Canada

Guest alex

What a stunning place Canada is, a mate of mine did the trans-Canadian railway a couple of years back, coast to coast, I'd love to do that one day.

A great trip I'd imagine... if only it actually went coast to coast though.

If anyone is planning on going I've got plenty tips on things to do and places to see btw.

Please do pass them on, love your pics and I'm planning on going next summer.

Well, I only went to British Columbia and Alberta (the Rockies). Where are you planning on going?

If anyone is planning on going I've got plenty tips on things to do and places to see btw.

Well, I only went to British Columbia and Alberta (the Rockies). Where are you planning on going?

That is actually where I was thinking of going. How long did you go, and how did you travel around?

That is actually where I was thinking of going. How long did you go, and how did you travel around?

We were there three weeks (me and wor lass). We flew to Vancouver and had a night there. We got a float plane from Vancouver to Victoria (capital of Vancouver Island) - which was the easiest way to get there but they have quite tight restrictions on luggage weight as they are quite small planes. We hired a car and went to Tofino on the west coast of Vancouver Island. The west coast is very windswept and rugged but beautiful (the whole island is beautiful). When we were there we went on a bear-watching trip and a whale-watching one and saw some Orcas (aka Killer Whales). We were there 3 nights and stayed on a studio right next to the beach. After that we drove across the island and got the ferry to Quadra Island. When we were there we went sea-kayakking which I'd highly recommend trying (you can do it anywhere more or less in coastal British Columbia). We also did a bit of hiking there. It's a really nice island. After Quadra we drove up to Port Hardy to catch the ferry to Prince Rupert. The ferry takes 15 hours but you can pay extra like we did and get a cabin if you like. It's meant to be the most picturesque ferry journey in the world and as well as the scenery we saw migrating Humpback Whales. At Prince Rupert we went on another whale-watching trip and it was the best one I've ever been on. We saw loads of Humpbacks again. The museum (First Nations, i.e. native peoples) is very good there too. After that we got the train to Jasper in the Rockies. The train was a bit dull to be honest. It takes two days (daytime only) and you have an overnight stay in Prince George. The scenery is great at the start and at the end when you get to the Rockies put not that great in between. I'm quite pleased we did it but I'd say the romantic notion of it was better than the actual reality of it - if you know what I mean. The Rockies themselves were stunning. The drive between Jasper and Banff is stunning and there's loads of accomodation around. There are also lots of the glacial lakes like the turquoise ones in the photos. We hired a canoe at Emerald Lake and we went horse-riding in Banff (both well worth doing). Then we drove to Calgary, dropped the car off and flew back to Vancouver for the last 3 nights. We stayed in a serviced apartment there which was much nicer than a hotel in my view. Vancouver is a really great city and if you do go there get yourself to Stanley Park and go up Grouse Mountain. We just booked everything ourself indepently over the internet. It was a great holiday and the Canadians seem lovely people. I'd recommend the Lonely Planet British Columbia guide book (Banff and Jasper National Parks are in bordering Alberta but they are still included in the British Columbia guide). Get it booked is my advice.

Cost?

If you dont mind me nebbing.

I've never really totted it up but we spent a canny wedge. The whole trip must have cost a few grand. It's not cheap, especially to eat out etc. and groceries weren't cheap either. Plus, the places I went were tourist sort of places a lot of the time. It's quite a bit cheaper off the beaten track. Vancouver itself though has loads of cheap ethnic restaurants of every description. It's the sort of holiday where I knew I was going to spend a lot and in all honesty it was worth every penny. The flights were £550 with KLM via Amsterdam.

Prices were probably equivalent to the UK I'd say.

Edited by alex

Thanks very much for all the info, alex. I've printed it off and will take it to the girlfriend! Sounds like a great holiday, I've never been outside Europe and this is the sort of thing I would like to do next summer.

Thanks very much for all the info, alex. I've printed it off and will take it to the girlfriend! Sounds like a great holiday, I've never been outside Europe and this is the sort of thing I would like to do next summer.

No problem. Feel free to pm if you have any more questions.