Owen dismisses exit talk.

Jimbo

Michael Owen has rubbished fresh speculation linking him with a move away from Newcastle.

The England striker's future has been the subject of conjecture almost since he arrived at St James' Park in 2005, and the latest rumours suggest Manchester City are once again tracking him with interest.

Owen is puzzled by the regularity of the reports but has told supporters that he remains committed to The Magpies.

"There's been speculation since I signed and I don't know where it's come from," he told Sky Sports News.

"But actions speak louder than words and I'm still here, I'm still loving my time here.

"It seems like not a month goes by without somebody saying I'm leaving.

Frustration

"It's water off a duck's back to me, I've had worse things thrown at me in my career, but I feel sorry for the fans, it must be so frustrating for them.

"I'm looking forward to continuing the season with Newcastle and hopefully we can do well."

Owen does not believe he could have done any more to dispel talk from those who doubt his loyalty to Newcastle.

He explained: "I've said many times that I'm happy here. Speculation has followed me since I've been here and I can't do anything about that.

"I always say the right things and every time I play I try my hardest."

I read the same article here:

http://msnsport.skysports.com/story/0,1952...2841770,00.html

There is also a video which goes into more detail. Listen to the bit about the fans and why he choses not to comment on paper speculation. Very level headed IMO.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/b...bctid1284277109

I suppose some will argue this should have been said sooner but I guess he can't win in that respect.

Edited by maggiespaws

"There's been speculation since I signed and I don't know where it's come from, But actions speak louder than words and I'm still here, I'm still loving my time here.

"It seems like not a month goes by without somebody saying I'm leaving. It's water off a duck's back to me, I've had worse things thrown at me in my career, but I feel sorry for the fans, it must be so frustrating for them.

"I'm looking forward to continuing the season with Newcastle and hopefully we can do well.

"I've said many times that I'm happy here. Speculation has followed me since I've been here and I can't do anything about that.

Where does he say he won't leave?

"There's been speculation since I signed and I don't know where it's come from, But actions speak louder than words and I'm still here, I'm still loving my time here.

"It seems like not a month goes by without somebody saying I'm leaving. It's water off a duck's back to me, I've had worse things thrown at me in my career, but I feel sorry for the fans, it must be so frustrating for them.

"I'm looking forward to continuing the season with Newcastle and hopefully we can do well.

"I've said many times that I'm happy here. Speculation has followed me since I've been here and I can't do anything about that.

Where does he say he won't leave?

In the video he says he's not asked for a new contract, not does he expect one. He sign for 4 years and he still has to years to go. He's not in a position for one yet

He makes comment on how the press twist things he says to be something else - he used the contract as an example. However, nor he or his agent have asked for one and the club has not offered him one. He also mentioned this was why he chose not to come out and say things to the press and they twist it anyway. As far as he is concerned he wants to let his football do the talking. The guy is a pro.

I think he's already come out and said he's not leaving anytime soon when he signed the revised contract removing the clause did he not? Actions speak louder than words. By signing that he was saying he's not leaving or looking to leave, otherwise why would he sign something which makes it more diffucult for him to leave. I don't know what else he has to do to win some people over.

We have more important things to worry about than Owen's contract. Like why can't we create anything in midfield and why can't we win away from home!

Give him the ball and he'll invariably score. We need to concentrate on getting him the ball.

Edited by maggiespaws

I think he's already come out and said he's not leaving anytime soon when he signed the revised contract removing the clause did he not? Actions speak louder than words. By signing that he was saying he's not leaving or looking to leave, otherwise why would he sign something which makes it more diffucult for him to leave. I don't know what else he has to do to win some people over.

I never had a clue he'd even signed a revised contract, never mind said he's not leaving. When was this?

I never had a clue he'd even signed a revised contract, never mind said he's not leaving. When was this?

It's ok I googled it. The original clause was for last summer and the transfer window only. He's not signed away anything he had originally, it's just lapsed.

Nothing to this. I think he should have his press agent put together one of these every week and just have it read off by a talking clock or something. He'll dismiss exit talk until the day (should it come) when he leaves.

Nothing to this. I think he should have his press agent put together one of these every week and just have it read off by a talking clock or something. He'll dismiss exit talk until the day (should it come) when he leaves.

Piss off.

Fucking redneck :lol:

Fucking redneck :D

:lol: I think we can muster a more constructive response than Xenophobia, even if our Stateside friend might be being a bit of a muppet :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, this kind of response is standard fare from those who will hound him till he leaves then proudly say 'I told you so'.

I was quite serious. Of course he's going to rubbish any kind of link away from SJP. There's no way he's going to go "Actually, I was looking at my options..." because then people would really be out for his blood. Obviously he's going to keep saying his future lies at NUFC, even if he doesn't think it does. It's just common sense. Which you lot seem to forget when responding to me.

It's a total non-story. Doesn't even bear printing. Should just have one automatically prepared and change the date on it every week. Not sure why you guys reacted the way you did, besides that you think I'm a redneck. I live in New York.

p.s. for my part, I don't think he's going anywhere. I think he'd much prefer to ride the gravy train here.

Of course he won't say anything

Of course he would say this

Of course he would say that

Of course he's going to score goals

just consider his magness!

FUCK OFF YOU RETARD!!!!

FUCK OFF YOU RETARD!!!!

Weapons of mass distrustion tbh.

FUCK OFF YOU RETARD!!!!

Another moron incapable of common sense. Honestly, R|CO, who are you and why do you have something (nonsensical) to say about everything I write?

Simple version for you: Anyone can and will say they're not going. Managers insist they will be the ones to save their team up to the minute they get sacked. Owen can say he's not going until the cows come home and it doesn't make a whit of difference. It is a non-story.

If I had made another account and posted what I did, or if this article were about, let's say Emre, nobody would have had any comment. You are honestly just looking for excuses to go after me, and looking for hidden meanings in what I write. There aren't any.

It seems some people have already made their minds up about Owen and will put a negative slant on anything he says. I took it to be a pretty positive interview though and it's difficult for him to say he's definitely staying beyond his current contract at the present time because he just doesn't know what will happen. I hope he scores the winner again today anyway.

Another moron incapable of common sense. Honestly, R|CO, who are you and why do you have something (nonsensical) to say about everything I write?

Simple version for you: Anyone can and will say they're not going. Managers insist they will be the ones to save their team up to the minute they get sacked. Owen can say he's not going until the cows come home and it doesn't make a whit of difference. It is a non-story.

If I had made another account and posted what I did, or if this article were about, let's say Emre, nobody would have had any comment. You are honestly just looking for excuses to go after me, and looking for hidden meanings in what I write. There aren't any.

The thing is mate, this is exactly what you wanted him to say, now that he's said it, you're saying that it's not enough.

are you truly expecting him to tattoo "I LOVE NEWCASTLE" on his forehead?

What exactly do you expect from the modern footballer in terms of commitment?

The thing is mate, this is exactly what you wanted him to say, now that he's said it, you're saying that it's not enough.

are you truly expecting him to tattoo "I LOVE NEWCASTLE" on his forehead?

What exactly do you expect from the modern footballer in terms of commitment?

A nice shiny helmet, body armour and a high five every time he makes a touch down