Ashley has his eye on Hughes

Jimbo

He has Hughes waiting in wings

Exclusive By Ray Ryan

SAM ALLARDYCE is facing the first crisis of his Newcastle reign — with Mark Hughes lurking in the shadows.

Big Sam and his team were booed and abused at St James' Park after yesterday's humiliating 4-1 thrashing by Portsmouth. Hundreds of fans walked out after just 11 MINUTES as Newcastle went 3-0 down, sending a clear message to chairman Mike Ashley.

Allardyce issued a grovelling apology, admitting: "I'm devastated. We were rubbish and that is the most disappointing thing, especially for the fans who expected a lot more than they got today. For me it is about rolling up my sleeves and making sure there is not another performance like that this season."

Sources close to Ashley claim there will be no knee-jerk reaction from the boardroom but the chairman is hugely unimpressed with recent performances.

The billionaire is known to be an admirer of Blackburn boss Hughes.

Here we go again, it's Newcastle United's Manager Carousel! Round and round we go, when we stop, nobody knows.

Didn't think it would start this early, but not altogether surprised.

p.s. Big Sam...in?

p.p.s. How does Ashley admiring Hughes equate to him being "waiting in the wings?"

Didn't see anyone leave when it went 0-3. Loads when it went 1-4 though.

I missed this thread!

Quite a few left their seats in 'The Corner' when the third went in - but that was for a piss and a pint rather than leave the ground imo. The media picked up on the folk leaving their seats as fans leaving the ground (there's a surpirse).

I missed this thread!

Quite a few left their seats in 'The Corner' when the third went in - but that was for a piss and a pint rather than leave the ground imo. The media picked up on the folk leaving their seats as fans leaving the ground (there's a surpirse).

Yeah a few around me got up muttering 'nuff of this shite like' and stormed out only to return a few mins later with a pie. :razz:

I missed this thread!

Yeah a few around me got up muttering 'nuff of this shite like' and stormed out only to return a few mins later with a pie. :razz:

Must be awful sitting next to Gemmill

• 3 weeks later...
Blackburn boss Mark Hughes has effectively ruled himself out of the running for the England job after agreeing a new deal with Rovers.

The 44-year-old former Wales boss has extended his stay at Ewood Park until the summer of 2010.

Hughes said: "At some point in my career I'd like to try international management again, possibly when I'm older and greyer than I am now.

"But at the moment I am not anticipating a call from the FA."

Hughes, who took charge of Blackburn in 2004, is regarded as one of the Premier League's brightest managerial prospects and Rovers chairman John Williams said the club has made "significant progress" since he arrived.

Hughes was named the Premier League manager of the month for October and Rovers currently lie seventh in the Premier League, just one spot below a European place.

He added: "I'm delighted. We've been talking for a matter of weeks and we've been able to agree on the terms of the contract. I feel there is more work to do here.

"First and foremost my job is to get results and I feel I've done that and the club itself has moved forward as well. I'm excited with what's ahead of us and there's more to come from this squad of players."

Blackburn chairman Williams said: "We are delighted he has signed a new contract - it's very good news.

"Mark has done - and continues to do - a very good job and we are very confident in his ability to drive the club forward."