NUFC v Portsmouth

janu

They were better in every department. The worrying thing is they're the first decent team we've played and they fucking twatted us. Smith was shite, Barton is blatantly not match fit and Owen is wasted when your hoofing high balls to him all game.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were better in every department. The worrying thing is they're the first decent team we've played and they fucking twatted us. Smith was shite, Barton is blatantly not match fit and Owen is wasted when your hoofing high balls to him all game.

Second decent team. The first one stuffed us too. I agree otherwise.

Hmm..I'm open to a slagging here, but until they put in the 4th (another lucky one) I didn't think we were that bad tbh. I just think it was one of those days.

After 24hrs to think about yesterday's game, I'm not sure of what to make of it. Their first goal was a hell of a strike. Then we gift them two goals. As I said earlier, our mediocre team were never going to come back from that as Pompey sat back and played a training exercise on us. Then, for the second time in two weeks, we allow a nothing ball go straight through the penalty box without someone clearing it - really worrying.

However, James did make two or three good saves proving we created something.

I think we've been bad overall so far this season. Big Sam's record demands he's given the full chance to get things right, but it has to be said this is unchartered territory for him. Establishing Bolton in the Prem and taking Newcastle on to the next level are two very different remits and arguably require completely different skill sets.

BTW if the guy who sits in the row behind me and a few seats along is a member on here can I just tell you that....Portsmouth is not in fucking London. He spent the entire match shouting about cockney bastards (at one point wanted some of them paralysed) Tosser

And as for "We are the loyalist football supporters.....", what a lot of shite. If you want to go somewhere to boo its nearly panto season. Try getting behind your team and start showing some support.

What was really worrying about Saturday is how we completely fell apart in every department after the opening goal. It was a freak strike that no keeper would have stopped but our reaction was terrible.

The players heads were all over the place and Allardyce didn't seem to have a clue what to do tbh. Keeping N'Zogbia and Milner on the wrong sides, keeping Smith on (when he was shite before his booking and much worse when on the verge of a red), bringing on Martins in place of Enrique and bringing off Milner when he had finially started to do something (he had admittedly been shite most of the game), all of this was more like something we would have expected from Souness or Roeder.

I never expected SA to immediately return us to what were under Robson but I never thought I would see one of his teams looking so unorganised or gutless.

I'm in no way suggesting we should be changing the management but there is clearly a long way to go before we can expect to see a good team.

BTW if the guy who sits in the row behind me and a few seats along is a member on here can I just tell you that....Portsmouth is not in fucking London. He spent the entire match shouting about cockney bastards (at one point wanted some of them paralysed) Tosser

And as for "We are the loyalist football supporters.....", what a lot of shite. If you want to go somewhere to boo its nearly panto season. Try getting behind your team and start showing some support.

Don't know what the reaction was around the stadium but I was well impressed with the reaction of fans up in Leazes L7 when we went 3 behind. We really got behind the team I thought, despite the shite start, actually, because of it. We had a bit of pressure and scored the goal. The half time booing was unfortunate, but we'd only got quieter since pulling one back. At that point it was up to BS to put a rocket up their arses and for a reinvigorated team to come out for the second half. The lack of second half response warranted the full time booing imo (though I didn't join in...still can't bring myself to do it).

Mind you there was a cockney sat behind us who never shut his wideboy mouth about Newcastle being "facking shit". Boiled my piss.

I'm fully expecting to finish around 10th this season. Obviously I'd like us to finish higher, but I'm aware that wholesale change won't come quickly. Ashley has to change the way Newcastle is run, Sam has to change the way we train, prepare and play the game.

I expect disappointment this season, but steady improvement over the next 2 or 3 seasons

Viduka is a miss from the squad and I can see him making enough of a difference to get us that 10th position if he's fit. Not so much Duff. There's no-one else missing though is there? Given might have saved one or two of those four goals on Saturday, but I doubt it, and there's not much in the bag for us to rely on. It's worrying that BS seems to have made the fat Aussie bastard (meant affectionately) the player our team is 'built around', choosing the aged fella, over the younger best goalscorer in England.

Hope it's not because Owen isn't "his player" and he's a petty manager like that....you could ask the same question about him starting Smith ahead of Martins.

Viduka is a miss from the squad and I can see him making enough of a difference to get us that 10th position if he's fit. Not so much Duff. There's no-one else missing though is there? Given might have saved one or two of those four goals on Saturday, but I doubt it, and there's not much in the bag for us to rely on. It's worrying that BS seems to have made the fat Aussie bastard (meant affectionately) the player our team is 'built around', choosing the aged fella, over the younger best goalscorer in England.

Hope it's not because Owen isn't "his player" and he's a petty manager like that....you could ask the same question about him starting Smith ahead of Martins.

We are missing Viduka, but that's maybe as much to do with the sort of game we're tending to play as anything.

Duff could be a massive boon, if he ever comes back from injury, but it's been so long since he's actually played and played well who knows. :razz:

I'm fully expecting to finish around 10th this season. Obviously I'd like us to finish higher, but I'm aware that wholesale change won't come quickly. Ashley has to change the way Newcastle is run, Sam has to change the way we train, prepare and play the game.

I expect disappointment this season, but steady improvement over the next 2 or 3 seasons

I'd echo these sentiments. There are easily eight or nine better squads than ours in the Prem.

There was a student in front of me with a Yorkshire accent and a lisp. The number of times he stood up and shouted "Where'th the opthionth?? Give him thum optionth!". I wanted to punch a hole in the back of his head. If I had a lisp I'd choose my sentences with a bit more care.

The highlight of the match was with 5 minutes to go when he was stood up for the 50th time ironically applauding the ref, when the bloke next to me goes "Heeya mate. Fuckin siddoon. The game was fuckin owa after 5 minutes and you're being a twat about the referee?!"

There was a student in front of me with a Yorkshire accent and a lisp. The number of times he stood up and shouted "Where'th the opthionth?? Give him thum optionth!". I wanted to punch a hole in the back of his head. If I had a lisp I'd choose my sentences with a bit more care.

The highlight of the match was with 5 minutes to go when he was stood up for the 50th time ironically applauding the ref, when the bloke next to me goes "Heeya mate. Fuckin siddoon. The game was fuckin owa after 5 minutes and you're being a twat about the referee?!"

Lithpitht tbh

Fucking hell man.

You have a go at people for not going to games, for going to games, make your mind up mate. :razz:

• 5 years later...
Caçapa – Newcastle’s Catastrophic Brazilian Import

016138956-EX00.jpg?resize=584%2C438

Ian Cusack profiles Newcastle’s second and most recent Brazilian import, the catastrophic Caçapa…

While it is notoriously difficult to define or even divine the ultimate historical importance of on-going situations, the summer of 2007 must be regarded as pivotal in the chronology of Newcastle United. Following the resignation of Glenn Roeder towards the end of the previous campaign, outgoing chairman Freddy Shepherd’s last significant act before selling the club to Mike Ashley, wherein lies a whole different narrative that we simply don’t have time to touch on here, was to appoint Sam Allardyce as manager. If the arrival of the infamous long-ball merchant and his litany of snake oil selling, blue-toothed, laptop-wielding, technocratic, camp following boffins was met with a severely underwhelming welcome, several of his signings were afforded a fair hearing, on account of the fact nobody had never heard of them before.

Alongside the perennially loathsome Joey Barton, back in the days when he cultivated an image of being the Gallagher Brothers’ Scouse cousin rather than an amalgam of Malcolm Muggeridge and Rosa Parkes, who promptly broke his foot in a pre-season game at Carlisle and disappeared until Christmas, Allardyce brought in the porcine, indolent Mark Viduka on a free from Burragh, the woeful, pedestrian Alan Smith, who’d never be a top flight player again following his broken leg at Old Trafford, the glacially-paced Geremi from Chelsea as well as unknown quantities David Rozenhal, a scrawny, incompetent centre back from Paris St. Germain who disappeared to Lazio on New Year’s Day, Jose Enrique, who turned into a superb left back after a wobbly first season and Caçapa, about who this piece is dedicated.

Having begun his career with 5 seasons at Atletico Mineiro, Caçapa left Brazil to spend 6 years with Lyon, between 2001 and 2007, where he was captain of the title winning side for 5 successive campaigns. Somewhat surprisingly, having been granted French citizenship in 2006, he opted to leave at the end of his contract the following summer; consequently, Newcastle United found themselves in receipt of a 31 year old Brazilian international for no transfer outlay. What could go wrong? At first, nothing; he made his debut as a 90th minute substitute in a 0-0 with Villa, becoming our 1,000th player used in the Premier League in the process and his full debut on September 1st as we beat Wigan 1-0. Until this point, all well and good; Newcastle were unbeaten, if a bit dull to watch and Caçapa seemed a steady, unspectacular stopper, with a large physical presence.

Newcastle’s season began to unravel with a 1-0 loss to Derby County (their only league victory all season) in the next game, that marked the end of Allardyce’s “honeymoon,” such as it was; actually it was more like a passionless union based on mutual distaste verging on loathing, with the partners staying together for the sake of the children. Following the Derby defeat, Caçapa played 4 of the next 5 games, which saw 3 convincing home wins (he even scored a header in a 3-1 victory over Spurs) and 2 atrocious away losses, until his career on Tyneside spontaneously combusted in the most spectacular fashion imaginable.

On November 3rd, Newcastle lost 4-1 at home to Portsmouth with a woeful, bedraggled showing that would not have been out of place in the North East Sunday League F Division; within 11 minutes the hosts were 3-0 down and all of the goals were in some way Caçapa’s fault as the burly stopped appeared slow to the point of immobility, cumbersome in the challenge and utterly bereft of any sense of position; Allardyce hauled him off after 18 minutes and bizarrely claimed the player “shouldn’t have started because of a hamstring injury.” Go figure…

After 6 weeks on the naughty step (1 win, 2 draws, 2 losses), Caçapa returned to the side for the frankly unwatchable 1-0 away win to Fulham, achieved by a 95th minute Barton penalty, and was improbably named Man of the Match. While the NUFC support had lost all confidence in Caçapa as a player after the Portsmouth debacle, he slotted anonymously back in the side and was not responsible for any major disasters as the hated Allardyce administration gave way to the populist fiasco of Keegan’s second coming. Indeed Caçapa scored in Keegan’s return game, a 4-1 battering of Stoke City in an FA Cup replay.

With Rozenhal gone, NUFC were short on defenders; consequently Caçapa got his game almost by default, though his limitations were obvious in results such as 0-6 and 1-5 versus Manchester United, 0-3 against Arsenal and Liverpool and 1-4 at Villa Park. He was too slow, unable to turn, poor in the tackle and positionally atrocious. Dropping out of the side in mid-March, ostensibly because of a groin injury, coincided with NUFC going on a 7 game unbeaten run that saw us finish 11th. Caçapa returned as a substitute for the second half of a meaningless 3-1 loss to Everton on the final day, in what ought to have been his farewell appearance. Surely now, with Keegan back in charge and Ashley’s billions to bankroll the club, Newcastle United would be on an upward trajectory from the summer of 2008 onwards?

nufc_5_300x400.jpg?resize=300%2C400

The slow-motion car crash that was 2008/2009, ending with relegation and recriminations at Villa Park, saw Caçapa appear 6 times for Newcastle United; a terrible 3-1 loss to West Ham, an even worse 2-1 reverse at home to Blackburn, a lucky point at Everton, an out of character comfortable 2-0 win home to Villa, an infuriating 2-2 at home to Stoke when we’d turned round 2-0 up and finally, his swan song at Fulham. To simply state we lost 2-1 does not do Caçapa’s complicity in this spirit-crushing reverse any justice. Having clawed our way back into the game courtesy of a Shola Ameobi goal, it looked likely that Newcastle would return from the capital with a draw. Bearing in mind we were relegated by a single point, the events of the 77th minute still has a degree of resonance to this day.

A Fulham cross from the left was too strong for any attackers; Caçapa at the back post six yards out ought to have allowed the waist high ball to drift harmlessly away. Instead he swung an unnecessary boot at it, misconnected and cannoned a sliced clearance off captain Coloccini’s back; we conceded, as Danny Murphy seized on a flick courtesy of the quick thinking of Andy Johnson to win the points for the Cottagers. Baldy bastards.

Throughout the rest of that pitiful pantomime of a season, whether (mis)managed by Kinnear, Hughton or Shearer, no Newcastle United team featured the ageing limbs and dim-witted thought patterns of Cláudio Roberto da Silva aka Caçapa, as Newcastle United slid out of the top division after 16 years. On July 1st 2009, Caçapa slunk unmourned out of SJP forever when his contract expired, the club failing to take up their option on a third year.

Caçapa wasn’t the worst player in Newcastle United’s history; he wasn’t even the worst Brazilian we’ve had (hello Fumaca), but he was painfully below Premiership standard and typical of both Allardyce’s inability to spot a decent player and Ashley’s refusal to spend the money we fans stump up on season tickets on players fit to wear the shirt.

Very good piece from Gene Clark, and I think this is the ideal thread to put it in. Truly a Sam Allardyce disaster this bloke.

While the NUFC support had lost all confidence in Caçapa as a player after the Portsmouth debacle, he slotted anonymously back in the side and was not responsible for any major disasters as the hated Allardyce administration gave way to the populist fiasco of Keegan’s second coming. Indeed Caçapa scored in Keegan’s return game, a 4-1 battering of Stoke City in an FA Cup replay.

I was always willing to give Gene the benefit of the doubt as he's a bit different to your usaul punter but I think he was off watching West Allotment Celtic while all this was going on and so had to research this article on NO :glare:

While the NUFC support had lost all confidence in Caçapa as a player after the Portsmouth debacle, he slotted anonymously back in the side and was not responsible for any major disasters as the hated Allardyce administration gave way to the populist fiasco of Keegan’s second coming. Indeed Caçapa scored in Keegan’s return game, a 4-1 battering of Stoke City in an FA Cup replay.

I was always willing to give Gene the benefit of the doubt as he's a bit different to your usaul punter but I think he was off watching West Allotment Celtic while all this was going on and so had to research this article on NO :glare:

I don't think he's laying any blame at Keegan's feet there mind.

I don't think he's laying any blame at Keegan's feet there mind.

Agreed, but you've posted it yourself in the past that Allardyce got a standing ovavtion from us at Stoke in the cup game before he got sacked. I was there, its true. The Keegan comment is just bizzare.

Aye that 4-1 was under Allardyce. I remember as he was sitting half way up the Milburn with his tv's and iirc when the 3rd flew in he began to leg it down the stairs to absolute dogs abuse :lol: what a shite manager he was man.

Cacapa got MOTM in his next game after Pompey showing btw.

He looked pretty good as well before that too IMO.

He was a cripple though shortly afterwards, he looked like an old man, I agree almost entirely with Ian's post. He admits there was worse, but Portsmouth in particular made him look like a very old man at 31, and he can't have been that badly injured if he started, was an excuse that. I agree he looked decent for Lyon,but that's typical Newcastle, Luque looked a world beater at times at Deportivo.