Choose the St James's Park run-out anthem

Scottish Mag

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I live in one of the lost colony's and don't get to visit St.James' too often but the song "Home Newcastle" and the lines in it always make me feel warm inside and proud to be a Geordie.

It may not be a rousing tune but it has a nice lilt to it and with words like;

I'm coming home Newcastle, wished I'd never been away,

I'd kiss the ground for the welcome sound of me mother saying "hinny haway"

If you never win the Cup again, I'd brave the dark at St.James' Park at the Gallowgate end in the rain,

How can this song not be considered as an overture to a match?

I used to love hearing that song when I was at the match as a kid, even though I got half the lyrics wrong! I bought an NUFC CD that was supposed to be a present last year and ended up keeping the CD just for that song.

Call me a sentamentalist but I hope they bring back local hero and brass bands at half time!

We never get to here the fucking run-out anthem due to the farce of the swipe cards. :lol:

There hasn't been a queue at our turnstiles at all this season so I thought the swipe card system must be working quite well.

I miss it, but then I'm an outsider. It's just something I associate with the match and if it's not there it's a pity.

A Liverpool fan (I might regret this...:lol:) on N-O put it well IMO: 'As a non-Geordie I thought it was one of the classiest things about your club. No lyrics, no fireworks, no overblown pomposity just a damn fine piece of music which said "I can only be in St. James' Park".'.

I liked Blitzkrieg Bop. I also think an instrumental of 'Two Tribes' would make excellent run-out music.

Got to agree to 'Two Tribes'

I'm sure that someone will kindly correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the dirge that is 'Local Hero', written for a sentimentally crappy Scottish film (of the same name)

With Mr.Knopfler being as geordie as Tony Blair

(He lived in Gosforth for about 28 minutes during the 60's) :lol:

I liked Thunderstruck tbh

Considering the growing aussie/geordie connection :lol: with the club that's actually not a bad idea.

Taking it further if you could find someone with half a brain as the dj, back in black with a pause after black so the crowd could call "and white" could sound amazing.

I know I live in one of the lost colony's and don't get to visit St.James' too often but the song "Home Newcastle" and the lines in it always make me feel warm inside and proud to be a Geordie.

It may not be a rousing tune but it has a nice lilt to it and with words like;

I'm coming home Newcastle, wished I'd never been away,

I'd kiss the ground for the welcome sound of me mother saying "hinny haway"

If you never win the Cup again, I'd brave the dark at St.James' Park at the Gallowgate end in the rain,

How can this song not be considered as an overture to a match?

I also think "Home Newcastle" should be played before matches, we have long sung it in my family especially the bit about never winning the cup again after ugly losses.

Considering the growing aussie/geordie connection :lol: with the club that's actually not a bad idea.

Taking it further if you could find someone with half a brain as the dj, back in black with a pause after black so the crowd could call "and white" could sound amazing.

That's complete cringe tbh

(He lived in Gosforth for about 28 minutes during the 60's) :lol:

OK, so he was born in Glasgow but he came to live in Newcastle when he was 9 years old. His mother was from Newcastle and he spent a bit more than 28 minutes in Gosforth so he's a bit more of a Geordie than Tony Blair :o

Only moved to the NE when he was 9? I'm sure my primary school used to claim him as one of theirs. :lol: Mind you, 28 days of school would be good going compared with the attendance records of some of the local inbreds' sprogs.

Knew you would love it, absolutely love it :o

Guest stevieintoon

I love local hero. The start of the new NUFC was against Southend really, I never had much optimsim before that game, the atmosphere was mint, and it was the first time they played local hero at the start of the game, 29000 there that was a great day even though we only won 3-2.

It's as much a part of the toon as anything really, but some might say times move on. To be fair I'm never in my seat when they run oot anyway, so it doesn't have a massive baring on me. I tell you what worked really well though, baring in mind they're the shitest fans in the Premiership, I thought this was fantastic at Highbury

I think they jacked it at the Emirates though, and if we can't have Local Hero I wouldn't mind that.

For once, I totally agree with Sima. That would be truly awful. If I'm going to be honest, I like Local Hero but I'm not that arsed what we come out to, as long as they NEVER play music after goals.

(He lived in Gosforth for about 28 minutes during the 60's) :o

OK, so he was born in Glasgow but he came to live in Newcastle when he was 9 years old. His mother was from Newcastle and he spent a bit more than 28 minutes in Gosforth so he's a bit more of a Geordie than Tony Blair <_<

If you are born in Glasgow does that not make you 'GLASWEGIAN' Noellie? :lol:

There are people traveling from Scotland to Kings' Cross who have spent longer in Newcastle.It doesn't qualify them to be Geordies. <_<

It is obvious that I dislike the tune,but let us be honest.It is written by a [b]scot[/b],for a scottish film about a scottish local hero.What has that got to do with us?

Edited by Dogmatix

Local Hero still the fans’ home banker

Oct 16 2007 by Chloe Griffiths, The Journal

THE search for the definitive Newcastle United anthem gathered pace yesterday as The Journal was inundated with responses from fans.

Scores of readers emailed, texted or went online to vote for the song the black-and-whites should run out to.

And the overwhelming majority of fans who have voted so far want the Magpies once again to emerge on the pitch to Newcastle-born Mark Knopfler’s guitar classic Local Hero.

Supporters believe it has become synonymous with the pride and passion of the fans and the club.

But earlier this season, the 1983 classic was sidelined by club officials who said they wanted to introduce a new number to “improve the atmosphere” at the ground.

They opted for If the Kids Are United, by London punk band Sham 69, because of its upbeat ending, a chant of “United, United”.

But the switch received a mixed response from followers, many of whom were dismayed to lose the long-standing anthem.

So now The Journal is giving all Magpie fans the chance to choose the song they believe will best galvanise the crowd. And the club have promised to listen, insisting they want to find the perfect Magpie anthem, whether it be one of those two or The Blaydon Races.

We want all readers to write, text, or go online to chose their preference.

By last night – just hours after our poll was launched – we had received almost 200 votes. Local Hero is already miles ahead with 165 votes, against 12 for The Blaydon Races and just four for If the Kids Are United. Seven people voted not to have an anthem at all.

Season ticket holder Heather Wales, of Gateshead, was right behind Local Hero. She wrote: “The hairs on the back of my neck used to stand up every time the players ran out on to the pitch when Local Hero came on.

“Why on earth they felt they had to change it is beyond me. I want to enter my vote to bring back Local Hero.”

Streams of fans also logged on to our website journallive.co.uk to register their vote, with Local Hero also taking pole position.

A Newcastle United spokesman said: “We hear a lot of different opinions from fans. People are quite divided – some like Local Hero, others would like to hear The Blaydon Races, while some say they don’t want any music at all so the crowd can build the atmosphere.

“We are keen to hear from fans so we can get the best formula and ensure the atmosphere at St James’s is as good as it always is.”

Season ticket holder Heather Wales, of Gateshead, was right behind Local Hero. She wrote: “The hairs on the back of my neck used to stand up every time the players ran out on to the pitch when Local Hero came on.

Same tbh

On the back of her neck? Get them shaved you hairy bitch!

We never get to here the fucking run-out anthem due to the farce of the swipe cards. :lol:

There hasn't been a queue at our turnstiles at all this season so I thought the swipe card system must be working quite well.

Fucking nightmare where I sit man.