Shepherd and Hall banned from St James' Park

Jimbo

Newcastle have banned Freddy Shepherd from St James' Park in an astonishing snub to the club's former chairman.

Billionaire owner Mike Ashley is embroiled in a business wrangle with the Shepherds and ex-vice chairman Douglas Hall after paying £133million to take control of the club.

That has boiled over into the Shepherd family not being welcome at the St James' executive box they own, demonstrated before the win against Tottenham when Freddy's brother Bruce was turned away.

It is understood Douglas Hall, who lives as a tax exile in Spain, is also frozen out. The ruthless break with the club's history has left members of the families who oversaw the 52,000 redevelopment of St James' Park, and the club's revival as a Premier League force, denied the opportunity to sit in the stadium they built.

Shepherd, who banked £37.65m for his 28 per cent stake, has always insisted he wants to remain a supporter when he bowed out. The Halls held 41.6 per cent of the shares and made £55m from Ashley.

Shepherd has spent much of his retirement in Barbados, but his three sons have attended away games to support the team and give backing to Sam Allardyce, the boss they appointed before Ashley's takeover.

A United insider said: "Freddy was away but Bruce wanted to use the box as he usually would.

"But he was told by a club official that it had been closed off.

"It meant Bruce could not get into his VIP seats and he was not very impressed, to say the least.

"Freddy was furious when he found out, but there is nothing he can do about it."

But Douglas's father Sir John, the man whose vision kick-started Toon's Kevin Keegan era, is still thought to be welcome at the ground.

That's fair enough tbh and consistent with the concept of 'ownership' that all parties have reaped the priviliges of at one point or another. Ashley can do as he pleases as it's his toy now.

"Freddy was furious when he found out, but there is nothing he can do about it."

Made me laugh anyway. Crumpy Gunt mentioned this on N-O last week. I can see both sides of the argument tbh.

Made me laugh anyway. Crumpy Gunt mentioned this on N-O last week. I can see both sides of the argument tbh.

Yeah same here and I also know which side I have absolutely no sympathy with regardless of the merits. lols.

But Douglas's father Sir John, the man whose vision kick-started Toon's Kevin Keegan era, is still thought to be welcome at the ground.

Considering he's the club's life president, it'd be hard to ban him wouldn't it.....?

Considering he's the club's life president, it'd be hard to ban him wouldn't it.....?

Big Mike can basically be as capricious as he wants tbh including banning Hall if the mood takes him. Hall would no doubt be entitled to compensation because it would be in breach of some agreement or another but that's another matter. I suppose if he was really stubborn Hall could apply for an injunction preventing a ban pending resolution of the matter, much like Glenn Ponder in episode four of Knowing Me Knowing You with Alan Partridge, after Alan sacked him for not inviting him to the Folies Bergere with the studio guests.

Leazes is writing to M.A. to complain; something about not realising what they did, fifth best club blah blah blah.

Never mind fifth best, more likely THE best gravy train in the Premiership.

Big Mike can basically be as capricious as he wants tbh including banning Hall if the mood takes him. Hall would no doubt be entitled to compensation because it would be in breach of some agreement or another but that's another matter. I suppose if he was really stubborn Hall could apply for an injunction preventing a ban pending resolution of the matter, much like Glenn Ponder in episode four of Knowing Me Knowing You with Alan Partridge, after Alan sacked him for not inviting him to the Folies Bergere with the studio guests.

:D:rolleyes::nufc:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

if this is the wealth of knowledge you draw upon for legal beagle matters.. I worry for your legal career young Samuel miladdio