Newcastle shut door on talk of losing Michael Owen at cut price

ewerk

October 17, 2007

Newcastle shut door on talk of losing Michael Owen at cut price

George Caulkin

Predatory clubs have been served notice that Michael Owen will not be permitted to leave St James’ Park on the cheap next summer, with Chris Mort, the Newcastle United chairman, confirming last night that the England striker no longer has a get-out clause in his contract.

Sam Allardyce’s rebuilding plans were undermined during the most recent transfer window by speculation regarding Owen’s position, a consequence of the release clause agreed by the previous regime on Tyneside. A similar situation applied to Obafemi Martins, Newcastle’s Nigeria striker.

Owen’s advisers could have opened negotiations with any club who bid £9 million, but Mort has denied that the 27-year-old will be available for a reported £6 million at the end of this season.

“That sort of clause does not exist any longer,” he said. “We want to see a fit Michael Owen scoring goals for Newcastle United for many years to come.”

Whether that results in Owen remaining at Newcastle is uncertain. Manchester City and Manchester United are admirers of the forward and, if Owen does not show a willingness to extend his present deal - worth £115,000 a week – Newcastle would risk losing him for nothing when it expires in 2009.

After having groin surgery recently, Owen’s selection for international duty – and a match today on an artificial surface – has prompted disquiet at his club, but Allardyce maintained yesterday that their relationship is solid. “I’ve not had any friction with him,” he said. “When we have something to discuss, we discuss it and just get on with things.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle2673630.ece

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If he had a get-out clause in his contract in the first place (as seems to be admitted in the article) and he hasn't signed a new contract since (as seems to be the case in the absence of any evidence to the contrary), how is it that he doesn't have a get-out clause in his contract now?

Me no understandee.

If he isn't going to sign a new contract, I'd sell him for £6m if someone offered it in the summer.

it's a tough one. the prospect of owen for a season or £6m in the bank. it's be sod's law that if we did sell him, he'd be injury free and firing for whoever he signed for.

sell him ASAP

and replace him with who? shola ameobi? :lol:

one can score goals but never plays

the other can't score goals but can play

bit of a wash really...............................................

sell him ASAP

and replace him with who? shola ameobi? :lol:

one can score goals but never plays

the other can't score goals but can play

bit of a wash really...............................................

You didn't answer the question there.

If he had a get-out clause in his contract in the first place (as seems to be admitted in the article) and he hasn't signed a new contract since (as seems to be the case in the absence of any evidence to the contrary), how is it that he doesn't have a get-out clause in his contract now?

Me no understandee.

I'm not sure I do either.

Whether it's meant that it doesn't occur till the end of the season (and is out of context), or whether such a clause only existed for the first couple of years of the contract (or even if it's somehow been partially renegotiated).

If he isn't going to sign a new contract, I'd sell him for £6m if someone offered it in the summer.

it's a tough one. the prospect of owen for a season or £6m in the bank. it's be sod's law that if we did sell him, he'd be injury free and firing for whoever he signed for.

And another £5 million in wages although we'll obviously need to replace him, I don't think Allardyce is an Owen fan anyway as he doesn't fit into his favoured 4-3-3 formation.

And another £5 million in wages although we'll obviously need to replace him, I don't think Allardyce is an Owen fan anyway as he doesn't fit into his favoured 4-3-3 formation.

So Allardyce isn't a fan of either of our best strikers?

Long term Allardyce will want to play 4-3-3, he's said so himself that that is his preferred formation and when Owen is missing he's usually changed the formation to play that, long term that is the way he'll want to go IMO.

Long term Allardyce will want to play 4-3-3, he's said so himself that that is his preferred formation and when Owen is missing he's usually changed the formation to play that, long term that is the way he'll want to go IMO.

I dunno that he's said that here though has he?

All I remember him saying here is basically he'll use whatever suits the situation and the players (which is a good thing - within reason anyway).

I'd have thought he'd be mad to want to lose Owen. Especially for £6m when that was what he spent on Smith (although it's not a direct value for money comparison I know).

Well I assume Anelka is the obvious choice to fit into that 3, but who else with Smith/Viduka?

Well I assume Anelka is the obvious choice to fit into that 3, but who else with Smith/Viduka?

I'm not sure who else he see's as being here long term, he seems to see Smith as a player to fit in anywhere and Viduka has to be a short term solution.

I wouldn't be against N'Zogbia playing out there in a 4-3-3 formation as he's capable of chipping in with the goals, good movement and plenty of pace, I think Martins could play out there too from what I've seen of him out wide for us this season, both will take time to adapt but so did Anelka when he first joined Bolton.

Anelka as you mentioned could come here and fit straight in and I wouldn't mind Crouch here to play through the middle, if he was given the same sort of role Kevin Davies did at Bolton I think he could be unplayable to most defences.

I dunno that he's said that here though has he?

All I remember him saying here is basically he'll use whatever suits the situation and the players (which is a good thing - within reason anyway).

I'd have thought he'd be mad to want to lose Owen. Especially for £6m when that was what he spent on Smith (although it's not a direct value for money comparison I know).

He's said it since he's been here, the part about he'll change it depending on the players I put down to him not having the players here to play it at the moment, his signings in the summer suggest he's looking to play 4-3-3 to me (Geremi and Barton as a midfield pairing in a 4-4-2?!) and that long term he'll aim to bring the players in for that, he just had other priorities in the summer.

Crouch???

FFS!

seconded

What's a matter with Crouch as the head of a 4-3-3?

Unplayable in the air, excellent link up play and proving a good finisher with Liverpool.

Theres nowt wrong with crouch as a player - i just think that a club with a billionaire owner, an ambitous manager and the clubs obvious potential could do better.

Crouch???

FFS!

seconded

Unplayable in the air, excellent link up play and proving a good finisher with Liverpool.

Theres nowt wrong with crouch as a player - i just think that a club with a billionaire owner, an ambitous manager and the clubs obvious potential could do better.

What like Liverpool?!??

Crouch = Ameobi but a few more goals.

Crouch???

FFS!

seconded

Baggio is a complete pragmatist though.