Hamilton - Practice Today

AgentFox

it hurts me that this is classed as a sport...

Grand prix. Dull after the first corner. Fac-uh-tee doo dah

:lol:

Always cracks me up when people make ignorant comments like this..... It's without doubt one of the most physically demand sports going.

Or are you referring to the fact that the outcome is that one of four usually win? Bit like the Premiership really... :o

ok I maybe misspoke, what I should have said was.

it hurts me that this is classed as a spectator sport...

it's watching a couple dozen blokes drives quickly round a track ... for hours on end, and as I said earlier, fuck all of interest happens after the first corner, barring an impressive crash, which is in no way guaranteed nor is it a show of particular ability on the part of the driver, more likely it's a show of momentary inability. Don't give me this shit about "the tactics" or anything either. It's dull!

There's no doubting the danger to the men involved, there's no doubting the technical excellence of the cars, unfortunately that danger and craftmanship is not enough to maintain any sane mans interest. It's akin to the people who watch Fishing on tv, or Daytona, Tractor pulls and Drag races...

arg-race-car-full-url.gif

ad nauseum

Edited by The Fish

Perhaps the spectators of all the aforementioned sports have a memory span longer than a Fish?

to be fair one hour of a couple dozen cars round in a circle looks pretty much the same as any other hour of a couple dozen cars going round in a circle.

as an aside.. are you seriously suggesting that the key to being able to enjoy Daytona, Drag racing and Tractor pulling is memory span? :lol:

ok I maybe misspoke, what I should have said was.
it hurts me that this is classed as a spectator sport...

it's watching a couple dozen blokes drives quickly round a track ... for hours on end, and as I said earlier, fuck all of interest happens after the first corner, barring an impressive crash, which is in no way guaranteed nor is it a show of particular ability on the part of the driver, more likely it's a show of momentary inability. Don't give me this shit about "the tactics" or anything either. It's dull!

There's no doubting the danger to the men involved, there's no doubting the technical excellence of the cars, unfortunately that danger and craftmanship is not enough to maintain any sane mans interest. It's akin to the people who watch Fishing on tv, or Daytona, Tractor pulls and Drag races...

arg-race-car-full-url.gif

ad nauseum

It's dull in the same way some people find football dull and simply '22 blokes chasing a bag of air around on a piece of grass'....

It's not dull, it's just not your bag.

Funny you should bring up the 'technical excellence' because it is exactly that which I think has reduced the spectacle in recent years. Take it back to the 1980s and watch the likes of Mansell, Villeneuve, Senna, Rosberg, Piquet et al wheel banging and ragging the tits off the cars to not only chase down a rival, but pass him too.

As for the comment about impressive crashes, I treat the same people who watch the GP hoping for that as I do rubber-neckers on the motorway.

Perhaps the spectators of all the aforementioned sports have a memory span longer than a Fish?

to be fair one hour of a couple dozen cars round in a circle looks pretty much the same as any other hour of a couple dozen cars going round in a circle.

as an aside.. are you seriously suggesting that the key to being able to enjoy Daytona, Drag racing and Tractor pulling is memory span? :lol:

Nah I was playing on your name. However, for all the sports you mention the interest derives from a little more thought process than 'ooh look at the pretty race cars'. Well maybe not tractor pulling, but the rest have a massive following.

I was listening to Five Live a few weeks back and the discussion was "Is Formula 1 the most exciting sport in the world?". The amount of people who were ringing up saying "I used to think it was boring but this years been brilliant!" only to admit later they'd never really watched it was amazing :lol:

He was fastest in second practice and fifth in first practice.

It's dull in the same way some people find football dull and simply '22 blokes chasing a bag of air around on a piece of grass'....

this would be true if the conclusion of the match was the same every time. There can be a multitude of scores, and a massive variety of paths to that conclusion. Unfortunately to the layman, Formula one looks exactly the same each time that particular track is visited. I'm saying if I saw a clip of a football match I could probably tell you the year, if you saw a clip of a race I doubt the same could be said.

I appreciate that it's still a demanding activity, I just don't understand where you, as a spectator can derive pleasure from it? I can't see the moment of genius invention which results in a goal, the dogged determination to claw back from the pounding you took in the first few rounds to win the bout or the sheer brute power to scrum your opponents back into their own territory. All I see is blokes in cars pushing their car and reactions to their limit and while I can respect their skill, I don't think it's entertaining.

As for the comment about impressive crashes, I treat the same people who watch the GP hoping for that as I do rubber-neckers on the motorway.

to clarify I didn't mean that I hoped for a crash, I meant that which surrounds the crash is dull and so it's a break from the monotony. I say the 1st corner is interesting not for the crashes, but it's the only time in the race where there is a genuine jostle for position and it's the bravery and reactions of each man against the others... if only the other long hours could be filled with something resembling that intensity. Instead the most exciting thing is pit stops... and that's only because (yet again) it's a break from the monotony of the actual race.

Hamilton is supposed to be a right big headed cock although his PR people must be really good as he seems alright when in the media.

Hamilton is immature to the sport (I love the way ITV-F1 keep going on about 'how mature' he is when he's exactly the opposite). The whole carry on in Hungary kicked off because Hamilton was being a spoilt brat and wouldn't follow team orders although Alonso's tit for tat reaction was just as bad.

But he really lost respect from me last time out when there was a possibility he could be penalised for what happened in Japan. His whole "it's soooo not fair" was right out of Kevin & Perry.

He's not mature, he's just a bloody good racing driver in a bloody good car.

this would be true if the conclusion of the match was the same every time. There can be a multitude of scores, and a massive variety of paths to that conclusion. Unfortunately to the layman, Formula one looks exactly the same each time that particular track is visited. I'm saying if I saw a clip of a football match I could probably tell you the year, if you saw a clip of a race I doubt the same could be said.

I appreciate that it's still a demanding activity, I just don't understand where you, as a spectator can derive pleasure from it? I can't see the moment of genius invention which results in a goal, the dogged determination to claw back from the pounding you took in the first few rounds to win the bout or the sheer brute power to scrum your opponents back into their own territory. All I see is blokes in cars pushing their car and reactions to their limit and while I can respect their skill, I don't think it's entertaining.

Like I was trying to allude to, each to their own.

You don't see it as much these days but some of the overtaking manoeuvers have to be seen to be believed. Its all down to split second thinking. Incidents which jump to mind are Mansell at Silverstone '87, Hungary '89 & Mexico City '90 and also Hakkinen at Spa '00. Total genius.

I can't see the moment of genius invention

That's the point I think.

I also can't see Unicorns... what's your point?

It's over-taking, sure it's dangerous blah blah blah, but how often does the lead change hands in a race? how often do these moments of genius occur? And in contrast how much of the race is just 20 odd cars going quickly in a circle, one after the other?

I can't see the moment of genius invention

That's the point I think.

I also can't see Unicorns... what's your point?

It's over-taking, sure it's dangerous blah blah blah, but how often does the lead change hands in a race? how often do these moments of genius occur? And in contrast how much of the race is just 20 odd cars going quickly in a circle, one after the other?

Firstly you have to accept the sport involves much more than the race, secondly the lead is not gained just through over-taking, thirdly, if you watched a race right through you would see over-taking, about as often as you see a lead change in 90 minutes of average football I would imagine. Don't get me wrong, there are problems with the sport, but that is true of football too. In the same way you can't reduce a football game to 22 men kicking a ball for 90 minutes, you also can't reduce F1 to 20 cars going round and round for a single race.

As I said before Fish.... F1 isn't your bag so you don't get it and find it boring. But in the same respect you have to accept that others feel the same about football and just because your opinion is different it doesn't make you either right or wrong.

I know you're right in that it's horses for course and all that... but, for example, I don't enjoy watching Tennis.. but I can see why people do. I'm not a fan of test match cricket, but understand it's appeal, I don't fully understand Rugby but get why people like it.

with F1, Moto GP, Rally, Daytona, Drag Racing et al, I cannot fathom the appeal.

but I know I can be disparaging and I come off sounding ignorant AND arrogant at the same time.. so I'll shut up now and offer make a peace offering