West Ham chairman: US 'should host Premier matches'

Bombadil

Aye, some of the NFL players over here at the minute are fantastic ambassadors for their country and their sport. :D

NFL Star: Londoners Speak English?

Updated: 14:09, Friday October 26, 2007

Miami Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder has admitted not knowing people speak English in London.

The NFL player might want to check a map to see where he's playing Sunday's prestige game against the New York Giants at Wembley Stadium.

Crowder, who comes from Atlanta in Georgia, may be praised on the field, but confessed geography was not his strong point.

He admitted he did not know until now where London was - or that Londoners spoke English.

"I couldn't find London on a map if they didn't have the names of the countries," he said.

"I swear to God. I don't know what nothing is. I know Italy looks like a boot. I learned that."

Crowder added: "I know (Washington Redskins linebacker) London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him.

"That's the closest thing I know to London. He's black, so I'm sure he's not from London. I'm sure that's a coincidental name."

The Miami Dolphins play the New York Giants at Wembley this Sunday in the first NFL regular-season game to be played outside the United States.

Edited by ewerk

Aye, some of the NFL players over here at the minute are fantastic ambassadors for their country and their sport. :D

NFL Star: Londoners Speak English?

Updated: 14:09, Friday October 26, 2007

Miami Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder has admitted not knowing people speak English in London.

The NFL player might want to check a map to see where he's playing Sunday's prestige game against the New York Giants at Wembley Stadium.

Crowder, who comes from Atlanta in Georgia, may be praised on the field, but confessed geography was not his strong point.

He admitted he did not know until now where London was - or that Londoners spoke English.

"I couldn't find London on a map if they didn't have the names of the countries," he said.

"I swear to God. I don't know what nothing is. I know Italy looks like a boot. I learned that."

Crowder added: "I know (Washington Redskins linebacker) London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him.

"That's the closest thing I know to London. He's black, so I'm sure he's not from London. I'm sure that's a coincidental name."

The Miami Dolphins play the New York Giants at Wembley this Sunday in the first NFL regular-season game to be played outside the United States.

What coach let this moron get near a microphone? Christ! "He's black, so I'm sure he's not from London." :razz:

West Ham non-executive chairman Eggert Magnusson says the Premier League should consider switching games to the USA to boost its global profile.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...rem/7063261.stm

What a load of rubbish!

Why exactly is it a stupid idea?

You are either after a bite, or phenomenally retarded. Either way, I am not wasting my time arguing with you.

West Ham non-executive chairman Eggert Magnusson says the Premier League should consider switching games to the USA to boost its global profile.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...rem/7063261.stm

What a load of rubbish!

Why exactly is it a stupid idea?

You are either after a bite, or phenomenally retarded. Either way, I am not wasting my time arguing with you.

So are the NFL retarded then? Full house at Wembley for a regular season game and probably gaining a few extra thousand fans in the long term. What a ridiculous idea!

I would be far from happy if they took a home game off us to play in front of some clueless yanks.

Well if they don't do it we have to suffer the cluelessness of acrossthepond forever more.

On a serious note that's a pretty narrow minded view. How many American based fans do you think we have that have never even seen a home game? Why do you think most PL teams do pre-season tours of far away places nowadays?

I would be far from happy if they took a home game off us to play in front of some clueless yanks.

Well if they don't do it we have to suffer the cluelessness of acrossthepond forever more.

On a serious note that's a pretty narrow minded view. How many American based fans do you think we have that have never even seen a home game? Why do you think most PL teams do pre-season tours of far away places nowadays?

Because they won't be playing their league fixtures there.

To be fair it's a decent idea on the whole... just not for Newcastle! :D

Because they won't be playing their league fixtures there.

To be fair it's a decent idea on the whole... just not for Newcastle! :D

Well of all the more famous teams they could choose from you'd think we'd be flattered. Then again there's plenty that think 52,000 fans is the be all and end all of football.

Can't believe people saying it's a decent idea. I get fucked off with lunchtime kickoffs and Monday night kickoffs, never mind matches played 3,000 miles away in a different timezone. It's a fucking dreadful idea - if yanks want to watch Premiership football, they know where to find it.

Can't believe people saying it's a decent idea. I get fucked off with lunchtime kickoffs and Monday night kickoffs, never mind matches played 3,000 miles away in a different timezone. It's a fucking dreadful idea - if yanks want to watch Premiership football, they know where to find it.

The point being they probably aren't even aware of it, and those that have have a distorted view due to the Bekham saga. I heard an LA Galaxy match referred by yanks the other day as 'pub football'. It's about raising the League's profile, it's not as if it will become a regular thing.

The point being they probably aren't even aware of it, and those that have have a distorted view due to the Bekham saga. I heard an LA Galaxy match referred by yanks the other day as 'pub football'. It's about raising the League's profile, it's not as if it will become a regular thing.

I'm not interested in raising the league's profile though. I don't care how popular we are in other countries - the Premier League is plenty popular enough around the world without going and playing games in other countries though.

I'm not interested in raising the league's profile though. I don't care how popular we are in other countries - the Premier League is plenty popular enough around the world without going and playing games in other countries though.

I doubt the PL will care what Toon fans think when deciding to do something that will no doubt increase their revenues.

There was a time that people said televised football in this country wouldn't succeed due to lack of interest, I think the thousands of fans away from the Toon will have been glad of the decision to do it anyway.

Sure it might be of aid to some of your powder puff friends in The Bay though. :D

I doubt the PL will care what Toon fans think when deciding to do something that will no doubt increase their revenues.

There was a time that people said televised football in this country wouldn't succeed due to lack of interest, I think the thousands of fans away from the Toon will have been glad of the decision to do it anyway.

I don't imagine they do care what I think. But I still think it's a shit idea. There's a difference between televised a match and moving it 3,000 miles away though. Although I'm sure you can see that and will just plough on with the Devil's Advocate act. :D

I don't imagine they do care what I think. But I still think it's a shit idea. There's a difference between televised a match and moving it 3,000 miles away though. Although I'm sure you can see that and will just plough on with the Devil's Advocate act. :D

Of course I can see that, but it's still bringing the game to people who can't go to the match. Is it even carried on many US networks? Like I said, raise the profile and the money will pour in. Then we can afford DECO :nufc::rolleyes: