Football Magazines

Glasgow Mag

I started off reading Match! when I was about 10, and it came out every Tuesday costing 50p. I used to rush to the newsagent after school on a Tuesday to get hold of my new copy. I used to like 'Match Facts'. I hated bank holiday Mondays as this meant that the issue didn't hit the shops until a Wednesday. Soon, I started buying Shoot! too, but preferred Match!. Occasionally I would buy 90 Minutes (the more mature alternative?).

When I was about 15 I started buying monthlys like Match of The Day and Goal (both quality reads). Then I got a subscription to Goal and Total Football. I occasionally bought FourFourTwo, then MOTD ceased to be, and Goal and total Football seemed to be taken over by FourFourTwo. I stopped reading Match! and Shoot! when I was about 16, after I had grown out of them. Sometimes I read Total Sport, until it too stopped. These days I only read FourFourTwo, which I subscribe to.

Would very rarely buy football magazines as a kid, but started to buy "90 Minutes" back in the early 90's, then when that finished I went on to FourFourTwo, but I find that dull as fuck now, so I've moved on to World Soccer, that is the absolute daddy of football magazines.

Never really got into the kiddie-oriented ones, though the cut-out league ladders with the little tabs for each team were great, albeit a right arse-around and you could never be bothered with updating them after about mid-October.

Got into When Saturday Comes at a fairly young age, so I suppose that pretty much shaped my view on footie. Same sort of timeframe for The Mag and, of course, the legendary Half Mag Half Biscuit, if fanzines count.

I used to buy kerrang! for years.

Brilliant mag until they changed editor and the whole mag comletely changed.

i wrote a letter/essay to the new editor telling him his magazine was now shite cos of all the extra adverts(i had counted and averaged them out over a dozen issues) and a load of other things that had changed. I told him i would never buy that shiteous rag again.

Never got a reply :D

I used to buy both Match & Shoot religiously for years....

Also used to buy some little books that were football based story-board stories (a bit like Roy of the Rovers)...

Pretty much the same as Jimbo except I've always thought FourFourTwo was shit. I've been reading World Soccer since I was a bairn too as I used to get it bought for me when we went on holiday for some reason (probably because my Dad wanted to read it too).

Anyone remember those Topical Times hardback football annuals btw? Quality.

Aye... I had the 1986 & 1987 ones :D

Remember in one of them they did a bit on Newcastle playing at Forest with thick snow on the ground and Martin Thomas in goal for us wearing his shorts and not tracky bottoms.... Hard as nails man! :razz:

I only bought Match a couple of times (once specifically for the league ladder mentioned above).

I bought Four four Two from issue one for a few years, but stopped a long time ago.

Remember Black and White, the official club magazine? Is it still going? I bought issue one and no more. Same with the videos. I'd love to see some of those now.

Black and White was fucking awful. Especially the letters page which was basically: "I'm just writing in to let you know how wonderful this magazine is..."

Not sure if it's still going. I still get the Mag and True Faith from time to time.

Didn't one of the Black 'n' White videos have that mate of Philippe Albert's on it who turned up as the chief crook on the Panorama "football bungs" feature? :D

Black and White was fucking awful. Especially the letters page which was basically: "I'm just writing in to let you know how wonderful this magazine is..."

Not sure if it's still going. I still get the Mag and True Faith from time to time.

We use to call it "Mein Kampf" in our house. The letters page was superb like, especially when Dalglish took over and things were starting to go a bit tits up.

'Dear Black and White,

I'm just writing to say I think Kenny is doing a wonderful job. That Des Hamilton looks a hell of a player..etc'

Used to only read World Soccer really, although always got the Shoot annual at christmas. I think I have every one from 86 to about 2000, when I finally pointed out to my parents that I haven't put football posters on my wall for a fair few years..

Edited by sweetleftpeg

Guest stevieintoon

I used to get Match and Shoot delivered to the hoose till I was about 12, then moved on to 90 minutes before they went bust. There was one wank in 90 minutes called Bill Burrows, he used to abuse Newcastle every week. Typical Man City "WWYWYWS" fan, every week he'd abuse us, on the second last page where they used to do their correct scores for the week.

Newcastle 0 Swindon 4

Where were the greatest fans in the world three seasons ago, I went up with City on New Years day and you could've heard a pin drop, oh yeah and they're crap too.

These days I occasionally by Four Four Two if am on a long train journey or something like that and very occasionally World Football. I've stopped buying The Mag because I don't find it interesting. Most of the articles are shite, boring and don't tell me anything I didn't already know. Some of them geuinely haven't got a clue, and the knowledge and awareness of the game is no better than you see on this message board, and truly that is a sad state of affairs.

Some of them geuinely haven't got a clue, and the knowledge and awareness of the game is no better than you see on this message board, and truly that is a sad state of affairs.

Woooooooooooooo

Are you gonna cancel your subscription here too then?

I used to get Match delivered every week but then it got a bit expensive and was taking all my kiddy pocket money up so I stopped it.

I'm now subscribed to FourFourTwo, I really like its content but there are so many adverts in it it gets on my tits. The price is extortionate aswell.