Tayls Inspired By Rugby Heroes

bawan

ENGLAND Under-21 captain Steven Taylor says that he and his team-mates will use the success of the country's rugby heroes as inspiration when they face Republic of Ireland on Tuesday.

The young Three Lions watched on Saturday as England battled their way to the World Cup final in a tense victory over host nation France.

And Magpies defender Tayls is hoping to use that performance as motivation for their clash with the Irish as they look to extend their 100 per cent start to the Euro qualifying campaign.

"It was an inspirational performance watching the rugby lads," he said.

"Even the lads who don't like rugby were watching it. It inspired the players when we saw the national anthems.

"When you put on the shirt you know how much it means."

And Taylor says that he is growing into his role as England skipper after being handed the armband by Stuart Pearce during the summer.

"It's a massive honour. I've been lucky enough to work closely with three great England captains and learn from them all," he added.

"It's made me realise that the job's not just about what happens on the pitch, but also what I do off it - and I like to try and lead by example.

"I'll demand what's best for the team and our country."

"It's made me realise that the job's not just about what happens on the pitch, but also what I do off it - and I like to try and lead by example.

"I'll demand what's best for the team and our country. Only for an extra £10k a week though, obviously"