Your Favourite Film Director Of All Time?

Tooj

A toss up between Hitchcock, Howard Hawks and John Huston for me, with Hitchcock just shading it.

The other two (particularly Hawks) mastered a much greater variety of genre's than Hitchcock who's efforts in anything other than thrillers were less sucessfull.

But the run of stonewall classics that Hitchcock produced from 1935 to 1963 (39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Notorious, Spellbound, Rebecca, North By North West, Strangers On A Train, Vertigo, Rear Window, Psycho, The Birds, Dial M For Murder, Suspicion, The Man Who Knew Too Much) has never been touched and I doubt it ever will.

John Landis:

An American Werewolf in London, Trading Places, Animal House, Blues Brothers, Coming to America, The Kentucky Fried Movie

Haven't really got a favourite but on top of some of those mentioned I like Sidney Lumet, Brian De Palma and Francis Ford Coppola.

Edit: David Lean anarl.

Edited by alex

I like Speilberg and I know I'll get a lot of stick about it, but the question was "your favourite film director of all time" not "who is critically acclaimed as the greatest director of all time.

so ner :razz:

Actually canny surprise no one has even mentioned him.

Sergio_Leone.jpg

Can someone explain the whole enjoyment of watching westerns is please, as they send me to sleep.

Only men like westerns, not women. Apparently, at times when men are at their most emasculated, the western is at it's most popular. So, after a war, or in reaction to feminism. Any time you want to see men be men.