Prague

Meenzer

Off to Prague this weekend for the first time. We're staying with a British friend who's lived over there for a year or two, so we should be able to avoid the stag weekend hordes (to an extent) and be guided around most of the relevant sights, but if any of you lot have been before and have any tips or wee bits of inside information to share, please do holler. :lol:

I don't know what it's like at this time of year but the castle gardens were pretty cool in the summer. Great views and a chance to get out of the crowds. I like Vysehrad too, the original castle a little walk down the river.

Get ya self up the TV tower, hopefully it wont be as hazy as it was when I was in Munich last week and you might get a decent view. Whilst youre there Zizkov is a cool place to get some dead cheap bait and beer nee tourists (well hardly any, just me).

Er i'll put on my thinking cap, but my favourite thing to do in Prague is just be there.

Cheers. :lol: That last sentence makes it sound like my kind of place already.

I went to see the ballet at the sate opera house (amazing building top of W. square turn left)

Found the clock to be crap

Best part of prague for me was the side of the river opposite the side with the square on it ( :lol: )

Good wine bar down near bottom on left (looking form top of square) locals use a lot

Nice place downside is the brits to be honest

By the way anyone want to make something of me going to the ballet :lol:

Edited by bobbyshinton

Cheers. :lol: That last sentence makes it sound like my kind of place already.

I went to see the ballet at the sate opera house (amazing building top of W. square turn left)

Found the clock to be crap

Best part of prague for me was the side of the river opposite the side with the square on it ( :D )

Good wine bar down near bottom on left (looking form top of square) locals use a lot

Nice place downside is the brits to be honest

By the way anyone want to make something of me going to the ballet :lol:

Not a patch on the one near the Grainger Market? :lol:

Prague is nice and small, everything worth seeing is easily walkable, but beware of crafty pickpockets who approach you in the street at night making out they're handing out flyers for nightclubs etc, only to whip your wallet off you. Happened to a mate of mine on his stag do and put a bit of a downer on things for a while. Not that it would be of much interest to you anyway, but at the weekend you'll see the seedy side of Prague come to the fore - including great big fat pimps trying to flog midget girls for group sex with stag parties. Yup, I kid you not...midgets being touted around for group sex sessions for what really was quite a staggeringly cheap price. :lol:

Loved Prague, Wenceslas Square was a bit like Northumberland Street tho, the Old Town Square is nice and I liked the clock!! did a "small" walking tour (which turned out to be 6 hours long :lol: ). The Gothic Cathedral is beautiful as are the Palace gardens and the Ossuary. If you stray off the main "touristy" areas we found some cracking bars which the locals use and had a great banter with them. For some strange reason they absolutely love amber and there are some hideous jewellery shops with great big lumps of the stuff for sale :lol: watch out for taxis as they can be a bit of rip off so only use recommended firms. There is a bar just off the old town square , down a side street from where the English and Irish bars are , called the Alcohol Bar ( easy one to remember) played live jazz and had table service which was exceptional. They hand you a 42 page "drink" menu for you to choose your drink...every brand of alcohol known to man, and some rather fine cocktails including huge non-alcoholic ones which have about half of M&S fruit department in them :lol: I am looking to go back next year in Feb or March....enjoy !

I've been on a stag do. :lol:

It was a great laugh, but it was more down to the people involved than anything.

The statue thing tickled me. They know their market.

praguepantiessculpturejpf0.jpg

One thing - don't be tempted by the large sausages from blokes on the street, they look gorgeous but are full of jaw-bouncers. Yes, I know how that will read. :lol:

I've been on a stag do. :lol:

It was a great laugh, but it was more down to the people involved than anything.

The statue thing tickled me. They know their market.

praguepantiessculpturejpf0.jpg

One thing - don't be tempted by the large sausages from blokes on the street, they look gorgeous but are full of jaw-bouncers. Yes, I know how that will read. :lol:

:lol: I have a photo of that too :D

Loved Prague, Wenceslas Square was a bit like Northumberland Street tho, the Old Town Square is nice and I liked the clock!! did a "small" walking tour (which turned out to be 6 hours long :lol: ). The Gothic Cathedral is beautiful as are the Palace gardens and the Ossuary. If you stray off the main "touristy" areas we found some cracking bars which the locals use and had a great banter with them. For some strange reason they absolutely love amber and there are some hideous jewellery shops with great big lumps of the stuff for sale :lol: watch out for taxis as they can be a bit of rip off so only use recommended firms. There is a bar just off the old town square , down a side street from where the English and Irish bars are , called the Alcohol Bar ( easy one to remember) played live jazz and had table service which was exceptional. They hand you a 42 page "drink" menu for you to choose your drink...every brand of alcohol known to man, and some rather fine cocktails including huge non-alcoholic ones which have about half of M&S fruit department in them :lol: I am looking to go back next year in Feb or March....enjoy !

That pretty much nails it tbh.

Just stroll across Charles' Bridge and wander up to the 'castle'. See Golden Lane and back into the city centre and you're laughing. Gorgeous place, nice people and reasonably priced. :D

I forgot to mention the Jewish quarter with all the fancy designer shops....the church and cemetary there is quite moving with pictures the jewish children drew during the war :lol: quite sad.

Did you have a nice dirty weekend away then Meenzer?

Nar, ended up crippled by the man-flu for most of the trip. Didn't stop us doing most of the above sights and bits and bobs though. :razz: