Official: Great Britain team for London 2012

RlCO

R|CO can confirm the IOC have granted approval for a GB team. The only snag being the sweaties have said they are taking no part, and the Welsh and Irish also do not support the plan.

So.....go team England!! :D

I'm not really arsed either way. It's not like we're likely to win it whether it's a UK team or an England team representing the UK. I would be in favour of scrapping the football in the Olympics anyway.

I think it's a good idea (although I never really got things like Football as Olympic sports).

No different to the British Lions really.

Completely different for a number of reasons.

I think it's a good idea (although I never really got things like Football as Olympic sports).

Only one I can think of is it's officially competitive as opposed to unofficially competitive.

Which isn't really a reason. Just accountants and bureaucrats being worried about changing the status quo.

I'm not really arsed either way. It's not like we're likely to win it whether it's a UK team or an England team representing the UK. I would be in favour of scrapping the football in the Olympics anyway.

You've obviously not been lucky enough to experience Ronaldo in his prime and a host of other world class player for the equivilant of 10 quid a ticket Alex if you're calling for the scrapping of football at the olympics.

I've never understood this whole GB team thing. Countries represent themselves at the olympics so why do you guys have this whole GB thing.

Make it amateur again if they want to mix it up.

Only one I can think of is it's officially competitive as opposed to unofficially competitive.

Which isn't really a reason. Just accountants and bureaucrats being worried about changing the status quo.

The Lions isn't just UK - it's UK and Ireland. The Lions are long established. The Lions don't play at home, they play away once every four years. The Lions don't represent a potential threat the the individual Rugby Unions in the way a UK football team might.

I think the Lions matches are officially competitive matches though as they count as Test caps for the players.

You've obviously not been lucky enough to experience Ronaldo in his prime and a host of other world class player for the equivilant of 10 quid a ticket Alex if you're calling for the scrapping of football at the olympics.

I've never understood this whole GB team thing. Countries represent themselves at the olympics so why do you guys have this whole GB thing.

It's more the daft idea of having yet another competition when Fifa, etc. already has so many. The standard of play isn't the problem. It would be woeful if it was amateur imo.

It's more the daft idea of having yet another competition when Fifa, etc. already has so many. The standard of play isn't the problem. It would be woeful if it was amateur imo.

It might be but it might also possibly throw up a few gems of players that slip through the net, case in point is the way African nations always tend to do well.

How about make it masters only, fuck the Olympics is boring enough already Alex without taking the football away.

The Olympics is supposed to represent the pinnacle of achievement for any participant. Thus if a sport already operates a tournament/award of higher prestige than the Olympics then the sport should not be in the games. It's all a bit pointless and devalues the Olympic award.

The Olympics is supposed to represent the pinnacle of achievement for any participant. Thus if a sport already operates a tournament/award of higher prestige than the Olympics then the sport should not be in the games. It's all a bit pointless and devalues the Olympic award.

In a nutshell. Emphasized all the more by the under-23 (plus 3 over-aged players) format.

The Lions isn't just UK - it's UK and Ireland.

What has that got to do with the price of fish?

When the Lions first played they were only drawn from England, Scotland and Wales.

The Lions are long established.

And clearly anything new is BAD.

The Lions don't play at home, they play away once every four years.

Well barring 2012 any GB Olympic football team may never play "at home" again.

The Lions don't represent a potential threat the the individual Rugby Unions in the way a UK football team might.

Again accountants and bureaucrats - nothing to do with SHOULD there be a GB Olympic team, just would they like it (not the fans or the player, just the suits).

I think the Lions matches are officially competitive matches though as they count as Test caps for the players.

Even less of a difference then.

"The first official tour by the British Isles Rugby Union Team, selected by a committee from all four Home Unions, was to South Africa in 1910. But the idea was not a new one, as combined British & Irish teams had been heading for the southern hemisphere since 1888."

That's off the official Lions site btw fop.

"The first official tour by the British Isles Rugby Union Team, selected by a committee from all four Home Unions, was to South Africa in 1910. But the idea was not a new one, as combined British & Irish teams had been heading for the southern hemisphere since 1888."

Yes and those combined teams initially only had the 3 countries mentioned (although at the time Ireland was of course part of the Union anyway).

Still got absolutely nothing to do with NOT having a GB Olympic football team though.

Yes and those combined teams initially only had the 3 countries mentioned (although at the time Ireland was of course part of the Union anyway).

Still got absolutely nothing to do with NOT having a GB Olympic football team though.

Quite, because the GB Olympic Football team would be nothing like the Lions. That was my point.

The problem I see is with Scotland and Wales who apparently want to represent themselves as a country.

That's all very well but as far as I know we have always competed in all sports at the Olympic Games as Great Britain.

I know that in 1908 & 1912 we won Gold as Great Britain and somewhere down the line stopped sending a team.

From my own little memory bank I know we had a Great Britain team in the 1948 London Olympics losing 3-1 to Yugoslavia in the semi-finals.

Inccidently the goalkeeper was a Scotsman who became a hero at St.James' Park, our own Ronnie Simpson(a lot of you won't remember him)

The problem I see is with Scotland and Wales who apparently want to represent themselves as a country.

That's all very well but as far as I know we have always competed in all sports at the Olympic Games as Great Britain.

I know that in 1908 & 1912 we won Gold as Great Britain and somewhere down the line stopped sending a team.

From my own little memory bank I know we had a Great Britain team in the 1948 London Olympics losing 3-1 to Yugoslavia in the semi-finals.

Inccidently the goalkeeper was a Scotsman who became a hero at St.James' Park, our own Ronnie Simpson(a lot of you won't remember him)

We got Gold in 190something. The issue is not them wanting separate participation (you can either enter as GB or not at all is the way I understand it) the supposed issue is their fear of setting a trend, whereby it can be claimed that you compteded once as GB, why can't you do it now (presumably for the Euro's and WC), although FIFA have said this is a non-issue, and I thought the home nations had enough influence in FIFA to block any changes anyway. It's out of order for the FAW/SFA to bar a player from turning out in my opinion (not that any of them are good enough anyway :D ). As it stands it looks like it will be an England team under the GB name, which would just be another nail in the coffin of the Union. Regarding the Lions I thought that all started out as a purely commercial venture, quite different from the Olympic spirit as it was.

We got Gold in 190something. The issue is not them wanting separate participation (you can either enter as GB or not at all is the way I understand it) the supposed issue is their fear of setting a trend, whereby it can be claimed that you compteded once as GB, why can't you do it now (presumably for the Euro's and WC), although FIFA have said this is a non-issue, and I thought the home nations had enough influence in FIFA to block any changes anyway. It's out of order for the FAW/SFA to bar a player from turning out in my opinion (not that any of them are good enough anyway :D ). As it stands it looks like it will be an England team under the GB name, which would just be another nail in the coffin of the Union. Regarding the Lions I thought that all started out as a purely commercial venture, quite different from the Olympic spirit as it was.

Did you write this article?

The Sun (London); Jan 28, 2006; p. 14

ENGLAND are 5-1 favourites to win Euro 2008 following yesterday's draw in Montreux.

Ladbrokes rate the Three Lions ahead of Holland at 6-1 with Italy and Germany 7-1.

With only Croatia, Russia, Israel, Estonia, Macedonia and Andorra to overcome it should be a cakewalk in Group E for the new manager whoever he, or she, may be.

Scotland are a laughable 200-1 to lift the trophy following their draw from hell in Group B while Wales and Northern Ireland are both 250-1 shots.

Ladbrokes' Robin Hutchison said: "It remains to be seen what England will do in this summer's World Cup - but they have what it takes to win Euro 2008.

"Had it not been for Wayne Rooney's injury in Portugal they may well have gone on to win Euro 2004.

"He and the new crop of talented youngsters emerging in the English game will be desperate to make amends."

Reigning champions Greece are 40-1 to repeat their success with beaten finalists Portugal at 16-1.

Ladbrokes make England 4-11 to top their group. To win Euro 2008: England 5-1; Holland 6-1; Italy, Germany 7-1; France, Spain 9-1; Sweden, Czech Republic, Portugal 16-1; Russia, Switzerland, Ukraine 25-1; Denmark 33-1; Greece 40-1; Austria, Croatia, Poland, Turkey, Ireland, Romania 50-1; 66-1 bar.

(Copyright © News Group Newspapers Limited 2006)

"With only Croatia, Russia, Israel, Estonia, Macedonia and Andorra to overcome it should be a cakewalk in Group E for the new manager whoever he, or she, may be."

That's quite hilarious really. :D