Is My Ipod Fucked?

David Kelly

If anyone has any ideas of what I can do other than get a new ipod I would be most gratefull.

The problem is, when I am adding music I keep getting messages saying something like this Ipod is corrupted and cannot be synced. When I then eject it I find that all of my music is gone.

If I then reconnect it, it then shows that I have however many gig on there as other (ie it's not registering as music any more).

This has happened a few times and I've had to restore the thing and start adding music again which works for a while (although a hell of a lot slower than it used to) but then when I get much past 10 gig it just crashes again.

It's now done it again but I've only managed to get about 50 songs on and it's starting to go funny again.

Anyone had similar experiences?

If anyone has any ideas of what I can do other than get a new ipod I would be most gratefull.

The problem is, when I am adding music I keep getting messages saying something like this Ipod is corrupted and cannot be synced. When I then eject it I find that all of my music is gone.

If I then reconnect it, it then shows that I have however many gig on there as other (ie it's not registering as music any more).

This has happened a few times and I've had to restore the thing and start adding music again which works for a while (although a hell of a lot slower than it used to) but then when I get much past 10 gig it just crashes again.

It's now done it again but I've only managed to get about 50 songs on and it's starting to go funny again.

Mine did the same last week. No problem adding stuff once restored though, I'm up to 19Gig so far.

The second generation one(s) I had were a nightmare. Sent two back to apple and they send you another reconditioned one before they even look at yours. Excellent customer service.

Just register at apple.com and tell them about it, they'll send you a pre-paid box to send it back to them.

Mine did the same last week. No problem adding stuff once restored though, I'm up to 19Gig so far.

The second generation one(s) I had were a nightmare. Sent two back to apple and they send you another reconditioned one before they even look at yours. Excellent customer service.

Just register at apple.com and tell them about it, they'll send you a pre-paid box to send it back to them.

Even if it's miles out of the warranty?

Ah, well, I'm not sure about that. You not got new for old insurance?

House insurance you mean? I think wor lass skimped on that so I think I might still be fucked.

House insurance you mean? I think wor lass skimped on that so I think I might still be fucked.

It sounds like the hard drive is fucked and there's not much can be done if that's the case and you haven't got extended warranty already - it would probably be cheaper just to get a new iPod (and yes, I know you specifically stated that wasn't an option you wanted to entertain)

Hows your battery doing if you've had it a while?

The battery replacement scheme doesn't actually replace the battery in your ipod, but they send you a reconditioned unit.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/battery/

If you could send it in working condition (which you can according to your description) you could be sorted for a lot less than a new ipod....and they'll give you a six month warranty on the replacement unit I think.

It sounds like the hard drive is fucked and there's not much can be done if that's the case and you haven't got extended warranty already - it would probably be cheaper just to get a new iPod (and yes, I know you specifically stated that wasn't an option you wanted to entertain)

Yeah, tbh I expected that was the case (although I have ran I diagnostic on the hard drive in the past and it came back ok) and I'm going to Florida in May when I was planning on getting a new one. But I was hoping for a short term solution if nothing else.

The battery replacement scheme doesn't actually replace the battery in your ipod, but they send you a reconditioned unit.

If you could send it in working condition (which you can according to your description) you could be sorted for a lot less than a new ipod....and they'll give you a six month warranty on the replacement unit I think.

It's not too bad but it has dropped a lot from when I first bought it.

This might be an option but is it available outside the US?

It's not too bad but it has dropped a lot from when I first bought it.

This might be an option but is it available outside the US?

What am I, your Google monkey? :lol:

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/ipod/service/battery/

• 1 year later...

Ipod just died on me yesterday.

:angry:

In the past I've gladly taken the opportunity to get the newer model, but those pissy little Itouch fuckers wouldn't hold my Dylan collection let alone everything else I require.

I'm going to have a whack at replacing the battery myself. Can anyone recommend a place to get the cheapest trustworthy internal batteries?

People endlessly complaining about the little pieces of plastic shit they buy. What exactly do people expect? These things are designed to stop working after one or two years.

Edited by Park Life

People endlessly complaining about the little pieces of plastic shit they buy. What exactly do people expect? These things are designed to stop working after one or two years.

Steam engines are the way forward (seriously). :angry:

Where's anyone complained?

Write a fucking letter and put it under your pillow, in the morning your piece of white shit (ipod) will be magically replaced by a gun. Put gun to head. :angry:

Write a fucking letter and put it under your pillow, in the morning your piece of white shit (ipod) will be magically replaced by a gun. Put gun to head. :angry:

Clearly your time of the month.

It's black.

:(

It's black.

<_<

It's black.

It's black.

What a belter.

£11.99 battery from ipoddoctor arrived today. Just whacked it in following the very simple instructions provided and my ipod is back to it's old glory.

£150 saved on shelling out for a replacement.

:jesuswept:

I'm going to order a replacement battery for my third generation Ipod that's sat in the bottom draw for a few years now. Go proper retro.

ipod_dock_connector_third_generation-thumb.jpg

How were they deemed to be so good looking?

• 8 months later...

How easy was it to replace HF? The battery is fucked on mine, just won't hold charge. Bear in mind I'm a ham fisted numpty who has a nasty habit of finding things left over whenever I take things apart and put them back together.

How easy was it to replace HF? The battery is fucked on mine, just won't hold charge. Bear in mind I'm a ham fisted numpty who has a nasty habit of finding things left over whenever I take things apart and put them back together.

Very simple....the hardest part is just getting the case off.

Very simple....the hardest part is just getting the case off.

Cheers, I'll give it a try.