Something to save up for

The Fish

FA confirm World Cup bid

Last updated: 31st October 2007

FA confirm World Cup bid

Wembley: Venue for 2018 final?

The Football Association have confirmed that England will bid to host the 2018 World Cup.

Fifa's decision to end the policy of rotating the event between continents has thrown the 2018 race wide open.

A bid for the 2018 finals has been muted for some time with British prime minister Gordon Brown having already thrown the government's weight behind a bid.

After a board meeting on Wednesday The FA have now confirmed they will launch a bid for the 2018 finals.

England last hosted the World Cup in 1966 when they ended up winning it and they lost out to Germany for the right to host the 2006 finals.

England are likely to face stiff competition in the battle to stage the finals as Australia, China, Mexico, USA, Japan, Russia, Spain and a joint bid from Belgium and Netherlands are all in the running for the right to host the tournament.

FA chairman Geoff Thompson said: "I'm delighted to announce our intention to bid to host the World Cup in 2018.

"This follows Fifa's announcement on Monday that the previous rotation policy will be discontinued, and the positive comments made by FIFA president Sepp Blatter.

"The tremendous support from Prime Minister Gordon Brown and his government has also been a key consideration in today's decision.

"I'm delighted the FA board have been so positive in their support for a bid. It would be tremendous for English football and the whole country if we are successful."

FA chief executive Brian Barwick added: "This is a great moment for all of us who love the game in this country. The excitement and expectation from the public to a prospective bid has been incredible.

"It is very clear that the English football public want to see the World Cup back in this country."

Richard Caborn, Prime Minister Gordon Brown's World Cup ambassador, also expressed his delight at the news.

"I am delighted at this hugely positive announcement from the Football Association," noted Caborn.

"I look forward to working closely with them to promote their bid to bring the

greatest prize in football to this country for the first time in 52 years."

I'll take my kid(s) if we win the bid :lol:

DEATH AND GLORY

Having realised there's no other way they're going to qualify, this afternoon the FA finally launched the nation on the road to World Cup host-dom, throwing its hat into the ring for 2018 and confidently declaring: "Football's coming home. Unless it goes to China instead."

But it's not all good news. It being Halloween, there could be no better time to break the following to the nation's football fans: if England is to host the World Cup, many, many people must die.

That's because Fifa always seem to look for one killer statistic when choosing which countries should get the nod. In South Africa, picked to host the 2010 event, there are 39.5 murders per 100,000 people each year - making it the second most bloodthirsty nation in the world. Brazil, who will welcome the footballing fraternity in 2014, is not far behind with 27. Latest figures suggest that the figure in England and Wales is just 1.62. Of our rumoured rivals, Russia (19.8) look set to make a killing but even they must hope that world-beating Venezuela (42) don't decide to have a go.

Clearly if the world's favourite sporting competition is ever to return to these shores, the government must totally lose control of our streets. Gang warfare and gun crime must spiral. A convenient excuse - overcrowding, say - must be invented to let judges release scores of scary evildoers. So let us be the first to thank Gordon Brown and his team for backing the bid so emphatically so far. With support like that maybe football actually will come home. But if it does, you can bet it'll be wearing an ankle tag.

FA confirm World Cup bid

Last updated: 31st October 2007

FA confirm World Cup bid

Wembley: Venue for 2018 final?

The Football Association have confirmed that England will bid to host the 2018 World Cup.

Fifa's decision to end the policy of rotating the event between continents has thrown the 2018 race wide open.

A bid for the 2018 finals has been muted for some time with British prime minister Gordon Brown having already thrown the government's weight behind a bid.

After a board meeting on Wednesday The FA have now confirmed they will launch a bid for the 2018 finals.

England last hosted the World Cup in 1966 when they ended up winning it and they lost out to Germany for the right to host the 2006 finals.

England are likely to face stiff competition in the battle to stage the finals as Australia, China, Mexico, USA, Japan, Russia, Spain and a joint bid from Belgium and Netherlands are all in the running for the right to host the tournament.

FA chairman Geoff Thompson said: "I'm delighted to announce our intention to bid to host the World Cup in 2018.

"This follows Fifa's announcement on Monday that the previous rotation policy will be discontinued, and the positive comments made by FIFA president Sepp Blatter.

"The tremendous support from Prime Minister Gordon Brown and his government has also been a key consideration in today's decision.

"I'm delighted the FA board have been so positive in their support for a bid. It would be tremendous for English football and the whole country if we are successful."

FA chief executive Brian Barwick added: "This is a great moment for all of us who love the game in this country. The excitement and expectation from the public to a prospective bid has been incredible.

"It is very clear that the English football public want to see the World Cup back in this country."

Richard Caborn, Prime Minister Gordon Brown's World Cup ambassador, also expressed his delight at the news.

"I am delighted at this hugely positive announcement from the Football Association," noted Caborn.

"I look forward to working closely with them to promote their bid to bring the

greatest prize in football to this country for the first time in 52 years."

I'll take my kid(s) if we win the bid :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DEATH AND GLORY

Having realised there's no other way they're going to qualify, this afternoon the FA finally launched the nation on the road to World Cup host-dom, throwing its hat into the ring for 2018 and confidently declaring: "Football's coming home. Unless it goes to China instead."

But it's not all good news. It being Halloween, there could be no better time to break the following to the nation's football fans: if England is to host the World Cup, many, many people must die.

That's because Fifa always seem to look for one killer statistic when choosing which countries should get the nod. In South Africa, picked to host the 2010 event, there are 39.5 murders per 100,000 people each year - making it the second most bloodthirsty nation in the world. Brazil, who will welcome the footballing fraternity in 2014, is not far behind with 27. Latest figures suggest that the figure in England and Wales is just 1.62. Of our rumoured rivals, Russia (19.8) look set to make a killing but even they must hope that world-beating Venezuela (42) don't decide to have a go.

Clearly if the world's favourite sporting competition is ever to return to these shores, the government must totally lose control of our streets. Gang warfare and gun crime must spiral. A convenient excuse - overcrowding, say - must be invented to let judges release scores of scary evildoers. So let us be the first to thank Gordon Brown and his team for backing the bid so emphatically so far. With support like that maybe football actually will come home. But if it does, you can bet it'll be wearing an ankle tag.

Where's that from? Guardian?

Australia planning to bid apparently. Now that I would actually prefer to poxy Wembley, as I want to go there as well as Brazil. If I never go to Wembley in my life it wouldn't bother me one bit (NUFC finals excluded of course)