Winter Break

sweetleftpeg

I see players, certain managers, and the PFA are all calling for a winter break again. What everyone's view on it? I'm not going to jump on the 'footballers are overpaid and pampered' bandwagon, but I quite like the Christmas and New Year fixtures and wouldn't like to see them go tbh. Also, they already complain of fixture congestion, surely a two week break would cause more congestion? Plus, the whole point of the break seems to be to benefit the national team, not club teams.

I see players, certain managers, and the PFA are all calling for a winter break again. What everyone's view on it? I'm not going to jump on the 'footballers are overpaid and pampered' bandwagon, but I quite like the Christmas and New Year fixtures and wouldn't like to see them go tbh. Also, they already complain of fixture congestion, surely a two week break would cause more congestion? Plus, the whole point of the break seems to be to benefit the national team, not club teams.

I think it would only work if we had less teams in the league. Benefitting the national team wouldn't be a bad thing, our players usually look shagged out at tournements (well, they won't next summer). The break doesn't have to be over Christmas, it could be the first few weeks of January I suppose.

Aye, I was thinking the same. Or have a few weeks where you play several rounds of the FA/League Cups but no league matches, so teams can rest their star players if they want, but at the risk of being tonked by some lower-league rabble. Maybe.

Aye, I was thinking the same. Or have a few weeks where you play several rounds of the FA/League Cups but no league matches, so teams can rest their star players if they want, but at the risk of being tonked by some lower-league rabble. Maybe.

That's not the worst idea in the world. I wouldn't want less teams in the league though, I find the PL insular as it is and cutting it by another two would only widen the gap.

Cut back the champions league to the champions of each league.

Won't happen though I agree with you. Too much money at stake for the big clubs. The G14 clubs would just threaten to break away again.

Won't happen though I agree with you. Too much money at stake for the big clubs. The G14 clubs would just threaten to break away again.

But then more money would get paid to the clubs in the waffa since they would have higher profile teams in it.

Who are the certain managers though?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7071846.stm

The ex England manager and the members of the G14 :lol:

They're the ones that perpetuate the situation, and they're the ones that bemoan it. Happy to fuck with the league so they can piss about trouncing backwater teams like Slavia Prague in no contests.

Bring back the cup winners cup!!!

Half the number of UEFA cup entrants and scrap the intertoto!!!!!

Have a megasupercup with just us in!!!1!1one`11!

They're the ones that perpetuate the situation, and they're the ones that bemoan it. Happy to fuck with the league so they can piss about trouncing backwater teams like Slavia Prague in no contests.

Good point that. All about the money though, eh?

Good point that. All about the money though, eh?

Aye.

As has been pointed out by others. We've only played 3 games in the last 34 days. But coming up we've got 10 games in 43 days.

It's a shocking state of affairs.

LEAVE THINGS AS THEY ARE. :lol:

NO WINTER BREAK. The close season is bad enough and these international breaks do my fuckin' head in :lol:

NO CHANGE TO EASTER PROGRAMME (I haven't heard owt about this, but it would certainly follow imo)

NO CELTIC OR RANGERS IN ENGLISH FOOTBALL.

NO REDUCTION IN THE SIZE OF THE TOP DIVISION.

LEAVE THINGS ALONE FFS.

LEAVE THINGS AS THEY ARE. :lol:

NO WINTER BREAK. The close season is bad enough and these international breaks do my fuckin' head in :lol:

NO CHANGE TO EASTER PROGRAMME (I haven't heard owt about this, but it would certainly follow imo)

NO CELTIC OR RANGERS IN ENGLISH FOOTBALL.

NO REDUCTION IN THE SIZE OF THE TOP DIVISION.

LEAVE THINGS ALONE FFS.

Apart from the offside rule of course...that has to change every season.

I like Meenzers idea, obviously you've got no chance of it coming to fruition but it's not a bad idea.

the smaller clubs would be able to gear up for a spell of big games against more illustrious opposition and the bigger clubs could (as has been said) rest their star players.

I've read a few good articles before about how not just football but sport in general is going down the shitter due to players being over extended due to the financial incentive to play and play and play - when was the last time you really saw an electrifying World Cup for example? By the time it comes round the players are wasted.

I've read a few good articles before about how not just football but sport in general is going down the shitter due to players being over extended due to the financial incentive to play and play and play - when was the last time you really saw an electrifying World Cup for example? By the time it comes round the players are wasted.

Kevin Pietersen, amongst others, has complained about the amount of international cricket being played. Far too many one day internationls are played, for example.