Pension

wykikitoon

Watch out for the shit where they want to buy an annuity - catch there is they calculate it over 35 years by assuming people live to 100 which of course they don't. 

Pensions are less of a scam than they used to be when life expectancy was 67 but I still think they're a con to some extent. 

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Aye, at my age I’ve gone for medium-high risk.

I’ve spent an hour thinking about this bollocks and I’m bored to death of it.

It's very boring stuff but well worth thinking about and getting advice if you're not sure about it.  Two of my work mates are near retirement and have been very sensible with their money over the years, looks like they both will be minted and very comfortable in their retirement. 

When I got my first job in banking in 2003, I missed out on a final salary scheme which they'd closed 6 month beforehand. If I'd got on that I'd still be there now even if I was sweeping the floors. 

7 minutes ago, NJS said:

When I got my first job in banking in 2003, I missed out on a final salary scheme which they'd closed 6 month beforehand. If I'd got on that I'd still be there now even if I was sweeping the floors. 

Aye I missed out on it at NR. There was a big push last year for people to transfer out of the final salary scheme and into a normal fund. People in not that great jobs who had just been there forever were transferring out £500k to £800k pension pots. 

42 minutes ago, NJS said:

Plus side of a career average pension is you can spend the last 10 years going part time once your mortgage is paid off, and it won't absolutely fuck your pension 

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

I’m afraid you’re confusing me with @strawb

You are confusing me with someone that doesn’t have a social housing provider pension mate. I’m sorted. I think you are older than me too, so you best get your affairs I order

15 hours ago, Renton said:

Is this saying that Dutch people earn more when they retire than they do when they work? And the lazy French bastards, who retire at 55 or something daft, get the equivalent of 3/4 salary? And we get proportionately less than fucking Mexico!? 

:jesuswept:

Or am I just reading this completely wrong? :idiot:

Well there's massive protests in France at the moment* around Macron fucking with their pensions so maybe they've got something worth fighting for? Obviously us servile British have a far inferior pension than the rest of Europe, that's why we voted leave, damn their eyes!

*Apparently woefully underreported on the BBC for some reason? (I very rarely watch the BBC news at the minute so may be misinformed but I wonder if there'd be more coverage had France had a more left wing president in charge, say a Monsieur Jeremie Corbaine?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A bloke at the last place I worked at, a humble production shift worker like me, late 50s, part of the furniture, hated the job, made a bit of profit from a house sale. Instead of moving to a nicer area of the shithole that he now resides, or retiring early, he drops 70k on a used Aston Martin. Then when they offered voluntary redundancies (that he always complained were unlikely as he'd bite their hand off, such was his suffering) he refused his circa 40k payout as he feared he wouldn't be able to keep the car. What would Mr Money Moustachio advise in his position?

Edited by TheGingerQuiff