*HOOF*

JawD

Seems our new style. I was sitting midway through the first half saying I wish they'd stop just hoofing the ball up to Owen/Martins as they were getting beat in the air every time. It was awful to watch and was getting us nowt.

Then Martins shoved his boot in me gob (or as good as) with his goal from just that.

Second half seemed better like.

So Im wondering, would most like Id say I do, accept the non to pretty football so long as we get the results? Someone once said Newcastle fans would rather see us get beat 4-3 and it be an entertaining game than us win. Well thats bollocks. While its not pretty, at the moment its fairly effective though we've yet to play any of the "top 4".

Id also add on a different note, whats the point of having linesmen if they wont make decisions? The idiot up near the NE corner was constantly looking to the ref before sticking his flag up. Oh, and he also gave us a corner when it was clearly a throw in by about 2ft, we were pissing ourselves laughing at that one. Mind, we got one in return when they deflected one of our shots and the ref gave a GK.

We did play Arsenal and they made us look pretty ordinary.

Have to agree though I was shouting at the telly saying "stop hoofing it up man!"

It does work every now and then but is a little depressing to see multiple failed attempts, especially when we have a fairly skillful midfield.

If this gets us results or even better a trophy then no complaints....ultimately though we all know how much we loved our Entertainers, and perhaps betting the basics right will give us the opportunity to build more flair into the team.

I personally only thought the hoofing was when we were under pressure. We were fannying about with it too much at the back because we were trying not to go long with it as it would come right back at us with the two squirts up front. I also thought we'd end up conceding due to the short passing out of defence.

The most refreshing thing for me, was what had been a pet peeve of mine. Newcast'e set-pieces over he last 5 seasons. We've finally been practicing things on the training ground. The throw in's were well rehearsed, the corners(whilst not always accurate), seemed well drilled and we used Faye/Cacapa well.

.................ultimately though we all know how much we loved our Entertainers, ...........

Yes we did, but ultimately it was because we were winning games as well as being 'Entertainers', I don't think we would have been too happy if the 'Entertainers' were losing too many games games.

It's all about winning and gaining points, there has never been any joy in losing, even if they play brilliantly.

I remember that under Ossie Ardilles' guidence we were playing some good football but losing too many games, not a happy situation.

I'm hoping its more to do with the players being a bit unfamiliar with each other - I didn't think the centre-halves were bad, but Beye and Enrique were probably the biggest culprits (though the first goal came from one).

I hope a bit of gelling will mean a more measured approach.

I don't think it's anything to do with the players being unfamiliar. We're just being turned into Bolton

Statistical analysis shows that for most clubs playing well all over the field influences the number of shots on target. For Bolton this is not true. Only the number of shot assists and good crosses appears to have had an influence. For most teams, if they increased the number of good passes in a match, it was a real help. For Bolton it made no difference. This suggests strongly that Allardyce employed a more direct style of play, with much less fannying about with the ball.

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?showtopic=16528

Get into Europe and I won't complain.

But it's not just on the field. The huge Sports Direct boards around the stadium are tacky as fuck. They belong in the JJB. St James' Park was lush and they're making it ugly. They'll change the seat colours to incorporate crappy sentiments and pound shop adverts next.

:razz:

I think Obagol was right about your being a snob HF :razz:

:D

B) Someone is in a bad mood today.

It was meant to be a hoyty toyty smiley to ridicule my own snobish view. Not indignation or owt.

But the stadium is getting uglier....started so well with the animated boards and discreet clocks.

Some of the hoofing last night was as accurate as some of the passing along the floor - shocking at times tbh.

I guess that mythical (and still needed) quality creative/attacking midfielder is the difference between a "hoof" and a game changing "long pass".

Take a look at the 'hoof' to Martins for the goal, what would everyone else want to happen? Either Martins comes deep and gets closed down, or we wait while we advanced up the pitch (there were no other players further forward to pass to) and give the Spuds defence time to regroup. I'd rather we kept hammering away at them while we are in the lead, as HF said above, more passing <> more attempts.

The most refreshing thing for me, was what had been a pet peeve of mine. Newcast'e set-pieces over he last 5 seasons. We've finally been practicing things on the training ground. The throw in's were well rehearsed, the corners(whilst not always accurate), seemed well drilled and we used Faye/Cacapa well.

Couldn't agree more - boils my piss when we couldn't muster a decent set piece

We actually seem a threat now from corners

Edited by 3bitbob

Was thinking exactly the same and yes, then Martins scored.

What is frustrating, we have the players not to play like that.

Martin was doing my fucking head in though, no first touch and lacked any enthuisasm at all.

Some of the hoofing last night was as accurate as some of the passing along the floor - shocking at times tbh.

I guess that mythical (and still needed) quality creative/attacking midfielder is the difference between a "hoof" and a game changing "long pass".

We're on the verge of becoming a goodish-hard-to-beat side. The def frailities have been pretty much addressed and I am beginning to fancy us against most sides in the PL home or away. Workmanlike football can sometimes get results especially if the opposition is miles better ie 'the big four', and a big dose or organisation can chip away at the percentages of things going wrong being cut to a minimum.

SA is building the base of the side pretty much around the Bolton mould but with the advantage of having some better players and with the oppurtunity to get more 'quality players' into the club at some point.

For me successful sides like Chelsea and Liverpool have gone more defensive and 'mix it up' a lot more with long passes etc than people notice especially as winning is the key motivation for the respective managers (but in Mourinho's case just winning wasn't enough)....It will be the same with us, at some point just winning more games won't be enough and people will want more football.

We're on the verge of becoming a goodish-hard-to-beat side. The def frailities have been pretty much addressed and I am beginning to fancy us against most sides in the PL home or away. Workmanlike football can sometimes get results especially if the opposition is miles better ie 'the big four', and a big dose or organisation can chip away at the percentages of things going wrong being cut to a minimum.

SA is building the base of the side pretty much around the Bolton mould but with the advantage of having some better players and with the oppurtunity to get more 'quality players' into the club at some point.

For me successful sides like Chelsea and Liverpool have gone more defensive and 'mix it up' a lot more with long passes etc than people notice especially as winning is the key motivation for the respective managers (but in Mourinho's case just winning wasn't enough)....It will be the same with us, at some point just winning more games won't be enough and people will want more football.

Aye, but the inclusion of a midfielder that could regularly deliver a quality long pass (rather than a hoof) wouldn't have actually changed last nights team at all really.

And if we're relying on that more and more then the need is almost greater than ever (not necessarily to unlock oppositions defence with amazing skill or vision, but just to play percentages and get more long balls accurately into danger areas) .