Choose the St James's Park run-out anthem

Scottish Mag

NEWCASTLE United supporters have been divided over the club’s controversial decision to ditch iconic anthem Local Hero this season as the teams run out on to the pitch at St James’s Park.

Now The Journal is giving you the chance to have your say in an online vote.

The 1983 song by Newcastle-born Mark Knopfler has been replaced by If The Kids Are United, by the London-based punk band Sham 69.

But now The Journal is inviting all Newcastle United fans to have their say over what the run-out anthem should be...and officials at Newcastle United have promised to listen.

Club bosses say they want to improve the atmosphere at St James’s Park, and opted for the new song because the upbeat anthem finishes with a chant of “United, United”.

But after the mixed response to the move, they say they are looking for supporters to tell them what they want to hear when the team emerges on to the pitch.

A United spokesman said: “We were looking to improve the atmosphere and thought maybe it was time for a change in the music.

“We hear a lot of different opinions from fans, people are quite divided – some like Local Hero, others would like to hear The Blaydon Races while some say they don’t want any music at all so the crowd can build the atmosphere.

“We are keen to hear from fans so we can get the best formula and ensure the atmosphere at St James’s is as good as it always is.”

So now its your chance to ensure the fans’ choice is the one which rings out at St James’s.

The Journal is encouraging all Magpie supporters to write, text or go online with their preference from Local Hero, The Blaydon Races, If The Kids Are United or if you think it should be down to the crowd to fill the ground with noise. Frank Gilmour, of the Newcastle United Independent Supporters Association, said: “I can’t understand why they changed it. Local Hero has become as much a Geordie anthem as The Blaydon Races.

“It was written by a Geordie and has a strong connection with the club.

“It got my spine-tingling every time they played it and I knew the players were about to come out.”

A number of readers have already contacted The Journal to express their opinion on the change.

Season ticket holder Stuart Campbell, who travels to the games from Glasgow, wrote: “Local Hero is one of the anthems of our Geordie nation.

“It is synonymous with home, with being a Geordie, with pride, passion and identity. It evokes images of God’s country that are rooted deep within our souls.”

Now we want to hear your opinion. To register your vote, click here.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Local Hero is a bit lame I reckon. You want something rousing if you're going to bother at all. The fact Sham69 are from London doesn't bother me. Fucking cringeworthy comments from that kid at the end there too. I love the way he says all that but lives in Glasgow :unsure:

Local Hero is a bit lame I reckon. You want something rousing if you're going to bother at all. The fact Sham69 are from London doesn't bother me. Fucking cringeworthy comments from that kid at the end there too. I love the way he says all that but lives in Glasgow :unsure:

Does it matter where he lives?

Does it matter where he lives?

In the context of his comments, I found it funny.

I'm with Alex, Local hero is too slow and dreary, it should be something that sends a tingle down the spine and rouses the spirits, but having said that, if the players need a song to motivate them then something is very wrong.

You know it was a song about West Ham though right?

I like local hero, but I dont mind it being changed if need be. Just not the crock of shite they have been throwing on of late. While the Blaydon Races is our song, it doesnt really get you going and that version is play is shite.

With Local hero, I like it because it reminds me of numerous good nights at the ground and people identify it with us.

Never has been and never will be the sort of rousing anthem to preceed kick off. It's relaxing and soothing -the musical equivalent of the shrubbery which used to meander up the back of the old Gallowgate (which we needed in them days just to keep the suicide rate down).

A relic of the 'it's local so it's got to be good' parochial mentality. If anything it should be reserved for the players to warm down to at the end of a match.

I must admit I love the tune when I go to the match

Nothing quite compares to Local Hero for making my hair on the back of my neck stand up and send a shiver down my spine

Its a song that is strongly associated with the Toon and I hate the shite they play at the start of the match for this season.

Bring it back imo

1 Million times better than "I'm forever blowing bubbles" by the Cockney Wankers

Black Lace would be more suitable for the way them twats play the majority of the time

Better than the theme to Benny Hill that would have been more applicable under GR.

I know I live in one of the lost colony's and don't get to visit St.James' too often but the song "Home Newcastle" and the lines in it always make me feel warm inside and proud to be a Geordie.

It may not be a rousing tune but it has a nice lilt to it and with words like;

I'm coming home Newcastle, wished I'd never been away,

I'd kiss the ground for the welcome sound of me mother saying "hinny haway"

If you never win the Cup again, I'd brave the dark at St.James' Park at the Gallowgate end in the rain,

How can this song not be considered as an overture to a match?

Local Hero is a bit lame I reckon. You want something rousing if you're going to bother at all. The fact Sham69 are from London doesn't bother me. Fucking cringeworthy comments from that kid at the end there too. I love the way he says all that but lives in Glasgow :lol:

Bit like those Daily Mail readers who complain about immigrants who live in Spain.

More of the same from Noelie too. :o

Bring it back. The poll is a bit crap though, could at least have an 'Other' option. And for those who say it's too slow, we are not the Boro, we don't need music to get excited, Local Hero is about pride and passion, not razzamattazz.