Russia v England (4 o'clock kick off)

RlCO

Good luck to Scotland mind you. I would be happy to get behind the Jocks come next summer so I hope they qualify....though that looks equally unlikely now I'm afraid.

No chance, I hope they lose and lose badly. They hate us with a passion and there's no way on this planet I'd want them to do well - my sister-in-law's a jock and she typified their attitude for me when she purposefully went out and bought an Argentina shirt when we played the dirty South Americans in the last competative match we had with them. It's nice to have the other 'home' nations in tournaments with us but I'd never support them.

Yeah I accept all that tbh (although your sister-in-law sounds like a turbo cunt and needs a kick in the minge)....I'd say about 90% have the attitude you've described. I'm not that arsed though, I'd get behind them cos they're British and theyre underdogs at the end of the day....and if I want an angle in a game that I have no really stake in then I usually cheer for the underdog.

I'd have to agree :lol:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye the Brazil 94 side played shit football compared to their forebears tbh but it was a necessary evil I spose from their point of view as it seemed they were just sick of the underachievement of the previous 24 years and had decided the approach was justified. Epitomised by leaving 16 year old Ronaldo on the bench....you could have seen a previous Brazil team using him.

I hated Dungha in particular and was actually shouting for Italy in the final.

Bulgaria were my faves from that WC.

Anyone remember John Aldridge and Maurice Setters spazzing out at intervals in the heat for ROI? :lol:

Ironically the Argies were far more 'Brazil-like' in '94. And their going out in the last 16 suggests that style of play was/is anachronistic.

Aye the Brazil 94 side played shit football compared to their forebears tbh but it was a necessary evil I spose from their point of view as it seemed they were just sick of the underachievement of the previous 24 years and had decided the approach was justified. Epitomised by leaving 16 year old Ronaldo on the bench....you could have seen a previous Brazil team using him.

I hated Dungha in particular and was actually shouting for Italy in the final.

Bulgaria were my faves from that WC.

Anyone remember John Aldridge and Maurice Setters spazzing out at intervals in the heat for ROI? :lol:

Aldridge told a story about how his Mam gave him a right ticking off when he got home. All you could hear was him shouting 'Fuck off!' to the Fifa official :o

Edited by alex

Speaking of the sweaties and since I'm getting all nostalgic about '82 - remember Neary's goal against Brazil?

Toe-punt City, Arizona tbh.

:lol:

I was indifferent towards '94 until my parents foolishly went on holiday, leaving me to adopt the unhealthy sleep patterns that have stalked me ever since - and, specifically, to be witness to this:

Pure class. :lol: I've always been a sucker for the underdog - I genuinely wasn't sure who I wanted to win out of Cameroon and England in 1990, having fallen in love with the former right from the moment they started drop-kicking the Argies in the opening match - so having the Saudis around was excellent. And then Sweden kicked into gear and my mother's genes took over. Who needs the home nations anyway? :o

I was indifferent towards '94 until my parents foolishly went on holiday, leaving me to adopt the unhealthy sleep patterns that have stalked me ever since - and, specifically, to be witness to this:

Pure class. :lol: I've always been a sucker for the underdog - I genuinely wasn't sure who I wanted to win out of Cameroon and England in 1990, having fallen in love with the former right from the moment they started drop-kicking the Argies in the opening match - so having the Saudis around was excellent. And then Sweden kicked into gear and my mother's genes took over. Who needs the home nations anyway? :o

Did Albert get skinned there??

Speaking of the sweaties and since I'm getting all nostalgic about '82 - remember Neary's goal against Brazil?

Toe-punt City, Arizona tbh.

Never knew Jimmy Hill was a member on here.

The thing is (and I'm not a McLaren fan at all) the press are slaughtering him and if the referee didn't give the penalty (which was outside the box) and/or Robinson didn't make a complete dog's dinner of the save just prior to Russia's second then they'd be saying what a great battling result it was. Feel a bit sorry for Len Fairclough on this occasion.

hope the press hang theclueless muppit out to dry!

After the penalty, did england change formation? Or did they keep plowing in with a weak version of 442.

Personally i hope we dont qualify, as the whole england farce, needs a good shake up.

Yeah the performance wasn't bad so the typical national team syndrome press reaction can be ignored as per usual. That said, the remit was to go there and get a result, so at the same time while it wasnt a bad performance, it wasn't what was required either and thats all that really matters at this level. His gingerness just makes matters worse.

hope the press hang theclueless muppit out to dry!

After the penalty, did england change formation? Or did they keep plowing in with a weak version of 442.

Personally i hope we dont qualify, as the whole england farce, needs a good shake up.

It's a bit like Taylor / USA '94. If he'd been lucky enough to scrape through (if he'd had Shearer available more he might well have done) qualification but it would have been a case of 'papering over the cracks'.

Same goes for the '82 French team. I liked Italy in the final though :lol:

I have particularly fond memories of Platini and Poland's Boniek from that competition (Juve team mates too).

The England team under Ron Greenwood were pretty good in 1982 too. Played 5, won 3, drew 2 and only conceded 1 but went out in the daft 2nd group stage they had back then.

France in Euro '84 (another tournament we missed out on) were phenomenal, the midfield of Jean Tigana, Alain Giresse, and Michel Platini was supoib.

The semi against Portugal still rates as one of the best games I've ever seen.

The thing is (and I'm not a McLaren fan at all) the press are slaughtering him and if the referee didn't give the penalty (which was outside the box) and/or Robinson didn't make a complete dog's dinner of the save just prior to Russia's second then they'd be saying what a great battling result it was. Feel a bit sorry for Len Fairclough on this occasion.

Agree with you there like.

I have particularly fond memories of Platini and Poland's Boniek from that competition (Juve team mates too).

The England team under Ron Greenwood were pretty good in 1982 too. Played 5, won 3, drew 2 and only conceded 1 but went out in the daft 2nd group stage they had back then.

France in Euro '84 (another tournament we missed out on) were phenomenal, the midfield of Jean Tigana, Alain Giresse, and Michel Platini was supoib.

Aye, the final was a bit of a let-down against Espana though iirc.

Aye, the final was a bit of a let-down against Espana though iirc.

IIRC because I was too young. :o 1986 Marardona handball is my earliest footy memory.

Regardless, fact is we are on the verge of not qualifying for a major tournement for the first time in 14 years. McClaren deserves all the criticism he gets.