Heather Mills

Guest stevieintoon

If someone tried to correct my grammar when I was speaking to them I'd think they were an absolute pedantic arsehole.

surely you mean absolutely pedantic arsehole? :lol:

Edited by trophyshy

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

p.s. When did reading challenging books, listening to original music or speaking properly become a bad thing?

It didn't.

Correcting a blokes grammar during a conversation on the other hand :lol:

I'm picturing you as Brian Sewell now.

Come off it, you're truthfully telling me you can sit and listen to someone butcher English without saying something? :lol: Drives me nuts when it gets to that degree. Obviously everybody makes mistakes now and again, but it was an endless stream of awful English.

Anyway, I'd rather be a pedant than wrong.

Having a related argument at work with one of the lads. He was retelling an anecdote, using the worst English known to man. Awful grammar, unnecessary "you know what I mean"s at the end of every sentence etc. etc. etc.

I was polite as possible for as long as possible but I had to say something when he said "... but we was lending this dvd off of this bloke, you know what I mean?"

got into a heated debate with him because he said that there's a difference between speaking improperly and speaking in a Northern dialect. I know that this is true, but he wasn't speaking in a dialect he was just speaking poorly. He said that saying "We had borrowed a dvd from a mate" would make him sound like an idiot.

I know that it's not really my business how anyone speaks, what they watch or who they listen to; but this ignorance of the English language and obsession with non-celebrity makes my eyes itch and my teeth bleed. :D

Heat, Hello, Now and Nuts are all vultures, they feed on the weak amongst us, caring only for their fill of sales and advert revenue. :lol:

They exist solely to perpetuate their own existence, their stories are there, not to further debate raise awareness or challenge establishment, they're there to sell the next copy.

p.s. When did reading challenging books, listening to original music or speaking properly become a bad thing?

It didn't.

Correcting a blokes grammar during a conversation on the other hand :lol:

I'm picturing you as Brian Sewell now.

Oh I wouldn't say that. He used to have a Jack Vettriano as an avatar. Sewell would be seething :lol:

If someone tried to correct my grammar when I was speaking to them I'd think they were an absolute pedantic arsehole.

Fish invented the word pedantic iyam .....

Fish invented the word pedantic iyam .....

If only wishing made it so :lol: