Did you expect brazilian football from BSA?

RlCO

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty shit form away from home, without a doubt. The Roeder comparisons are fairly tenuous though.

BSA is all over the papers bragging about the best start to a season in 10 years. I think it's a valid argument in tempering his own optimistic appraisal of the situation based on a tenuous comparison.

Pretty shit form away from home, without a doubt. The Roeder comparisons are fairly tenuous though.

BSA is all over the papers bragging about the best start to a season in 10 years. I think it's a valid argument in tempering his own optimistic appraisal of the situation based on a tenuous comparison.

It's about the only thing that is comparable between Roeder and Allardyce.

You have to admit you're more confident with this team and this manager than we were at any stage under Roeder. I think this current malaise is due to a disappointing result against Reading on the weekend and less about an overall complaint about the state of the football club.

You have to admit you're more confident with this team and this manager than we were at any stage under Roeder. I think this current malaise is due to a disappointing result against Reading on the weekend and less about an overall complaint about the state of the football club.

It's the same old same old. :D

It's about the only thing that is comparable between Roeder and Allardyce.

In fairness, much as I think Allardyce will do a much better job long term (and has done better in terms of transfers - although Martins was good, Duff was unlucky and Le Sib was a bargain [although a lucky one]).

Roeder had something that was much less his team, and he had stupidly bad injury problems from pretty much this point on last season.

Although a lot depends on how the table develops, last season it was pretty tight from 5th to just out of the bottom 3.

I can't see Allardyce completely losing the dressing room as Roeder had by the end though.

He's only had eleven competetive games so of course it's a knee jerk....but for me it's not just to this game. I didn't want to come on here and write the bloke off previously because people here know i wasn't keen in the first place, you've got to give the bloke a chance. I thought there was a shift in opinion this weekend though, people who normally grumbled under their breath in hope that it would be sorted were shouting with exasperation. The Geordie lack of patience rearing its ugly head again.

Apart from half an hour against Bolton we've not been given any signs that we should feel more confident than at any time under Roeder? Fingers crossed something can be done to placate the impatients among us.

It's not impatient to expect better than we've seen away from home.

I certainly agree with that, especially when you consider that we have a team of players who have played for their country's National team and some approaching that status, and if you compare that against the Derby and Reading squads you have to ask "What the hell is wrong"

Starting line-up at Reading.

Given - Ireland national team.

Beye - Senegal national team.

Cacapa - Brazil national team.

Faye - Senegal national team.

Enrique - Spain under 21 national team.

Emre - Turkey national team.

Butt - England national team.

Barton - England national team.

Geremi - Camaroon national team.

Owen - England - national team.

Martins - Nigeria national team.

Subs;

Smith - England national team.

N'Zogbia - France under 21 national team.

Milner - England under 21 national team.

I doubt very much that Derby or Reading even come close to having the pedigree our team has but they both BEAT US and you have to wonder WHY?

Let's get real here for a second, do we think that the Senegalese, Camaroon or Nigerian national teams could finish 8th in the Premiership? Could even Turkey or Ireland even do that? Perhaps one of the gamers could run a simulation and report back.

I certainly agree with that, especially when you consider that we have a team of players who have played for their country's National team and some approaching that status, and if you compare that against the Derby and Reading squads you have to ask "What the hell is wrong"

Starting line-up at Reading.

Given - Ireland national team. Not impressive

Beye - Senegal national team. Not Impressive

Cacapa - Brazil national team. Tenuous

Faye - Senegal national team. not impressive

Enrique - Spain under 21 national team. True

Emre - Turkey national team. Not Impressive

Butt - England national team. is he shite

Barton - England national team. is he shite

Geremi - Camaroon national team. not impressive

Owen - England - national team. True

Martins - Nigeria national team. True

Subs;

Smith - England national team. True...ish

N'Zogbia - France under 21 national team. True

Milner - England under 21 national team. True

I doubt very much that Derby or Reading even come close to having the pedigree our team has but they both BEAT US and you have to wonder WHY?

You also Forgot Taylor, U21 Captain.

but none of that matters as it's a team that wins titles, not 11 individuals.

You also Forgot Taylor, U21 Captain.

but none of that matters as it's a team that wins titles, not 11 individuals.

No I didn't forget Taylor, he didn't feature in the Reading match.

But I believe it does matter Mr.Fish, I believe that players of this calibre, experience, and pedigree, shouldn't have any problem with performing as a team, after all they came from other teams therefore teamwork is not alien to them. In my opinion they have had more than enough time in games and daily practice sessions to get to know each other and perform a damned sight better as a team than they have been.

Draw with Boro feasable, loss to Man.City acceptable, loss to Derby inexcusable, loss to Reading incomprehensible.

No I didn't forget Taylor, he didn't feature in the Reading match.

But I believe it does matter Mr.Fish, I believe that players of this calibre, experience, and pedigree, shouldn't have any problem with performing as a team, after all they came from other teams therefore teamwork is not alien to them. In my opinion they have had more than enough time in games and daily practice sessions to get to know each other and perform a damned sight better as a team than they have been.

Draw with Boro feasable, loss to Man.City acceptable, loss to Derby inexcusable, loss to Reading incomprehensible.

So Noelie, with your wealth of experience and pedigree, what would you suggest? dissolution of the squad? retire Allardyce after 5 months in charge?

I think this team is still finding it's feet, I think this squad is young enough and determined enough to provide a platform on which we can build success. I don't think Newcastle United is capable of a achieving a rapid and long lasting answer to the problem that's been systemic for the past 15 years or so.

This is a time of rebuilding, but in modern society if the answer doesn't come now and wrapped in a lovely bow people aren't prepared to give it a chance.

All I'm asking for is patience. :D

Fish, I think I'm as patient as most and more sensible than a lot at the match etc. where it's feast or famine with a canny few of the supporters. I totally agree with your calls for patience. We certainly need two full seasons from Allardyce before we can expect to really reap the rewards of his changes. That doesn't mean you can't complain about Derby and Reading away though because those performances were unacceptable even under the circumstances. No one is saying anything drastic needs to be done, just that we should have played better and employed better and more ambitious tactics against those two teams.

Big Sam unsure of best team

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce has admitted he is still unsure of his best starting line-up.

Allardyce has been frustrated by his side's inconsistent form since taking charge at St James' Park over the summer.

He has regularly made changes to his team but concedes he is still searching for the right formula.

"I don't know my strongest 11 just yet, but as each game goes by you get a little closer," he said in the Daily Star.

The Magpies remain unbeaten at home this season but have lost three out of five games on their travels.

Allardyce believes his team must learn to adapt away from home and become harder to break down.

"We've been a dominant force at home and that's encouraging, but my biggest concern is the away form," he explained.

"It's important the players take everything we're telling them on board.

"We need to become more determined to stop the opposition playing."

Seems like Saturdays game has entrenched his view that we need even more stifling football to ensure draws, rather than a move towards creativity to make chances.

Well, that's one way of interpreting it I suppose.

How else could you take it? If he was talking after we'd played Arsenal I'd understand it.

It's already been pointed out that we have a squad of Internationals, and Allardyce is basically saying to them "you aren't good enough to match Reading in a game, so don't worry about going at them, just try and stop them plying their magic out there"

If I were an experienced international player I imagine that would dishearten me.

How else could you take it? If he was talking after we'd played Arsenal I'd understand it.

It's already been pointed out that we have a squad of Internationals, and Allardyce is basically saying to them "you aren't good enough to match Reading in a game, so don't worry about going at them, just try and stop them plying their magic out there"If I were an experienced international player I imagine that would dishearten me.

You see, I don't agree with that being the only interpretation either. I find your downer on Allardyce almost as perplexing as I did your support for Roeder though.

It's already been pointed out that we have a squad of Internationals, and Allardyce is basically saying to them "you aren't good enough to match Reading in a game, so don't worry about going at them, just try and stop them plying their magic out there"If I were an experienced international player I imagine that would dishearten me.

You see, I don't agree with that being the only interpretation either. I find your downer on Allardyce almost as perplexing as I did your support for Roeder though.

I was reiterating the same interpretation. How do you take it?

I was reiterating the same interpretation. How do you take it?

"We need to become more determined to stop the opposition playing."

You can 'stop the opposition' by imposing your game on their's. Plus, whenever you go away from home in the Premier League, stopping the opposition from playing is the priority imo, because no matter who plays who the home team nearly always has a go. I think he wants to start with a solid backline and midfield and then take it from there. It's not a view I necessarily subscribe to against teams like Reading as I pointed out the other day, we don't look like keeping clean sheets so we might as well have a go. I'm guessing that long-term though Allardyce wants us to be more solid and concede less which is what is needed. I think it was a general comment too. I didn't really read that much into it though, I just thought you took one line out of context and put a very (and unnecessarily) negative spin on it.