Allardyce under fire for tactics

Scottish Mag

Sam Allardyce has defended the entertainment on offer at St James's Park this season.

Newcastle United have made an unbeaten start to the season at home under their new manager, and are back in action on Monday when Tottenham Hotspur are the visitors to Gallowgate.

But some supporters have bemoaned a lack of creativity under Allardyce.

Allardyce, however, has rubbished his suggestion, and called upon the statistics from their 3-2 home win over Everton to back his case.

He said: "We had 19 attempts at goal against Everton in our last game, 10 of them on target, and we have scored three very good goals in the end.

"We dominated the last game, apart from the start of the second half period, but we got control back and kept control.

"We need to keep on improving defensively, and not to concede sloppy goals.

"If we can do that, it'll put us in good stead for the next couple of months."

Scoring goals proved a problem for United under Glenn Roeder last term, but Allardyce believes his team will have no worries on that count this season.

And he says his biggest concern is stopping them at the other end.

Allardyce added: "Scoring goals is a problem towards last season, but we've laid that to rest.

"Obviously, we scored three against Everton and three against West Ham.

"We still have to tighten up at home and away, and defensively we'd like to be more solid. It's an area which we need to be better in.

"Injuries have caused a bit of disruption in the team, but as a squad we have to stick together."

What? Who?

I think most intelligent people realise that missing Emre, Duff and Barton, and having to play Charlie in defence was the main reason we are lacking drive/creativity in the centre. Smith, Butt and Geremi don't offer very much going forward. End of.

What? Who?

I think most intelligent people realise that missing Emre, Duff and Barton, and having to play Charlie in defence was the main reason we are lacking drive/creativity in the centre. Smith, Butt and Geremi don't offer very much going forward. End of.

Dr Gloom and Baggio tbh

We do lack creativity and his tactics usually consist of long ball rubbish.

It's easy for Allardyce to point at our last 2 home games, perhaps he should look at how we've played in our last few away games where we've hardly created a handful of chances in all of them put together, he moved on 2 of our better players in Solano and Dyer and done little in the way of replacing them, which has left us with a starting 11 stripped of pace that we need to stretch games and the ability to pass the ball forward.

Barton isn't creative, he's a midfielder who will grab the game by the scruff of the neck and drag the team forward, Emre isn't creative as such either although he's a step up from Geremi in the middle and Duff looks a shadow of the player he was at Chelsea, if Allardyce was pinning all of our creative hopes on these 3 then we really will have problems.

A new right winger in January has to be his top priority.

It's easy for Allardyce to point at our last 2 home games, perhaps he should look at how we've played in our last few away games where we've hardly created a handful of chances in all of them put together, he moved on 2 of our better players in Solano and Dyer and done little in the way of replacing them, which has left us with a starting 11 stripped of pace that we need to stretch games and the ability to pass the ball forward.

Barton isn't creative, he's a midfielder who will grab the game by the scruff of the neck and drag the team forward, Emre isn't creative as such either although he's a step up from Geremi in the middle and Duff looks a shadow of the player he was at Chelsea, if Allardyce was pinning all of our creative hopes on these 3 then we really will have problems.

Have to disagree about Emre, he's got it in him to be an Arteta/Elano/Riquelme. Dictated games for Turkey at a young age in the World Cup. He just needs lots of the ball and a run in the team as a playmaker with midfielders to do his dirty work so to speak. His best games for me were when he was played with Butt when Parker was out injured. He needs to show us what he is truly capable of now that he claims to be fully fit (and looks a bit trimmer tbf), otherwise we'll move him on and get someone who will perform consistently for us =)

Considering both Dyer and Solano wanted to leave, and not many clubs wanted them, I don't see Allardyce had much choice. Using your preferred method of selling before buying makes it even harder. And I seem to remember Dyer even saying he was up for working with Allardyce when he arrived.

Considering both Dyer and Solano wanted to leave, and not many clubs wanted them, I don't see Allardyce had much choice. Using your preferred method of selling before buying makes it even harder. And I seem to remember Dyer even saying he was up for working with Allardyce when he arrived.

you have to look at the players he replaced them with though. i'm glad he sorted the defence but dyer and solano haven't really been replaced in terms of what they brought to the team. maybe barton will go some way to improving our creativity but we're still short on pace and vision in midfield now those two have gone.

you have to look at the players he replaced them with though. i'm glad he sorted the defence but dyer and solano haven't really been replaced in terms of what they brought to the team. maybe barton will go some way to improving our creativity but we're still short on pace and vision in midfield now those two have gone.

I'm not saying he hasn't replaced them, just that Allardyce didn't get much chance to do it, especially if you believe Baggio that he was selling to buy and had other priorities. My view is that Allardyce isn't actually wanting direct replacements for either.

The fact they wanted to leave makes no difference to the fact we didn't replace them properly tbh.

As for selling before we buy, look at the Parker and Barton deals if you want proof of that, Allardyce said himself that he sold Parker to buy Barton which suggests he either needed the money or he didn't want both players on the books at the same time.

Fucking hell the short term memory we seem to suffer from.

The problem with dyer and solano is one had the pace and the other had the vision and they were both fighting for the same position!

I'm not saying he hasn't replaced them, just that Allardyce didn't get much chance to do it, especially if you believe Baggio that he was selling to buy and had other priorities. My view is that Allardyce isn't actually wanting direct replacements for either.

He didn't get much chance?!

The talk about Dyer looking for a move was clear in July and Allardyce said himself after one of our friendly games that his replacement would be revealed the next day which turned out to be Smith, it was also clear for a while that Solano was looking to move on too so the "no time for a replacement" doesn't work with that one either.

If you can't replace them then you shouldn't let them go in the first place.

Considering the amount of work he had to do in the last window I think you need to reserve judgement on Allardyce until at least next summer's dealings before judging him on where he's taking the team.

I recall Dyer committing to Allardyce on an England camp late on in the summer, and I don't recall any mention of Barton over the departure of Parker.

The club originally agreed a fee with West Ham for Dyer on July 21st so it was obvious before then that he was looking to move and a replacement would need to be found.

There was an article in the Journal or Chronicle where Allardyce said he got rid of Parker to sign Barton.

Considering the amount of work he had to do in the last window I think you need to reserve judgement on Allardyce until at least next summer's dealings before judging him on where he's taking the team.

Who's judging him in this thread?

Ooh, get you! Mr. Defensive :lol:

I take it that no one is then. :o

Fairly relevent to the thread itself however.

I don't think it is, I know it's a work in progress and he done well in the summer however we're struggling to create chances away from home this season as well as against Villa at home, I would have thought more of him if he had acknowledged this and pointed out that it is a building job rather than just dismiss it as if everything is fine.

I don't think it is, I know it's a work in progress and he done well in the summer however we're struggling to create chances away from home this season as well as against Villa at home, I would have thought more of him if he had acknowledged this and pointed out that it is a building job rather than just dismiss it as if everything is fine.

I still don't see how what was a general comment on him wasn't relevent to the thread. I can only hope we've got our wires crossed. Never mind, anyway.

Fucking hell the short term memory we seem to suffer from.

The problem with dyer and solano is one had the pace and the other had the vision and they were both fighting for the same position!

hardly. dyer's prefered position is central midfield or up front and nobby played most of last season at right back.

anyway, it's irrelevant. my point is that two attacking players that could make things happen haven't been placed.

i am. he did well to sort out the defence because that was the priority but it was a good window, not a great one, because he didn't find adequate replacements for dyer or solano.

smith is NOT a replacement for either player. i think he should be used solely as a striker and we should bring in two creative midfielders during the next window.

Nobby wasn't a very good right-back tbh

and yet still better in that position than the likes of carr, ramage, huntingdon and all the other knackers who played there for us last season.