Newcastle back in the hunt for Riquelme

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Newcastle back in the hunt for Riquelme

Newcastle have renewed their interest in Argentina playmaker Juan Roman Riquelme.

The Villarreal midfielder has been told he can leave the Spanish club after apparently falling out with both players and coaches due to his attitude.

As a result, Riquelme, 29, has not played this season and would be available for £8m should Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce table a bid.

Atletico Madrid and Brazilian side Fluminense are also keeping a close eye on proceedings, although a move to St James' Park would appear the most likely due to the opportunity of regular first-team football.

Villarreal president, Fernando Roig, said: "I think that the situation is going to be solved in December."

Meanwhile, Allardyce has received a timely injury boost ahead of Newcastle's Tyne-Wear derby against Sunderland with the return of striker Mark Viduka from a calf strain.

The Australia international has missed the club's last four games, but will be named up front alongside Michael Owen against Roy Keane's strugglers.

If hes genuinely available we should make a bid.

Lack of european football might not be that much of an issue as hes been playing in south america recently.

ahh yes, I forgot Boca didn't qualify for the UEFA cup last season :razz:

He'd be a big risk that's for certain, and I'm not just on about the nature of the English game compared to Riquelme's game as well.

I'm on about the culture element as well, as to me he doesn't seem the type who'd integrate very well.