Hutchings sacked as Wigan manager

Scottish Mag

Wigan have elected to sack Chris Hutchings with immediate effect, the Premier League club has announced.

Assistant manager Frank Barlow takes charge on a caretaker basis, starting with Sunday's trip to Tottenham.

In a brief statement on their website, Wigan said a fuller explanation from chairman Dave Whelan would follow.

But they did put on record their "immense gratitude" to Hutchings in contributing to the club's "meteoric rise" over the past six seasons.

Hutchings was appointed in May following the resignation of Paul Jewell.

He stepped up from his role as assistant manager under Jewell, who elected to take a break from football.

Hutchings had also succeeded Jewell at Bradford City in 2000, but lasted less than five months after winning one of 12 Premiership games.

This season in the Premier League, Wigan have collected just eight points from 12 matches to be in the relegation zone.

On Saturday they were beaten 2-0 at home by Chelsea.

It was their sixth defeat in succession, with their last league victory coming against Sunderland at the JJB Stadium on 18 August.

I'm fucking gutted I didn't post it, but I said to my mates at work as soon as he was appointed at Wigan that he'd be sacked before bon-fire night

:razz:

Former boss Paul Jewell says he would consider a return to Wigan but insists he has not been asked.

Jewell, who remains good friends with Latics chairman Dave Whelan, has been heavily linked with the job since Chris Hutchings was sacked on Monday.

He told Metro newspaper: "I'm surprised to learn I have been offered my old job back. I've had no contact with Wigan.

"But after six months away I am ready and willing to return to work. I will consider any offers that come my way."

Jewell resigned as Wigan boss in May - less than 24 hours after saving the Premier League club from relegation on the final day of the season.

He claimed he was absolutely drained and needed a break from football.

The 43-year-old joined had been in charge of Wigan for six years and in that time guided the club to the League One title in 2002-03, and in 2004-05 they finished runners-up to Sunderland in the Championship to reach the top flight for the first time in their history.

606: DEBATE

Who should be the new Wigan boss?

Wigan surprised many by finishing 10th in their first Premiership season - and they also reached the Carling Cup final.

Jewell admitted at the time of his resignation that it was extremely difficult to walk away from Wigan and it now seems he might be putting himself back in the frame.

He revealed: "I needed a break as the job consumes you 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

"I firmly believe I will return to football refreshed and a better manager.

"Talk of me returning to Wigan is a little awkward because me and Chris Hutchings are really good friends.

"I am doubly disappointed it has not worked out for him because of our relationship and the fact I recommended him for the job.

"I haven't spoken to him yet, as want to let things die down a bit before I call him.

"In the meantime I'm going to continue enjoying playing golf until I get a better offer."

Jewell has also been linked with the jobs at Leicester City and, before Gary Megson was appointed, at Bolton Wanderers.

Other names being touted as candidates for the Wigan job are Graeme Souness, Peter Reid, Joe Royle, Alex McLeish and Swansea City's Spanish manager Roberto Martinez.

But Wigan caretaker-manager Frank Barlow has ruled himself out of the running to take the job on a permanent basis.