iPhone

ghoulert

Apple announces cheaper 3G iPhone

Apple has unveiled a second generation of its iPhone, with support for faster 3G wireless networks.

The company is hoping to boost its share of the smartphone market, which is dominated by Nokia and Blackberry.

The new devices were launched by Apple boss Steve Jobs who said the phone would be "more affordable" for consumers, starting at $199 (£100).

The new iPhone also comes with GPS satellite navigation built in for location-based services.

The iPhone was first launched last year and was criticised for its support for slower 2G networks only.

Mr Jobs said the 3G iPhone was "three times faster" downloading content over a mobile network compared to the original device.

Analyst John Delaney, research director for consumer mobile at IDC, said the iPhone 3G was disappointing.

"To me it's more about what they didn't say, than what they did. Everyone knew it would be 3G and have GPS."

Apple has a 20% share of the US smart phone market, but only 5% worldwide.

Rival handset manufacturers have also been designing devices which assume the iPhone's mantle as the "most desirable phone on the market", including Nokia's N96 and the Blackberry Thunder.

Google's Android platform will also hit mobile phones later this year, adding yet more competition to the high-end consumer smartphone market.

Apple has sold more than six million iPhones since the device debuted in the US in June last year and the firm says it is on course to sell 10m iPhones by the end of 2008.

Mr Jobs said the cost of the original iPhone was the "number one reason" that people had not bought one of the devices.

Mr Jobs said "The iPhone started at $599. It now sells at $399; We want to make it even more affordable."

The cheapest 8GB iPhone 3G will sell for $199, while a second model with 16GB of storage will sell for $299.

Mr Jobs pledged that the $199 price would be the same across many countries.

The new iPhones will be launched on 11 July in 22 countries.

Mr Delaney said: "The fact it's cheaper is interesting. But how is it going to be cheaper?

"If Apple is doing it by cutting the retail price it will drastically hit their margins, if they sell volume.

"If the lower price is through operator subsidy, they are becoming a bit more humble. But that's not clear at this stage.

"Either way, they are going for volume. But they have got a big mountain to climb outside of the US."

They are on about allowing mobile companies to subsidise it too now.

God bless those who couldn't wait and just HAD to have one when they were first released. Half the price and now 3G? They must be fucking fuming! :icon_lol:

Worth having a read of the 'have your say' comments on the BBC News site - the bloke from Texas cracks me up!

God bless those who couldn't wait and just HAD to have one when they were first released. Half the price and now 3G? They must be fucking fuming! :icon_lol:

Worth having a read of the 'have your say' comments on the BBC News site - the bloke from Texas cracks me up!

??

This is absolutely disgusting, I had to dish out about $399 for the iPhone 1.0. I got a sub-par phone which incidentally I had to replace two times because of quality control issues at Apple. Now they release a 3G version that is substantially cheaper, I am more anti-Apple than ever.

Sherif Kadry, Houston, TX

??

This is absolutely disgusting, I had to dish out about $399 for the iPhone 1.0. I got a sub-par phone which incidentally I had to replace two times because of quality control issues at Apple. Now they release a 3G version that is substantially cheaper, I am more anti-Apple than ever.

Oh aye, he just had to have it. It was clear from the outset that the price was aimed at those who put style over substance and bought into the hype.

??

Aye, that's the one - so 'anti-Apple' that he just HAD to fork out the best part of $400 for a phone that couldn't achieve half of what those on the market at a quarter of the price could...

What a tit!

I got the LG Prada the other day, good little phone like.

Did you enjoy Sex in the city the movie also?

:icon_lol:

LG's are shite.

Edited by Besty