Owen set for summer toon talks

Jimbo

Sam Allardyce has admitted Newcastle will sit down with Michael Owen in the summer to discuss his long-term future at the club.

There has been speculation that the England striker's career lies away from St James' Park, with reports of a clause in his contract allowing him to move for £6million.

The existence of such a clause has been ruled out by the club, and Allardyce's first focus is keeping the injury-hit Owen fit and scoring goals for the Magpies.

The former Liverpool striker has made just 17 league starts for Newcastle since his club-record £16million move from Real Madrid in August 2005.

A metatarsal injury ruled Owen out for the much of his first season, and his second was wrecked by the cruciate ligament damage sustained on England duty in the 2006 World Cup.

Situation

Allardyce told The Daily Mail: "There is no clause in Michael Owen's contract. There's no way Michael can leave unless we want him to.

"Saying that, if Michael was as determined as some players are when they decide they want to go, that would be a different story.

"But at the moment, we're hoping Michael stays fit and plays continuously for Newcastle from now until the end of the season.

"If he does that, we can have a good look at the situation then."

Eriksson

Owen has already admitted his determination to win over the doubters in the Toon Army by bringing silverware to the club and insists he is not looking to move on.

Former England boss Sven Goran Eriksson has hinted he could be interested in bringing the prolific scorer to Manchester City.

But Allardyce had a blunt warning for his Premier League rival, despite the financial backing Eriksson enjoys under new City owner Thaksin Shinawatra.

He stated: "You probably can't afford him."

Actually this is an important area that he needs to talk about.

Doubt few here mind him being a gobshite, as long as he talks sense!!

He's not saying anything he didn't say a couple of weeks ago. I appreciate there are fans that need continual reminders of the situation due to their inability to remember things for more than a few days, but this is just talking for the sake of it.

Actually this is an important area that he needs to talk about.

Doubt few here mind him being a gobshite, as long as he talks sense!!

He's not saying anything he didn't say a couple of weeks ago. I appreciate there are fans that need continual reminders of the situation due to their inability to remember things for more than a few days, but this is just talking for the sake of it.

:D

So true.

I wonder if he'll accept a 50% wage cut since he's only half as good as he was when we signed him.

Oh but you're not allowed to say that. :D

I didn't realise that sorry.

I'd better not mention that he's only got 2 league goals in 12 games since his knee injury either then.

I wonder if he'll accept a 50% wage cut since he's only half as good as he was when we signed him.

By this logic we only would need a wage budget of 50 quid...

Some players should actually pay for being allowed still to play for the club. Like Mr. "I am only fit for a couple of games a season" Emre.

Before you can really assess what Owen is still worth it has to be seen if he can stay fit over a longer period of time and how he is doing then. Just judging him by his most recent appearances is a bit moronic tbh...