Stupid Laptop, Stupid Vista, Stupid DVD Drive

Steve

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here can help me because PC World's tech guys are uterly USELESS. Also, I'm utterly useless which doesn't help matters.

Sooo...

My laptop doesn't recognise my DVD drive anymore. I still have power to the drive because the draw still opens and when I put a disc in it still spins. However, when you open My Computer there's no DVD drive present, it's not present in Device Manager and there's no optical drive found when you hit F2 at start up and do all of that business that I'm frankly scared off because I'm pretty dumb.

As I don't want to have my computer leave me for two weeks, anyone have any tips? The tech support monkeys claim it's Vista being a bitch. Anyone else had any issues?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here can help me because PC World's tech guys are uterly USELESS. Also, I'm utterly useless which doesn't help matters.

Sooo...

My laptop doesn't recognise my DVD drive anymore. I still have power to the drive because the draw still opens and when I put a disc in it still spins. However, when you open My Computer there's no DVD drive present, it's not present in Device Manager and there's no optical drive found when you hit F2 at start up and do all of that business that I'm frankly scared off because I'm pretty dumb.

As I don't want to have my computer leave me for two weeks, anyone have any tips? The tech support monkeys claim it's Vista being a bitch. Anyone else had any issues?

That happened to me when I had i-tunes installed. Exactly the same problem, but all I had to do was a system restore from before I installed it and it appeared again.

Hey Mr Hayton, thanks for the replies, I appreciate the help.

The update claims that it doesn't apply to my system and the registry fix I tried over the weekend with no success. The thing is, device manager doesn't even recognise that there's a DVD drive present and in the BIOS thing at the start it claims there's no optical drive.

Is it an iTunes compatibility issue? I only ask because since I deleted the filters I get a warning whenever I open iTunes saying "The register settings used by iTunes are missing, please reinstall iTunes." Should I get rid of it?

Hey Mr Hayton, thanks for the replies, I appreciate the help.

The update claims that it doesn't apply to my system and the registry fix I tried over the weekend with no success. The thing is, device manager doesn't even recognise that there's a DVD drive present and in the BIOS thing at the start it claims there's no optical drive.

Is it an iTunes compatibility issue? I only ask because since I deleted the filters I get a warning whenever I open iTunes saying "The register settings used by iTunes are missing, please reinstall iTunes." Should I get rid of it?

Simply uninstalling i-tunes didn't fix the problem for me. I was told it was a compatibility issue with my Packard Bell and a simple system restore got it up and running again.

• 1 month later...

Windows Vista is dreadful. Released far too early before they'd fnished with it. Sounds like Win 98/2000/Me all over again to me. I was required to get it on my laptop for law school and none of the equipment at the school is compatible with it (printers, etc.)

As for iTunes, I just got an iPod for x-mas and dammit I hate all macs and everything to do with them. I can't think of a less user-friendly mp3 interface that I've ever used.

Guest Patrokles
Windows Vista is dreadful. Released far too early before they'd fnished with it. Sounds like Win 98/2000/Me all over again to me. I was required to get it on my laptop for law school and none of the equipment at the school is compatible with it (printers, etc.)

As for iTunes, I just got an iPod for x-mas and dammit I hate all macs and everything to do with them. I can't think of a less user-friendly mp3 interface that I've ever used.

... Seriously? :good:

Each to their own I guess. I love iTunes though. Never had a mac or intend to. Cracking bit of software imo though.

On Vista, I actually think its canny now providing you have the system to run it.

• 1 month later...

Looking to get a new laptop soonish. Should I go for XP as some places still offer it as an alternative?

Is Vista going to mess with my downloads?

Streaming?

Also I have XP on disk somewhere is it madness to reformat the hard drive and wipe Vista and install XP again?

Help appreciated. :lol:

Looking to get a new laptop soonish. Should I go for XP as some places still offer it as an alternative?

Streaming?

Also I have XP on disk somewhere is it madness to reformat the hard drive and wipe Vista and install XP again?

Help appreciated. :lol:

I'd go with Vista, its much better now than when it first came out, more titles are compatible and programmed with Vista in mind, before long you won't be able to avoid Vista.

Streaming?

Help appreciated. :P

I'd go with Vista, its much better now than when it first came out, more titles are compatible and programmed with Vista in mind, before long you won't be able to avoid Vista.

What about downloads and streaming is it a menace?

Streaming?

I use bitTorrent and streaming on my Vista machine.

Streaming?

I use bitTorrent and streaming on my Vista machine.

Ok. Thanks. :D

http://h41306.www4.hp.com/itemDetails?SID=...6d37224171d2019

Any good? Doesn't specify graphics card though.

If you want a gaming laptop you might need to spend a bit more.

I'm not too fussed about gaming anymore, rarely get a chance to now that I've got a daughter, I only usually play FM now.

Got me 360 for proper gaming. :P

Edited by Besty

I'm not too fussed about gaming anymore, rarely get a chance to now that I've got a daughter, I only usually play FM now.

Got me 360 for proper gaming. :P

the same Xbox that i hammer you on :D

Got me 360 for proper gaming. <_<

the same Xbox that i hammer you on :(

"Micky score an own goal please, I'll give you a fiver."

:nufc:

Got me 360 for proper gaming. <_<

the same Xbox that i hammer you on :)

:nufc:

"I finally won"

:(

Got me 360 for proper gaming. :nufc:

the same Xbox that i hammer you on :)

:(

"I finally won"

:)

At least I'm not making the quotes up. <_<

Got me 360 for proper gaming. :(

the same Xbox that i hammer you on :D

"I finally won"

At least I'm not making the quotes up. :nufc:

<_<

"If you score here I'll cry"

did i make that up aswel :D