Barton happy to bide his time

bawan

Joey Barton insists he does not expect to be thrust into Newcastle United's starting XI after his return to full fitness.

The abrasive midfielder finally made his Magpies bow after suffering a metatarsal injury in pre-season when he came on for the final 19 minutes of Monday night's 3-1 Premier League victory over Tottenham Hotspur.

But Barton, signed for £5.8million from Manchester City in the summer, accepts that with the Magpies having enjoyed back-to-back victories he will have no complaints if manager Sam Allardyce elects to stick with a winning formula.

Saturday's trip to Reading is next on the agenda for the Toon Army and Barton would prefer to see the team claim all three points over his own personal ambitions.

He told Sky Sports News: "Obviously, it's a winning side and it's going to be tough to get into a winning side.

"I think it's important that we keep winning. It's not about Joey Barton, it's about Newcastle United Football Club, and if I have to bide my time for four, five, six games and the team is winning, then so be it.

"I won't be frustrated, I'll sit there and wait for the opportunity, and if the team goes unbeaten all season, then I'll be very unlucky! I'll just have to take it on the chin.

"Football these days is a squad game and I'm part of a squad here.

"It's very important for me to be part of a successful squad and if that means me sitting on the bench when the team's winning, then so be it."