all. :lol:

Guest stevieintoon
I go to the Byker Morrisons every day to get my lunch and the place his fucking heaving, every day without fail. Meanwhile, the rest of Shields Rd is either empty or closing down. Wacky is right, there are a shit load of bookies and amusement arcades and nowt much else.

It's a shame because when I worked there I used to love the cheap fruit and veg shops. Those places where you could get Easter eggs for 50p in July were good too. It used to be a proper thriving street when my granny used to take me there as a bairn.

Aye me nana used to take me to Parishes once a month to buy me a matchbox car, and at christmas there was a Santa in there that stunk of piss. There used to be far more bars on Shields Road too.

I go to the Byker Morrisons every day to get my lunch and the place his fucking heaving, every day without fail. Meanwhile, the rest of Shields Rd is either empty or closing down. Wacky is right, there are a shit load of bookies and amusement arcades and nowt much else.

It's a shame because when I worked there I used to love the cheap fruit and veg shops. Those places where you could get Easter eggs for 50p in July were good too. It used to be a proper thriving street when my granny used to take me there as a bairn.

Aye me nana used to take me to Parishes once a month to buy me a matchbox car, and at christmas there was a Santa in there that stunk of piss. There used to be far more bars on Shields Road too.

You could get owt in Parish's. Within reason. Remember Beaven's too?

Guest stevieintoon

You could get owt in Parish's. Within reason. Remember Beaven's too?

Aye Beavan's. I remember hundreds of old people at Potts Street queuing for the buses too. Now I'm not a snobby cunt me, but see Shields Road I look round and everyone is ugly as fuck, and there's no one about, for the reasons stated above. Sad because it used to be full of life.

Aye Beavan's. I remember hundreds of old people at Potts Street queuing for the buses too. Now I'm not a snobby cunt me, but see Shields Road I look round and everyone is ugly as fuck, and there's no one about, for the reasons stated above. Sad because it used to be full of life.

Amen to that. Working there in the summer used to bring out the sights. Either skinny charvs wearing no tops or huge heffer lasses in tiny tight tops.

I feel a bit sick now.

• 5 months later...

I'd like to add Alexandria in Argyll - what an utter keich-pot of a place, so downtrodden, every shop is an Indian takeaway, an amusement arcade, a "cash your cheque here" place, an off-license with metal bars to protect the staff or a defence lawyer. Sums the place up really!

Nearby places such as Renton, Jameston, Balloch, Helensburgh and Dumbarton are all nearly as bad.

Totally agree marra.

Seems like the UDP's dont work any more and need revising.

Totally agree marra.

Seems like the UDP's dont work any more and need revising.

I presume you are on about Unitary Development Plans?

They are gone, well going.... UDP's, Local Plans and Structure Plans have been replaced by the Local Development Framework in England and Wales, or they will be, many local authorities are a long way away from adopting their LDF. The structure is Scotland is different and still has Local Plans and Structure Plans.

Edited by Greg