Martins should leave!!!!!!

Sensiemella101

Because Owen is a proven World Class player who has scored goals in the top flight his entire career. He's been 1st choice for England for nearly a decade, he's played for two of the biggest clubs in the world.

Martins is not, has not and equally has not.

Martins has played and scored at the top level as well. Plus he has played for two of the biggest clubs in the world...Inter and Newcastle :D

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Martins was not a bad player at Inter Milan. I remember him thoroughly embarassing Paolo Maldini at the San Siro. He had a pretty good goalscoring record for them even though he was used as a sub most of the times and he played so well that he supplanted Christian Vieri in the starting line up. He also scored some goals in Champion's League for Inter Milan .

Henry was in a free fall at Juventus before Wenger rescued him and brought him to Highbury. He was terrible during his 1st season but the fans at Highbury took him under their wing and he repaid their faith in droves.

I saw quite a few games last year and what I did note was that Newcastle did not play a game to suit his strengths. Martins often had to create his own scoring opportunities. His last 2 goals illustrates that his technique is not poor . A player with poor technique and no imagination will not score the types of goals that Martins scores. I think he is sometimes too anxious to please and that causes him to sometimes snatch at an easy chance or to miscontrol a simple ball or make an errant pass..But the fact of the matter for all his faults his scoring rate matches Owen even though he has had less starts this season

Guest Patrokles

I sincerely can't see fans of any football club taking a player under their collective wing if he has been terrible for an entire season. Pie-in-the-sky.

I'm afraid that's crap.

Drogba Henry and Pires had shown their ability elsewhere and when they did come to this country they had the first touch, but were lacking the physicality. Martins has pace by the bucket, has strength but he lacks the awareness, he lacks the first touch and is not consistent.

I will happily support him, but he is not the footballing God you make him out to be. He is certainly not in the same league as Henry

He is however a much better player than Drogba was at 23 =)

I sincerely can't see fans of any football club taking a player under their collective wing if he has been terrible for an entire season. Pie-in-the-sky.

I find it ridiculous how people have a go at Martins after scoring the type of goals he did last year for the type of team he played for: relegation form, no creativity, no leadership, no tactics SHITE that we were under Roeder.

He starts this season by scoring 4 and setting up one and showing signs of improvement in his overall team-play and still people have a go. ENCOURAGE THE LAD FFS!

I find it ridiculous how people have a go at Martins after scoring the type of goals he did last year for the type of team he played for: relegation form, no creativity, no leadership, no tactics SHITE that we were under Roeder.

He starts this season by scoring 4 and setting up one and showing signs of improvement in his overall team-play and still people have a go. ENCOURAGE THE LAD FFS!

Says it all.

Guest Patrokles

I was referring to the post above mine re. Henry. :D

You guys will realise what an excellent player Martins is when he leaves. I am tired of u guys taking the mickey out of Martins when he has been excellent for u thus far. The guy has already scored a a few goals this season even though he has not been an automatic starter.

Maetins has weaknesses but I don't think that they are as bad as u guys make it out to be. A lot of top players have weaknesses that are disguised by the quality of the teammates they have around them. I saw a lot of the games where Martins was criticised and I found a lot of the criticism to be unfair.

:D

I have a lot of respect for Owen as a striker .He is a fox in the box but does not have an all round game and is not going to develop one anytime soon.

Martins on the other hand has the potential to develop an incredible allround game and to exceed Owen in each and every department. What he needs is for the right manager to bring it out of him. I ama conoussier of football and some of the goals that Martins scores takes ur breath away. His goals have the mark of genius!!!!

Yet many here despite the evidence of being put in their face ever so often refuse to realise his potential and trot out the same old excuses that he has a poor first touch ,does not do enough off the ball etc... But they fail to realise that the same was said Of Drogba, Henry and Pires during their 1st few seasons in the Premier League but the fans stood behind their players and it paid off in droves .

You see, you can't be taken seriously on the topic, because you've built the bloke up into something he is clearly not. How is he going to develop an "incredible allround game and to exceed Owen in each and every department" when at 23 (aye right), he can't even control the fucking ball better than 2 times out of 5. Owen at 18 was a better player than Martins is now (however old that might be).

Please don't use phrases like "the mark of genius" when referring to players like Obafemi Martins. Christ almighty, how low have the standards for the word "genius" fallen? Him kick ball good. Him genius. The comparison to Drogba and Henry is ludicrous too.

I have a lot of respect for Owen as a striker .He is a fox in the box but does not have an all round game and is not going to develop one anytime soon.

Martins on the other hand has the potential to develop an incredible allround game and to exceed Owen in each and every department. What he needs is for the right manager to bring it out of him. I ama conoussier of football and some of the goals that Martins scores takes ur breath away. His goals have the mark of genius!!!!

Yet many here despite the evidence of being put in their face ever so often refuse to realise his potential and trot out the same old excuses that he has a poor first touch ,does not do enough off the ball etc... But they fail to realise that the same was said Of Drogba, Henry and Pires during their 1st few seasons in the Premier League but the fans stood behind their players and it paid off in droves .

You see, you can't be taken seriously on the topic, because you've built the bloke up into something he is clearly not. How is he going to develop an "incredible allround game and to exceed Owen in each and every department" when at 23 (aye right), he can't even control the fucking ball better than 2 times out of 5. Owen at 18 was a better player than Martins is now (however old that might be).

Please don't use phrases like "the mark of genius" when referring to players like Obafemi Martins. Christ almighty, how low have the standards for the word "genius" fallen? Him kick ball good. Him genius. The comparison to Drogba and Henry is ludicrous too.

:D:razz:

Gemmill's just bringing the 'racist' accusations on himself now!

You guys will realise what an excellent player Martins is when he leaves. I am tired of u guys taking the mickey out of Martins when he has been excellent for u thus far. The guy has already scored a a few goals this season even though he has not been an automatic starter.

Maetins has weaknesses but I don't think that they are as bad as u guys make it out to be. A lot of top players have weaknesses that are disguised by the quality of the teammates they have around them. I saw a lot of the games where Martins was criticised and I found a lot of the criticism to be unfair.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/ is the place you're looking for.

Remember, Drogba at 23 had an Ameobi-like scoring record and was not playing top flight football for Le Mans. Didn't become the Drogba that we all know over-night =/

Edited by bassplayerjj

Remember, Drogba at 23 had an Ameobi-like scoring record and was not playing top flight football for Le Mans. Didn't become the Drogba that we all know over-night =/

Shhhhhhhh. Players cant improve! FACT ! :D

Edited by Holden McGroin

Can I just tell you where I am on this...[/Dragons Den]

To say Martins is a better player than Owen is grounds for a collective slap off the world football community. He quite simply isn't, even David Blunkett could see that.

Martins first touch is piss poor and yes, he can score the spectacular but he has a real problem when it comes to putting the ball in the net from the simplest of positions.

Saying that it does seem this season that he has began to use his pace better and is making runs off the ball, whereas last season he had to have it placed at his feet before he could go steaming off down the pitch.

I'm resigned to the fact his first touch is always going to be poor but when he manages to sort out his finishing he could be a very good forward for us. If he was currently playing for Arsenal or Chelsea his first touch wouldn't be a problem because they can afford to give the ball away. They have the players who can win the ball back. Until we get to that level it's always going to be a massive issue.

If someone came in with £13mill+ I'd snap there hands off then go out and buy someone like Berbatov who I could see carving out a brilliant partnership with Owen.

Very few players make that sort of drastic improvement. FACT! It's like saying Souness should have had 5 years to sort the team out because that's how long Alex Ferguson needed at Man Utd.

Very few players make that sort of drastic improvement. FACT! It's like saying Souness should have had 5 years to sort the team out because that's how long Alex Ferguson needed at Man Utd.

Gemmill would agree.

He's barely played for us, and every time he has he's either injured or recovering from one.

Exactly! It's not good is it? :D

As far as Martins goes when he stops scoring goals then get rid but at the moment I don't think anyone can complain about him

• He always tries

• He's scoring goals

• It's his second season in the PL

• He's one of our few players with pace

• He seems happy here

• Give him a break and pick on Ameobi :razz:

Gemmill would agree.

It's not a judgement on Martins, it's more that the Drogba comparison is meaningless.

To say Martins is a better player than Owen is grounds for a collective slap off the world football community. He quite simply isn't, even David Blunkett could see that.

Martins first touch is piss poor and yes, he can score the spectacular but he has a real problem when it comes to putting the ball in the net from the simplest of positions.

Saying that it does seem this season that he has began to use his pace better and is making runs off the ball, whereas last season he had to have it placed at his feet before he could go steaming off down the pitch.

I'm resigned to the fact his first touch is always going to be poor but when he manages to sort out his finishing he could be a very good forward for us. If he was currently playing for Arsenal or Chelsea his first touch wouldn't be a problem because they can afford to give the ball away. They have the players who can win the ball back. Until we get to that level it's always going to be a massive issue.

If someone came in with £13mill+ I'd snap there hands off then go out and buy someone like Berbatov who I could see carving out a brilliant partnership with Owen.

Sort out his finishing????

He hits the ball harder and more accurate with both his feet than any one of our other players. Until his 'poor' finishing is costing us games I don't think anyone has got a leg to stand on slagging him wise.

Excellent post tbf.

Excellent post tbf.

My only concern would be the lack of pace in the side, were that to happen.

Owen's status as being world class depends on how he comes back to fitness. Watching him closely on Monday night, I was really impressed with his movement, passing and vision. He has always had the knack of being in the right place at the right time - something that makes a striker world class imo. As I said, it all depends on his fitness on whether he remains world class - I (we) can only hope he gets fitter and stronger as each game passes.

As for Martins - he's an enigma that I just love to watch tbh. He's a bit like Lua Lua but with goals, which is what matters at the end of the day.

Keep both as long as possible.