Viduka fit to face Black Cats

bawan

Sam Allardyce has been boosted by the news that Mark Viduka will be fit to play against Sunderland this weekend.

The Australian has not played for Newcastle since suffering a calf injury in the 3-1 defeat to Manchester City in late September.

But he is back in training and will come into contention for a place in the team for the Tyne-Wear derby.

"Mark has trained this week and is available for selection this weekend," Allardyce told the club's official website.

Although Viduka has been out for six weeks, Allardyce will be keen to welcome back the player who was his first signing as Magpies manager.

Viduka has so far scored three goals in six appearances for Newcastle since joining from Middlesbrough in the summer.

From SSN

I hope to heck that he starts instead of Smith. I can't help but wonder that Sam bought Smith as a favour to Fergie. Fergie probably bullied him into it and because BS is in such awe of him he gave in =/

Viduka and Martins to start please =)

You're a knacker

Yeah, we should probably leave our best striker on the bench in a must-win game. Sounds like a plan.

Who's that then? :razz:

Yeah, we should probably leave our best striker on the bench in a must-win game. Sounds like a plan.

Just like we did against Portsmouth :razz:

Viduka's fit ? Should I be saying 'yay' (as they say).

How many times have we been here before? NUFC in average mode and the fans hang their hat on a player who is coming back from injury - only for said player to come back and make not one jot of difference!

The only way we will beat the unwashed on Saturday is if the whole team play well, whether Viduka's there or not.

How many times have we been here before? NUFC in average mode and the fans hang their hat on a player who is coming back from injury - only for said player to come back and make not one jot of difference!

The only way we will beat the unwashed on Saturday is if the whole team play well, whether Viduka's there or not.

also depends on what team Big Sam picks

also depends on what team Big Sam picks

Agreed, and let's just hope he got my e-mail with who to pick! :razz:

I'd probably go with Martins and Viduka upfront for this one.

I can see your reasoning, but I wonder if Owen and Viduka would have too much 'finesse' about them to overcome the unwashed's less-than-expert defence.

If Viduka does play, and if he can hold the ball up, he and Owen could be too good for the hick's.

Who knows.

I'd like to see Roz in there somewhere (possibly in Butt's place).

I'd probably go with Martins and Viduka upfront for this one.

I can see your reasoning, but I wonder if Owen and Viduka would have too much 'finesse' about them to overcome the unwashed's less-than-expert defence.

If Viduka does play, and if he can hold the ball up, he and Owen could be too good for the hick's.

Who knows.

I'd like to see Roz in there somewhere (possibly in Butt's place).

I'd worry about our chances of getting behind the defence with those two. I think Rozenhal will play and we'll see either him or Faye in Butt's place with the other one at centre-half.

I'd go for Viduka and Owen tbh. Not because theres any major tactical thought behind that, just quite simply that at the end of the day it's likely to be a typically physical derby battle between two average teams playing very poor football. The link up play is almost irrelevant I feel, Viduka's in there to battle and to hold it up (despite probably not being anywhere near match fit), and Owen is in because it's likely to be scrappy and in those circs he's the one you'd put your money on for a poachers goal.

The bigger issue will be how the defence cope and whether the midfield protect them adequately.

You need players with a bit about them in a Derby so I wouldnt start with Owen and MArtins as I reckon they'd be crowded out. Equally you need players to keep their heads. So that rules out Smith. We have missed some strength up front so I reckon Viduka and Owen to start with Martins on the bench. Hopefully will suit our style more (what ever our style is these days) as with Viduka out, the service to Owen/Martins has been woeful.