Gazza's back in Toon

bawan

Paul Gascoigne has revealed he is training with Newcastle's youth Academy as part of his bid to beat alcohol addiction.

In an exclusive interview with Sky Sports News, the former Newcastle and England star explained how he is keeping fit by playing with the club's youngsters and was full of praise for the impact Sam Allardyce has had at St James' Park.

He said: "I've been going and training with the Academy and I've really enjoyed it. I've done my own gym work, but it's nice to kick the ball about. That's what I love doing.

"I still wish I could put my boots on now and again, but I think the old bones and all the injuries are starting to take their toll.

"I think Sam Allardyce did great at Bolton for what he had and he's brought some good staff with him.

"He's making changes at Newcastle and I know that he's put top-class equipment in for the guys and he's definitely going to be given money."

However, Gazza is less impressed with England's efforts to qualify for Euro 2008 and reckons the team were made to pay for defending too deep in the 2-1 defeat to Russia earlier this month.

"I can't understand how we're in the position that we are and I'm sure the lads were really, really disappointed with that result against Russia," he added.

"If you keep defending for so long, then the other team are definitely going to create chances and that's what happened. I could see it coming.

"If they keep defending in their own 18-yard box then teams like Russia can destroy you."

But Gascoigne is not sure whether Steve McClaren should be forced to step down as England boss if the team fails to qualify because he has built a strong camaraderie within the squad.

He said: "I remember watching England train when Sven-Goran Eriksson was manager and Steve McClaren took the training session and looked comfortable around them.

"The players seem to like him and he won't walk away from the job. I think he loves the job."

Glad to hear he's getting better, he could do a job with the academy, he would set the perfect example of how to fuck up your talent and career.

I wouldn't let him near the club's youngsters.

Apparently he is awesome when it comes to football and youngsters.

I heard when he was at Everton ina reserve match, one of the youngsters took a free kick sloppy, so Gazza went and got the ball and placed it back and talked the young 'un through it.

The bloke is messed with alcohol and my first thought was similar with yours Matt, but if he is playing footy and keeping busy, then hoepfully he will stay off the booze.

Saw him fishing on SSN and he seemed O.K. Always thought him to be a good-hearted chap underneath the mental-illness etc, let's hope Rehab out in the states can sort him out once and for all.

Should be nowhere near the club. Did very little for NUFC and has shown the region up.

Edited by bobbyshinton

Saw him fishing on SSN and he seemed O.K. Always thought him to be a good-hearted chap underneath the mental-illness etc, let's hope Rehab out in the states can sort him out once and for all.

Should be nowhere near the club. Did very little for NUFC and has shown the region up.

This is presumably some kind of sanctimonious wind-up?

Granted the man has issues, but he is the most talented England player since god knows when. When he left Newcastle, we were an utter shambles, there is no way he should have stayed with us at that time. As for showing the region up, he may not have made the most of his talent but I for one feel he did the region proud when he was at his best during Italia 90 and Euro 96.

Always have and always will have a soft spot for him.

Me too, he had a talent for brilliance as did George Best but sadly, as with Besty, his talent was frittered away by his off-field behaviour.

Granted the man has issues, but he is the most talented England player since god knows when. When he left Newcastle, we were an utter shambles, there is no way he should have stayed with us at that time. As for showing the region up, he may not have made the most of his talent but I for one feel he did the region proud when he was at his best during Italia 90 and Euro 96.

Can't argue with Billy, hes spot on

Can't argue with Billy, hes spot on

I have some sympathy for him, but no soft spot.

I'm in Shinton's camp on this one.

Always followed his career, love the guys character. He`s like a kid that never grew up but sadly once he was on the slippery slope he couldnt get off and hit rock bottom.

I wish him all the best on his recovery and once he`s sorted I`m sure he can find something in football

The former footballer, who left a rehab centre in Arizona last month where he had been battling his alcohol problems, was in the country to play in a special veterans match.

Gascoigne only managed to play in the last half hour of the game and lost 5-1 to the ageing Italian players.

After the game he was spotted drinking heavily at his hotel bar, and when he arrived at Malta's international airport a supervisor was informed of Gazza's state and told him he could not fly.

Gascoigne complained but then left the airport, reportedly telling people as he left: "'You'll be silly to fly with Air Malta".

It is not clear whether he is still in Malta or whether he has now left. The footballer has not yet commented on the reports.

Gascoigne has been in rehab six times over the last few years to fight his addiction to alcohol and has previously vowed to stop drinking.

On Sunday apparently.