Being let go

Walliver

I've just been told that my contract is not going to be extended, meaning that by the end of November I'll have no job. My boss says he would have liked to keep me on but it was down to budgeting more than anything. He reckons if anything comes up I'd be first in line for it.

Basically, I have five weeks left. I want to get a decent reference so I'm not going to mess around and do nothing. Should I just work my arse off to make it as hard as possible for my successor (who was also my predecessor) to come back to his job or should I just keep things as they are, which is already a higher workload than I started with, and concentrate my spare time on getting myself sorted elsewhere?

:D

More the latter than the former I reckon. Unless you think there's a realistic possibility of showing your successor up so badly that they'd get rid of him and offer you his job in return? Sounds unlikely when it's put like that, but companies and bosses are strange. :D Otherwise, I'd say keep it up as best you can under the circumstances to make sure you get a decent reference and plenty of goodwill, but there's no need to be shy about looking around for other stuff in the meantime. They're the ones letting you go, after all.

More the latter than the former I reckon. Unless you think there's a realistic possibility of showing your successor up so badly that they'd get rid of him and offer you his job in return? Sounds unlikely when it's put like that, but companies and bosses are strange. :D Otherwise, I'd say keep it up as best you can under the circumstances to make sure you get a decent reference and plenty of goodwill, but there's no need to be shy about looking around for other stuff in the meantime. They're the ones letting you go, after all.

What kind of work were you in/what do you do

I've just been told that my contract is not going to be extended, meaning that by the end of November I'll have no job. My boss says he would have liked to keep me on but it was down to budgeting more than anything. He reckons if anything comes up I'd be first in line for it.

Basically, I have five weeks left. I want to get a decent reference so I'm not going to mess around and do nothing. Should I just work my arse off to make it as hard as possible for my successor (who was also my predecessor) to come back to his job or should I just keep things as they are, which is already a higher workload than I started with, and concentrate my spare time on getting myself sorted elsewhere?

:D

Definitely the latter imo.

I'm a journalist/trying to become a journalist. I've got plenty of experience doing freelance stuff for people whilst at uni but this was my first proper job. You got anything for me?

Get straight on the sick if you get payed. I thought it was illegal to give bad references and if your gaffa appreciates you that much he'll realise why your taking the piss and it's nowt against him personally just 'budget restraints'.

Remember you'll only ever be a number unless you work for yourself.

My mothers just found out the hard way, 20 years of service in a small comapny and her gaffa, 'who was a smashing bloke' sold out under her nose and didn't even bother his arse to tell her, she found out from the delivery bloke. Then had the cheek to fuck off on a 2 month holiday so he couldn't be contacted the cowardly bastard.

Take note Walliver, it's dog eat dog out there.

It may be illegal to give a bad reference, but surely there's a decent difference between having a standard-issue "he fulfilled his duties satisfactorily" and an actively good reference from your first post-uni job?

It may be illegal to give a bad reference, but surely there's a decent difference between having a standard-issue "he fulfilled his duties satisfactorily" and an actively good reference from your first post-uni job?

Do employers bother their arse these days to actually make an effort with people's references. Anyway he'll be on the sick, can't hold that against him...shirley

Let your work pile up and up and hide it away from people then when this bloke returns to his job he'll have it all to do, that's what Wacky did when he left my place!

I wasn't there to hide it tbh :D

You were it was just your head didn't get above the desk for anyone to realise you were in! Is that why you got to sit on the captains table for so long, cos you could fit under the desk at groin height without being noticed!

Let your work pile up and up and hide it away from people then when this bloke returns to his job he'll have it all to do, that's what Wacky did when he left my place!

I wasn't there to hide it tbh :D

You were it was just your head didn't get above the desk for anyone to realise you were in! Is that why you got to sit on the captains table for so long, cos you could fit under the desk at groin height without being noticed!

I was sat at the captains table because I was shit hot at everything - fact. Funny how I was last in but seen you and pressy off within months of starting :razz:

It's not hard to see that wonky-cocked goon off, as for me I left under my own accord and was welcomed back with open arms when my secondment came to an end.

Think the exact words were, "So glad you are back with us, we'd just about had it up to here (points to the spot on their knee height Wacky reached) with that lazy Byker bamp!"

That's pretty much what I did. Although tbh by the time I knew I was leaving, there was such a build-up of work that there was no way I would have got through it even if I'd wanted to. Spoke to a lad from my old job today and he reckons the fat cow that took over from me is STILL complaining about all the shite I left for her. :D

Was told that our team face redundancy, since then I've worked my arse off because I'm in the fortunate position where I can work directly for an adviser and do his mortgages for him. Now it seems none of our team will face redundancy but we've all sorted ourselves out enough that, really, we'd be better off leaving that role and doing something else.

my point is that you can't be upset about this, see it as a chance to work somewhere new, do something different.

More the latter than the former I reckon. Unless you think there's a realistic possibility of showing your successor up so badly that they'd get rid of him and offer you his job in return? Sounds unlikely when it's put like that, but companies and bosses are strange. :razz: Otherwise, I'd say keep it up as best you can under the circumstances to make sure you get a decent reference and plenty of goodwill, but there's no need to be shy about looking around for other stuff in the meantime. They're the ones letting you go, after all.

I'm a journalist/trying to become a journalist. I've got plenty of experience doing freelance stuff for people whilst at uni but this was my first proper job. You got anything for me?

Maybe your boss would have made a different decision had you written outside of work, say for a supporters site? :D