Laptop cooler pads

Meenzer

Those gel-filled ones. Anyone know if they're any cop?* Or have any better ideas for keeping a laptop cool, short of balancing it on two or more very narrow objects to ensure a decent airflow underneath it? :razz:

*EDIT: Or even actually necessary/useful, for that matter?

Edited by Meenzer

Those gel-filled ones. Anyone know if they're any cop?* Or have any better ideas for keeping a laptop cool, short of balancing it on two or more very narrow objects to ensure a decent airflow underneath it? :razz:

*EDIT: Or even actually necessary/useful, for that matter?

You can get ones with a couple of 12v fans in that push cool air up under the laptop, which must be better than a passive one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EW-Link-Aluminum-L...7268914-0272657

How effective they are I've no idea (and whether they'd be much better than say propping it up on say 2 books at either end to allow air flow underneath).

You can get ones with a couple of 12v fans in that push cool air up under the laptop, which must be better than a passive one.

How effective they are I've no idea (and whether they'd be much better than say propping it up on say 2 books at either end to allow air flow underneath).

Aye, I've had a look at a few of them and they seem quite... brutalist. Not that a pad full of gel-type stuff is much better really. :razz:

Might use PC World, Currys et al for their intended purpose at some point (i.e. poking at stuff in real life then ordering it for less online).

Cooler pads just sounds so wrong to me. :razz:

I always thought you looked like a man who appreciated a red-hot pad.

I have no idea what that means.

Must have been after I was exposed to some culture being sat next to yourself and Alex at the summer pissup though. B)

Must have been after I was exposed to some culture being sat next to yourself and Alex at the summer pissup though. :D

Hear that Alex man, we're culshural now! B)

Must have been after I was exposed to some culture being sat next to yourself and Alex at the summer pissup though. :angry:

Hear that Alex man, we're culshural now! :D

Although being exposed to your's and Alex's culture could be misconstrued I'm sure! B)

Must have been after I was exposed to some culture being sat next to yourself and Alex at the summer pissup though. :angry:

Hear that Alex man, we're culshural now! B)

:D Oh aye.

Aye, I've had a look at a few of them and they seem quite... brutalist. Not that a pad full of gel-type stuff is much better really. B)

Might use PC World, Currys et al for their intended purpose at some point (i.e. poking at stuff in real life then ordering it for less online).

Aye I just don't think gel pads will really work for anything more than very short term use, no matter the specific heat capacity of the material used, there's a fair old wack of thermal energy being produced and that's got to limit any passive cooling quite quickly (and eventually be worse than nothing at all, I guess).

Much like watercooling systems have moved away from passive systems (as any system like that reaches its limits eventually) to more efficient active systems.

I guess the other option is cutting a hole in your desk and sticking a 5 inch 12v fan underneath or something. :razz:

I guess the other option is cutting a hole in your desk and sticking a 5 inch 12v fan underneath or something. B)

Don't tempt me. :razz:

I assume that, ultimately, laptops must be able to put up with being hot as otherwise there'd have been a fundamental change in their design by now. It just feels like it can't possibly be healthy for them (or one's furniture or lap, but that's a different matter entirely).